S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by NoWeighers
I'm kinda a newbie on this subject..

And I've got a few questions..

What does the slogan mean; "Bigger Better Bass." ?

We know they're bass.. What makes them better? When are they gonna get bigger?

The question of our times..

Fact is that Sharelunker bass are no different than Florida bass.. And keeping track of the fish caught and giving you a ribbon is not going to grow bigger better bass..

Keeping track of the fish caught and passing out ribbons does not change the DNA of the fish. It is not gonna make them grow bigger.. Or better..

When that freak show of a fish is hatched, and it grows up in an environment that is loaded with easy prey, great habitat, and consistent water levels, for say ten to twelve years, it is possible, if it doesn't get eaten on it's way up the food chain, that it could grow to record size..

And when it happens, it happens.. But this is Texas and we have been known to have some issues with water levels, and on many occasions those talking about growing bigger better bass are killing off the vegetation so necessary to growing bigger better bass..

You can't take Post Toasties out of one box, and put em' in a Froot Loop box, and tell me you have changed the DNA of the original cereal..

And you can't do it with fish either..

About five years ago, when I actually gave a [censored] about educating people about the non difference of the fish, I was promised a comparison of two batches of fish. Two ponds, one stocked with SL babies.. And another stocked with pure Florida babies..

And this was gonna prove that SL babies grow faster than Florida Babies..

Yeah..

When that happens I will parade in my parking lot wearing ladies panties and a sandwich sign declaring "Sharelunker Works!"

But for now, the SL program is about as stale as them Post Toasties..

This is all about advertising for local chambers of commerce for their local lake, say lake puts out X # of 8, 10, 13 lb fish more people are going to fish there and spend their money in the area. Fact is most people that actually live around a good lake and catch the bulk of these big fish DO NOT want to advertise and have more people crowd the lake, Alan Henry is a great example. Its not much different with counties that produce big deer and you never hear anything about them because people keep quiet about it.

Last edited by SC-001; 12/23/20 02:57 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Share A Lunker Needs Our Help [Re: KenTx1962] #13816734 12/23/20 03:03 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Agree^^^

I turned in a 13+ in 2007 but after it died I said I never would again unless perfect scenario. Too much stress on a large fish for me personally to keep one long enough to turn in. I released a 14+ several years ago for that reason and to keep the pressure off that particular lake. I know of atleast 3 other 13+ from same lake by close buddies that did the same. I know of 2 other 13+ this year on another public lake not turned in for the reasons above. I think social media and the look at me era has hurt the programs chances of true success

Re: Share A Lunker Needs Our Help [Re: KenTx1962] #13816804 12/23/20 03:43 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
If they shocked up fish they might start breeding fish that are genetically predisposition to not bite artificial lures. We could end up with lakes full of big fish that don't bite.

Seems to me they should find a couple giant females that they can prove in the lab produce offspring that are catchable. Work with those females and their female offspring for multiple years, introducing males for genetic variety.

Something like that or they might need to up the bounty and allow the anglers to keep the lake confidential.

To be clear though, I do support the program. I think it could use some tweaks, but it's a great program.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Share A Lunker Needs Our Help [Re: KenTx1962] #13816861 12/23/20 04:22 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Previously I remember some anonymous entries I believe? I don't see why they wouldn't still accept a genetically superior fish if you wanted it to anonymous.

Re: Share A Lunker Needs Our Help [Re: KenTx1962] #13816897 12/23/20 04:44 PM
5Redman8 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I would hate to increase the pressure on lakes I fish by advertising big fish that are caught.

TPWD have done a good job but Share A Linker could be greatly improved

Re: Share A Lunker Needs Our Help [Re: KenTx1962] #13816898 12/23/20 04:45 PM
L
LakeTylerMan Offline
Angler
Angler
L
I do think the lakes are old and many past prime. And I also agree killing of hydrilla has reduced habitat and made fishing harder. I live on pleasure boat lake outing and ski lake. When I bought my property in 2009 there was hydilla everywhere. With weeks the property owners petitioned to kill it and it is invasive. I guess I have my memories and that is good enough. Big fish may be out there somewhere??

2024 Skeeter FXR-L, Yamy 250 SHO
Re: Share A Lunker Needs Our Help [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13816980 12/23/20 05:47 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
Agree^^^

I turned in a 13+ in 2007 but after it died I said I never would again unless perfect scenario. Too much stress on a large fish for me personally to keep one long enough to turn in. I released a 14+ several years ago for that reason and to keep the pressure off that particular lake. I know of atleast 3 other 13+ from same lake by close buddies that did the same. I know of 2 other 13+ this year on another public lake not turned in for the reasons above. I think social media and the look at me era has hurt the programs chances of true success

I released a 13 too but did enter it in the program as a released fish, I did not like the track record at the time they had with fish dying after the weather had gotten warmer. I too agree about only under perfect scenario like colder weather. So I do like the new program where you can enter fish you release, I wouldn't have entered at all otherwise.

Last edited by SC-001; 12/23/20 05:56 PM.
Re: Share A Lunker Needs Our Help [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13816987 12/23/20 05:58 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
Previously I remember some anonymous entries I believe? I don't see why they wouldn't still accept a genetically superior fish if you wanted it to anonymous.

I assumed those were private water

Re: Share A Lunker Needs Our Help [Re: KenTx1962] #13819307 12/25/20 02:07 PM
B
bassnutt2001 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Dang, one of the guys caught a 10 at Whitney this year during a club tourney. Our Calcutta is an 8 and it was broken at Eagle mountain earlier this year also. They should post a board or something at some of the ramps.

Re: Share A Lunker Needs Our Help [Re: Jpurdue] #13819327 12/25/20 02:18 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
If they shocked up fish they might start breeding fish that are genetically predisposition to not bite artificial lures. We could end up with lakes full of big fish that don't bite.

Seems to me they should find a couple giant females that they can prove in the lab produce offspring that are catchable. Work with those females and their female offspring for multiple years, introducing males for genetic variety.

Something like that or they might need to up the bounty and allow the anglers to keep the lake confidential.

To be clear though, I do support the program. I think it could use some tweaks, but it's a great program.

Larger fish are less prone to shock up, for several reason, one is they are larger stronger and arent as effected by the shock.

Re: Share A Lunker Needs Our Help [Re: KenTx1962] #13819337 12/25/20 02:25 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
shocking occurs in very shallow waters so very few large bass come up if any, mostly baitfish. we shocked a beaver once, that was interesting. breakdance

Re: Share A Lunker Needs Our Help [Re: KenTx1962] #13819359 12/25/20 02:42 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Frankly they need to do a cost analysis and compare the cost benefit of the fish they can produce and the pure Florida bass that they can buy and stock in the lakes.

Does the pure Florida bass do better than the Share a Lunker bass in Texas lakes?
Does anyone know the answer to this?

Compare the survival rate of adult fish and fingerlings. Almost all the fish they stock are fingerlings which should have a much lower chance of becoming large fish.
Then do a cost comparison to see if raising these fish to be adults would be more advantageous. The number of fish they stock is around 60k per year. I am just guessing but the impact of adult bass would be much more than stocking fingerlings so if they have lower numbers they should try growing them longer before stocking them.

Re: Share A Lunker Needs Our Help [Re: Allison1] #13819427 12/25/20 03:50 PM
S
smsimcik Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by Allison1
Frankly they need to do a cost analysis and compare the cost benefit of the fish they can produce and the pure Florida bass that they can buy and stock in the lakes.

Does the pure Florida bass do better than the Share a Lunker bass in Texas lakes?
Does anyone know the answer to this?

Compare the survival rate of adult fish and fingerlings. Almost all the fish they stock are fingerlings which should have a much lower chance of becoming large fish.
Then do a cost comparison to see if raising these fish to be adults would be more advantageous. The number of fish they stock is around 60k per year. I am just guessing but the impact of adult bass would be much more than stocking fingerlings so if they have lower numbers they should try growing them longer before stocking them.

I believe there has been a cost analysis done and you can buy a lot more Florida bass fingerlings then you can produce Share a Lunker fingerlings with the same amount of money.

If you want to increase the survival rate of the lunkers as well as their fingerlings, just catch and release the lunkers after you catch them. One 13lb female bass can produce 60k fry/yr alone if you just put her back after you catch her.

Re: Share A Lunker Needs Our Help [Re: KenTx1962] #13819436 12/25/20 04:01 PM
ssmith Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
share a lunker has been a money pit it has had some great sponsors that dumped tons of money with little or no accountability the one question folks have to ask has more big bass been caught in the last several years it seems there are less or when someone catches them they dont tell anyone thats pretty hard to believe.

Re: Share A Lunker Needs Our Help [Re: ssmith] #13819666 12/25/20 09:25 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by ssmith
share a lunker has been a money pit it has had some great sponsors that dumped tons of money with little or no accountability the one question folks have to ask has more big bass been caught in the last several years it seems there are less or when someone catches them they dont tell anyone thats pretty hard to believe.

[Linked Image]
This was a couple weeks ago at Richland Chambers. 4 fish for 32 pounds. With a 12+ kicker. Two of these fish qualifies for SAL, 3rd place had a 9.93 also. All the fish over 8 pounds that day were simply tossed back into the lake. No one cares about the SAL program that I fish with.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide