Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Advice for a rookie #13837350 01/08/21 01:45 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
As y'all can tell from my name, I am obsessed with chasing big blues. But... this year, I'm going to try and broaden my horizons to include white bass and maybe crappie. First things first. I am blessed with lots of grandkids that want to go fishing with me. Sitting and waiting on the big blues is tough for them so I am looking for some fast action fishing. I'm am looking to the white bass for that action.

All that said, what are the top things I need to know for catching a mess of white bass? And go...

Catfish Tim
๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ
Romans 8:1

Re: Advice for a rookie [Re: Catfish Tim] #13837461 01/08/21 03:09 PM
M
Marty on CC Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Look up and read the many posts by Dennis Christian. He does an excellent job of describing his methods and techniques and has helped many on here.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Re: Advice for a rookie [Re: Marty on CC] #13837467 01/08/21 03:12 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Many thanks Marty. Been doing just that. Really appreciate the detailed posts about the how and not just pics of the what!

Catfish Tim

Re: Advice for a rookie [Re: Catfish Tim] #13837470 01/08/21 03:14 PM
Z
z289sec Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
I don't target Sandies specifically, but I can tell you this. Every sandie I caught this year, I was crappie fishing with live minnows. A school of them would come through, while we were fishing a brush pile, or some other piece of structure, and we would be pulling them in as fast as we could drop a line. Then, just like how fast they started, they stopped. Every time though, they were easily seen on the fish finder. One time they were so thick, my bottom reading changed by 8 feet, while sitting still. I would say using the sonar to find them schooling would be my go to, if I were to target them specifically. And of course, following the schools of shad as well. Their behavior, seems to loosely follow the same as most other species in the same family, like stripers, and hybrids.

Last edited by z289sec; 01/08/21 03:16 PM.
Re: Advice for a rookie [Re: Catfish Tim] #13837547 01/08/21 04:00 PM
P
prosise Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
I would share with us the lakes you like to fish, and then some people will add some info to help you. The lake makes a big difference, and when you dial in on them you will have a great time. Me and the son caught some really nice Blues last year, and some were on light line fishing for sandies. I think they like to pick up the scraps.. Take care and look forward to the info. I am just about to do some upgrading of accerrories on the boat, so I think this year will be very interesting fishing for both crappie & sandbass.

Prosise

Re: Advice for a rookie [Re: Catfish Tim] #13837553 01/08/21 04:03 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Good point prosise, I fish Lavon exclusively. I keep my boat at Collin Park Marina.

Catfish Tim

Re: Advice for a rookie [Re: Catfish Tim] #13837743 01/08/21 05:30 PM
R
Ron Douthit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
2020 was my first year fishing for white bass and hybrids. I'm not an expert but it's fresh in my mind what I needed to learn to become more successful. I'm fortunate to live on the same lake as Dennis so I used his map and techniques and I'm happy to say I regularly (not always) catch my limit now.

What I would do is look at the map that Dennis provides for CC and identify the patterns that work on CC lake and try to find similar structure on your lake. Once you can identify the right type of structure the next important thing is to learn how to identify fish using electronics.

I started out with downscan and now have upgraded to both down and side scan. Side scan makes it faster to scan an area but I still use my downscan as the final decision maker of when I'll stop and fish. This was one of my biggest learning curves this year. In the beginning what I thought were white bass were actually big schools of shad. Many times what I thought was a school of white bass was a brush pile with crappie. What I thought was a big school of hybrids I'm guessing turned out to likely be carp. Once I learned how to differentiate fish from the noise then the next most important thing was identifying a large school versus a small school. That was the biggest difference maker for me. Once I became much more choosey about when I would stop and fish, I started catching much larger numbers. In the beginning I would stop and fish any spot where I saw a few fish. Most of the time I would catch 2 or 3 immediately and then spend another hour catching the next 2.

Here are some example images that you might find helpful:

This shows my downscan and side scan from a school of white bass where I caught over 40:
[Linked Image]

This image is a huge school of shad but I didn't see many fish working this school but you can see the birds are active:
[Linked Image]

This is a small brush pile with some fish around it, a great place to lose you lures when white bass fishing:
[Linked Image]

Re: Advice for a rookie [Re: Ron Douthit] #13837822 01/08/21 06:03 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Very instructive. Appreciate the knowledge...

Catfish Tim

Re: Advice for a rookie [Re: Catfish Tim] #13838241 01/08/21 10:25 PM
rebait Offline
Angler
Angler
Great pictures. And some times those darn pictures LIE. But you are correct in that you can get better at watching TV and narrowing the odds.
Thanks for taking time to post.

Re: Advice for a rookie [Re: Catfish Tim] #13838555 01/09/21 02:03 AM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
If you have birds on the lake they can and will tell you were the shad balls are which in turn will tell you were the bigger fish are!

A good pair of binoculars will aide in finding the birds.

In lakes with Whites, Stripers, and Hybrids it can and often will be all three of them under the Shad.

Now the Largemouth and Cats will be mixed in from time to time as well. woot

On a couple of the lakes I frequent there aren't tht many Whites so when I find the Shad they are most of the time Largemouth Bass.

Now years ago there were huge populations of Whites, Stripers, and Hybrids in Sam Rayburn but their populations are not what they used to be. crying

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: Advice for a rookie [Re: Ron Douthit] #13838557 01/09/21 02:04 AM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Ron Douthit
2020 was my first year fishing for white bass and hybrids. I'm not an expert but it's fresh in my mind what I needed to learn to become more successful. I'm fortunate to live on the same lake as Dennis so I used his map and techniques and I'm happy to say I regularly (not always) catch my limit now.

What I would do is look at the map that Dennis provides for CC and identify the patterns that work on CC lake and try to find similar structure on your lake. Once you can identify the right type of structure the next important thing is to learn how to identify fish using electronics.

I started out with downscan and now have upgraded to both down and side scan. Side scan makes it faster to scan an area but I still use my downscan as the final decision maker of when I'll stop and fish. This was one of my biggest learning curves this year. In the beginning what I thought were white bass were actually big schools of shad. Many times what I thought was a school of white bass was a brush pile with crappie. What I thought was a big school of hybrids I'm guessing turned out to likely be carp. Once I learned how to differentiate fish from the noise then the next most important thing was identifying a large school versus a small school. That was the biggest difference maker for me. Once I became much more choosey about when I would stop and fish, I started catching much larger numbers. In the beginning I would stop and fish any spot where I saw a few fish. Most of the time I would catch 2 or 3 immediately and then spend another hour catching the next 2.

Here are some example images that you might find helpful:

This shows my downscan and side scan from a school of white bass where I caught over 40:
[Linked Image]

This image is a huge school of shad but I didn't see many fish working this school but you can see the birds are active:
[Linked Image]

This is a small brush pile with some fish around it, a great place to lose you lures when white bass fishing:
[Linked Image]

Nice screen shots man! cheers

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: Advice for a rookie [Re: Catfish Tim] #13839480 01/09/21 07:19 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I've seen a lot of guys post limits of Sand Bass in the warmer months on Lavon. They all say the same thing basically. If you get on them early in the morning, you'll limit out in 30 minutes and then throw 100 back. I talked with a guy who guides on Eagle Mountain Lake and I bought some Ole Ugly Spoons from him. He says it'll be a month or so yet before jigging the spoons with a hair jig above it will produce but I think that will be the time I start targeting the Sandys. Until then I'll keep chasin the blues. Got a 23, a 25 and a 30 this morning! Thank you guys for all the info. It is very much appreciated...

Catfish Tim

Re: Advice for a rookie [Re: Catfish Tim] #13839520 01/09/21 07:57 PM
CHAMPION FISH Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Tim, I donโ€™t fish Lavon a lot but always look around the island anywhere from 25 ft and shallower in the summertime and look at the glass house area. Good luck.

[Linked Image]
" Success is a ladder you can not climb with your hands in your pockets."

www.pro-cure.com
www.falconrods.com
Re: Advice for a rookie [Re: Catfish Tim] #13840615 01/10/21 05:17 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Champion Fish, that is solid advice. I've heard a lot of guys say look at the wind blown point off the island and glass house point. Thanks much...

Catfish Tim

Re: Advice for a rookie [Re: Catfish Tim] #13843317 01/12/21 04:10 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Don't forget in front of the Church Camp in the warmer months if they are not skiing.[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide