Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Minn Kota Ulterra? [Re: Coolarrow] #13803939 12/13/20 01:27 AM
ratherBfishin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
What kind of range does the remote have? With my luck, I'd be a afraid my boat would float out of range after launching. I can see myself standing on the dock helplessly pushing the button on my remote as my boat floats away. bolt

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '92
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Minn Kota Ulterra? [Re: Coolarrow] #13804847 12/13/20 10:45 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
The bluetooth model has good range. The original not as good. I have one and I love it for solo launching and taking the stress off my back deploying all day long. The only downside to it is that I can't attach my 360 to it and the motors aren't strong enough to stow it with a 3rd party 360 mount. I may go to an Ultrex just because I want to be able to mount the 360 but if I do I will sure miss the Ulterra. The electronics seem to be lasting well with it. Everyone said the mount would be to fragile but it has seemed pretty strong for me. I did hit a stump going full speed last year and it messed something up in the timing but it was a pretty severe straight on collision that bent the shaft back under the boat til it sprung back out. If you do a lot of solo fishing or have a bad back it is definitely worth it.

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra? [Re: Coolarrow] #13805319 12/14/20 12:59 PM
J
Jobucko Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I don't know the max range on my Ulterra but I can tell you it has plenty of range for a Solo launch. When I solo launch I deploy the motor when the boat clears the trailer. At this point the motor is no more than 40-50ft away from me. If there are others at the ramp I take the time to move the boat to one side then engage spotlock. If I am alone I simply engage spotlock when the motor fully deploys. I believe I tested it once at the end of my 150ft driveway and it engaged with no problem. JUST REMEMBER TO TURN ON THE TM AND REMOTE BEFORE[b][/b LAUNCH.]

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra? [Re: Jobucko] #13805575 12/14/20 04:03 PM
Greg W Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Jobucko
I don't know the max range on my Ulterra but I can tell you it has plenty of range for a Solo launch. When I solo launch I deploy the motor when the boat clears the trailer. At this point the motor is no more than 40-50ft away from me. If there are others at the ramp I take the time to move the boat to one side then engage spotlock. If I am alone I simply engage spotlock when the motor fully deploys. I believe I tested it once at the end of my 150ft driveway and it engaged with no problem. JUST REMEMBER TO TURN ON THE TM AND REMOTE BEFORE[b][/b LAUNCH.]

My fear would be my motor just started sticking on deploy sometimes. Not often but sometimes. If I give it a little push when I hit the button it goes down. Worked fine for first year and then this happens. What if the 1st time this happens you have just launched and your TM doesn't deploy. Depending on anything mechanical to work 100% of the time seems risky to me unless you don't mind swimming in 55 degree water.

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra? [Re: Coolarrow] #13805612 12/14/20 04:28 PM
J
JD59 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I watched a U Tube video saying it was only good for fishing deep structure that if you fish shallow with it and hit anything very hard that it messes up the calibration and wont stow or deploy correctly! Is this correct? I would get one if not. Please inform me about this. Thanks

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra? [Re: Coolarrow] #13806128 12/14/20 11:32 PM
J
Jobucko Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
JD59
I fish a lot of shallow water and have never had an issue with mine. I don't normally travel at higher speed with it in shallow water and usually trim it up a bit as a precaution but I have collided with my share of stumps and my Ulterra has never failed to work properly. Maybe its just me but abusing a $3000 trolling motor just isn't in my DNA.

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra? [Re: Coolarrow] #13806225 12/15/20 12:39 AM
T-racer @ Mallard Marine Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I run an ulterra on my boat personally, it seems you already see most of the upside. Me as a go fast guy who does a lot more playing than fishing, it's great. Lazy man's trolling motor... press a button, deploy, use remote to amble around wherever I'm hanging out, then stow it and leave. Never even leave the cockpit of my Allison. For fishing though, it is much less durable than the ultrex, the electronic foot pedal takes some getting used to, and the lack of ability to install a transducer unless you use the precision sonar mount which I find hideous, huge, and ugly, it leaves a lot lacking for fishermen. I wouldn't trade mine for anything... but just know what's important to you and what isn't.

Mallard Marine Nacogdoches, Tx
936-225-3244 - Authorized Sales/Service
Mercury Outboards - Allison Boats
Re: Minn Kota Ulterra? [Re: JD59] #13806514 12/15/20 04:21 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted by JD59
I watched a U Tube video saying it was only good for fishing deep structure that if you fish shallow with it and hit anything very hard that it messes up the calibration and wont stow or deploy correctly! Is this correct? I would get one if not. Please inform me about this. Thanks

They aren't fragile. I have hit plenty of stumps on Fork at night with it and it didn't have any issues. I did hit a submerged stump going full speed and messed up the timing. I was sitting at the console and in a hurry to get out of the area and should not have been driving it so fast. If I had been on the deck I probably would have gone for a swim. It hit it harder than I have ever hit a stump before and after seeing all the ultrexes in shops with broken shafts, I can't believe that it didn't break. I haven't even taken it for repairs yet, I just give it a little push when it starts to deploy. I fish shallow and in stumpy water and have no fears of it under normal conditions. I wouldn't let a youtube video scare you off. Most people will tell you how fragile they are and if you question them they'll usually admit that they have never used one. If you like to get into stumps and troll as fast as the thing can go then maybe it isn't for you but if you used common sense then it is plenty durable. Mounting a transducer is a problem of how to run the cable but there are plenty of hacks out there that will show you alternatives so it is doable. I run one on mine.

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra? [Re: Coolarrow] #13806645 12/15/20 12:16 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I've only had mine since August but have to say, its a lot tougher then people on here give it credit for. I've bumped bottom, rocks, stumps, and burried it in brush. Heck I even took off once without stowing it. Made for a heck of a splash across my bow. Coming from an Xi5 the foot pedal is a thousand times better then it's. I will say though that the iPilot Link remote is a bit too big and heavy to wear around your neck or even on your belt. I mounted it on my dash and bought the micro remote.

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra? [Re: Coolarrow] #13806685 12/15/20 12:46 PM
S
skeeter17584 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Have had an Ulterra for 2 years now and its been in repair shop 3 different times! 1st time was for motor stopping in full raised position but would not retract or fully deploy. Repaired under warranty. 2nd time control board on foot pedal went out. again repaired under warranty. 3rd time motor stopped in full raised position and would not retract or deploy any further. Out of warranty and cost $580 to repair. Its not sitting on bench as 2nd spare behind old Fortrex. Im done with Minn Kota! Running a Ghost now!!

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra? [Re: Coolarrow] #13806961 12/15/20 03:30 PM
J
JD59 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Thanks for the replies! How slow reacting is the foot control and or hand held remote? My father had a lower version and the side of your foot would move it left or right. It was so slow reacting that it was hard to steer! Is it a problem in tight areas or have they adjusted and fixed this problem? Thanks

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra? [Re: Coolarrow] #13807052 12/15/20 04:11 PM
J
Jobucko Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
The Ulterra pedal is slower than the Ultrex but not by much. I have no problem maneuvering in and around obstacles nor when I fish marinas. The remote on the link is a bit clumsy but I just upgraded to the LINK Ulterra from the non-link so it is just going to take some getting used to. I did rearrange the icons on the screen which makes the frequently used ones much easier to access.

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra? [Re: Jobucko] #13807072 12/15/20 04:16 PM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Jobucko
The Ulterra pedal is slower than the Ultrex but not by much. I have no problem maneuvering in and around obstacles nor when I fish marinas. The remote on the link is a bit clumsy but I just upgraded to the LINK Ulterra from the non-link so it is just going to take some getting used to. I did rearrange the icons on the screen which makes the frequently used ones much easier to access.

Yeah I expect the remote to respond instantly some times and that is not the case. sarcastic

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide