Print Thread
Saltwater Rods - American Rodsmith #13733667 10/17/20 01:13 AM
S
Strat-a-Caster Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
These were my uncles rods. I cannot find anything on these rods. They are salt water rods, but I was thinking I can use them for freshwater. Any thoughts on this?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Saltwater Rods - American Rodsmith [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #13734097 10/17/20 02:53 PM
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Absolutely use them in fresh water. I don't have any of them. I use the same rods for freshwater and inshore saltwater fishing.

Re: Saltwater Rods - American Rodsmith [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #13739397 10/22/20 03:55 AM
1Fisher77316 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I use a couple of their rods both ways..fresh and salt. They are good quality rods. I throw mainly artificial and they have great feel.
Tight lines!

Re: Saltwater Rods - American Rodsmith [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #13739799 10/22/20 03:35 PM
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Made in the USA. Company started about 20 yrs down this way. Never hear about them much anymore..at least I haven't. I have a couple of them....7ft ML from way back. Not a bad rod.

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: Saltwater Rods - American Rodsmith [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #13813412 12/20/20 06:35 PM
J
Jack46 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by Strat-a-Caster
These were my uncles rods. I cannot find anything on these rods. They are salt water rods, but I was thinking I can use them for freshwater. Any thoughts on this?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yes… To find out more about this fishing rod, you might consider contacting Robert Scherer @ his Face Book page Robert Scherer | Facebook . He is at the far left of the circular image on the page. Scherer owned and operated American Rodsmiths along with a well-known speckled trout catch and live release fishing tournament series called Gulf Coast Trout Master’s a few years back.

Some interesting historical trivia just for fun and boat ramp talk:

To my knowledge Robert Scherer was the first person in Texas or maybe the country that successfully developed, organized and ran a successful live release salt water fishing tournament targeting speckle trout (Spotted sea trout). Scherer was a dreamer, he had large dreams and made them possible.

That was back a few years when it was considered by most Texas Marine fishery biologist and all coastal speckled trout fishermen that it was impossible to haul spotted sea trout alive all day in boat livewells particularly in summer fishing tournament conditions. Scherer was a new comer to the fishing tournament business, an innovator, a real-life shaker and mover, competitive sportsman and, an excellent business man. With some expert help, He demonstrated to marine fishery biologist and Texas Coastal sport fishermen that he could certainly run a C&R speckled tout tournament successfully when 99% of the Texas marine fishery biologist and all the salt water pro fishing guides salt water tournament, trout fishermen all new for a fact they could never keep 5 – 6 lb. specs alive on their boat all day.
They just knew that speckled trout could not, and would never be kept alive all day in a 20 gallon fishing boat livewells.

Scherer scoffed at that idea because he knew that people were keeping bait fish, golden croakers and shad alive all day or even several days for trout and redfish bait. Many fishermen, fishing guides and catch and kill tournament fishermen and tournament directors still believed the world was flat too. All salt water fishing tournaments were exclusive Catch & Kill tournaments back then like the CCA Redfish tournaments that continue to be catch and kill fishing tournaments is to date. Neither the knowledge nor the motivation was of any interest for C&R Speckled trout fishing tournaments on the Texas Guld Coast until Robert Scherer came along.

Scherer bailed out/bought a small local catch and kill speckled trout tournament called “Trout Masters.” This little tournament was operated and owned by Mickey Eastman, a local Galveston Bay fishing guide that lived along West Trinity Bay. Eastman’s did not believe speckled trout could not be hauled all day in a small 20 gallon bay boat livewell much less weighed then successfully released alive and healthy. Eastman’s operation was over extended, in financial trouble and failing. Scherer bought the failing tournament operation, bailing Eastman out of the mess.

Scherer changed the name of the tournament to Gulf Coast Trout Masters converting the venue into a catch and live release fishing tournament. Within a short time Scherer’s new C&R speckled trout tournament venue became extremely popular along the Texas Gulf Coast and was a thriving money maker.

Maybe Scherer read Ray Scott’s book about how to be financially successful with C&R bass tournaments. Looks to me like he applied Scott’s business principles and marketing techniques to his new Gulf Coast TroutMasters tournament series and his new innovative venue was a stark-raving success. Scherer knew that a C&R speckled trout fishing tournament would catch-on like a wild fire in a 50 knot wind… and it did.

You might contact Scherer on Facebook. He made the rods you have questions about. I believe his rod blanks were actually made in China, imported to Houston, TX USA and sold throughout many States, on the internet, through numerous big box stores and sporting goods stores.

Over the years I have special ordered several American Rodsmiths custom rods. Great rods for the price!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide