Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
Re: $15 minimum wage [Re: 2014NITROZ-7] #13847634 01/15/21 07:57 PM
Fishingking Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by 2014NITROZ-7
Before you get excited just remember the infamous McRib will double in price.

I'll pay no matter the costs for this taste of Heaven.

Re: $15 minimum wage [Re: COFF] #13847635 01/15/21 07:57 PM
F
fishslime Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by COFF
Originally Posted by fishslime
If I have to pay a little more for a few things in life so minimum wagers who work 40 hrs/wk can afford a few things in life, I have no problem with it.

What you don't seem to understand is that the guys currently making minimum wage will be able to afford less than before. Those that keep their minimum wage jobs will make more money per hour, but the increased cost of everything across the board will mean they can afford exactly the same amount of "stuff" than they could before the wage increase.

But you also have to realize that companies will keep the same labor force with a MW increase. They will cut the number of man hours used. There are three ways to cut man hours:
1. Fewer people
2. Fewer hours per person
3. Automation

Effectively, the price for all goods and services increases. The number of people making minimum wage decreases. And the number of people unemployed and/or on welfare increases.

I have read both sides on this issue, and there are two sides definitely. My take is the side other than yours, and the facts may be in the middle.

This has been on the books for a long time with no action causing inflation to erode the $15 figure's impact to the economy. 29 states already have a $15/hr.minimum wage. Many places already pay $15/hr in other states. Not everything across the board will be affected. Most material goods are made in China, Mexico, India, etc. for one thing. Their workers obviously will not be affected. As far as services, our house cleaners make at least $20/hr. Lawn services also get that or more. Another issue is that minimum wage was enacted primarily for part-time workers - students, etc. Over time it has evolved as the wage standard for many business entities, and more and more depend on those type jobs for a full-time living wage. Hopefully, it will help some to get out of abject poverty. I'll gladly pay more for my hamburger for that cause.

Re: $15 minimum wage [Re: HasBen] #13847644 01/15/21 08:01 PM
F
Flags Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
If you work for minimum wage after the age of 18, I have zero sympathy for you. Do something to make yourself more valuable. If you are only worth the "minimum" to anybody then you made bad choices and don't deserve anything more.

Retired Navy Chief Signalman
NJROTC Instructor Tascosa High School
Re: $15 minimum wage [Re: fishslime] #13847658 01/15/21 08:10 PM
F
Flags Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
If I have to pay a little more for a few things in life so minimum wagers who work 40 hrs/wk can afford a few things in life, I have no problem with it.

Here's a challenge. So find some minimum wage earners and give them each a raise out of your own pocket. That way you can directly benefit them at your own expense. If you are not willing to do that right now then you need to STFU and go play in traffic.

Retired Navy Chief Signalman
NJROTC Instructor Tascosa High School
Re: $15 minimum wage [Re: fishslime] #13847661 01/15/21 08:11 PM
H
HasBen Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
H

What you don't seem to understand is that the guys currently making minimum wage will be able to afford less than before. Those that keep their minimum wage jobs will make more money per hour, but the increased cost of everything across the board will mean they can afford exactly the same amount of "stuff" than they could before the wage increase.

But you also have to realize that companies will keep the same labor force with a MW increase. They will cut the number of man hours used. There are three ways to cut man hours:
1. Fewer people
3. Automation

Effectively, the price for all goods and services increases. The number of people making minimum wage decreases. And the number of people unemployed and/or on welfare increases.

I have read both sides on this issue, and there are two sides definitely. My take is the side other than yours, and the facts may be in the middle.

This has been on the books for a long time with no action causing inflation to erode the $15 figure's impact to the economy. 29 states already have a $15/hr.minimum wage. Many places already pay $15/hr in other states. Not everything across the board will be affected. Most material goods are made in China, Mexico, India, etc. for one thing. Their workers obviously will not be affected. As far as services, our house cleaners make at least $20/hr. Lawn services also get that or more. Another issue is that minimum wage was enacted primarily for part-time workers - students, etc. Over time it has evolved as the wage standard for many business entities, and more and more depend on those type jobs for a full-time living wage. Hopefully, it will help some to get out of abject poverty. I'll gladly pay more for my hamburger for that cause.

Which 29 states currently have a $15/hr. minimum wage?

“There’s no such thing as too much horsepower, just not enough traction”…..Carroll Shelby
Re: $15 minimum wage [Re: fishslime] #13847669 01/15/21 08:14 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T

1. Fewer people
3. Automation

For those making $20/hr now, what will happen when the cost of living increases because of the minimum wage increase? They wont get a raise because the raises will go to increase the minimum. True, it wont effect everywhere, but it will effect way more than the minimum wage earners. It will bring a huge portion of the middle class down to poverty level because the cost will end up being passed on to the purchasers. Groceries, gas stations, food places, the list of small but essential parts of life are where the majority of minimum wage earners are, those happen to be where the raise would make the biggest trickle down impact. It could also be doubled by supply chain economics. Each part of the chain would raise prices to keep margins thus a much higher price on goods. Is there a perfect answer, I'm not sure. Minimum wage jobs arent supposed to be living wages, they are supposed to be fill in or starter jobs to gain experience and work ethic to promote one to strive for better. It's just one piece of the puzzle though

Re: $15 minimum wage [Re: fishslime] #13847674 01/15/21 08:20 PM
steveiam Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

This is no surprise coming from someone who has never had to make a payroll not tied to government-

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Re: $15 minimum wage [Re: HasBen] #13847683 01/15/21 08:27 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Didn't read this whole thread. Terrible idea though. Not sure how folks don't understand basic economics. All this will do is cause mass inflation. In fact it will actually make it worse for those who can't invest at a rate equal or greater than the resulting inflation. (Which is mostly the bottom half of the country which doesn't invest).

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: $15 minimum wage [Re: HasBen] #13847691 01/15/21 08:31 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
If you do not pay your employees said government mandated wages, what will the "new government" do?

#MFGA
Re: $15 minimum wage [Re: uncle_bagster] #13847711 01/15/21 08:44 PM
P
Patriot7Six Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted by uncle_bagster
... Walmart checkers will be a thing of the past for sure.

This has already happened here in Tyler, all of our Wal-Mart stores removed almost all of the traditional checkouts for the self-serves.

Fight the good fight - 1 Tim. 6:12 flag
Re: $15 minimum wage [Re: HasBen] #13847715 01/15/21 08:47 PM
Bigbob_FTW Offline
Big Sprocket Bob
Big Sprocket Bob

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: $15 minimum wage [Re: HasBen] #13847717 01/15/21 08:48 PM
Bigbob_FTW Offline
Big Sprocket Bob
Big Sprocket Bob

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: $15 minimum wage [Re: Patriot7Six] #13847724 01/15/21 08:51 PM
S
Sawhorse Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Patriot7Six
Originally Posted by uncle_bagster
... Walmart checkers will be a thing of the past for sure.

This has already happened here in Tyler, all of our Wal-Mart stores removed almost all of the traditional checkouts for the self-serves.

What $ amount can I steal before they’ll prosecute...can you guys beat Dallas County? If not, I’ll continue to be a patron of the ones over here.

Re: $15 minimum wage [Re: HasBen] #13847733 01/15/21 08:59 PM
TexDawg Offline
Top Dawg
Top Dawg
I guess it could have energized a bunch of current minimum wage earners to vote Democrat

Re: $15 minimum wage [Re: HasBen] #13847748 01/15/21 09:12 PM
butch sanders Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
a laborer on our job sites gets $200 a day

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide