texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,901
Posts13,955,031
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Finding Fish #13761153 11/08/20 01:05 AM
J
jkowalkowski3 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
What is the most efficient way to look for fish? How fast do you go while graphing a point/hump etc? Do you go shallow to deep, deep to shallow, or just a general grid pattern?

I’m fairly new to electronics and offshore fishing, but I have had a little bit of success lately. Just trying to find any way to maximize my time fishing. Thanks in advance.

Re: Finding Fish [Re: jkowalkowski3] #13761226 11/08/20 01:39 AM
M
markson Offline
Angler
Angler
M
I go to a likely area, put the TM on 10 and do not start fishing a spot until I find something like this (today on Falcon lake):

[Linked Image]

Re: Finding Fish [Re: jkowalkowski3] #13768430 11/13/20 02:18 AM
C
Cactusflyr Offline
Angler
Angler
C
What’s even more maddening is having a screen full of fish, with lock jaw.

Re: Finding Fish [Re: jkowalkowski3] #13768677 11/13/20 12:50 PM
B
beltonbill Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
B
The fish are hungry and will be looking for bait fish. Think about where the bait fish will be. As the water gets colder the bait will move to the warmest water in the area they normally utilize. Look deeper to find the active fish. i usually look for fish running 3 MPH. I like to scan the steep edges of drop offs and humps to locate areas holding bait fish. I move along edges using a serpentine pattern. If you are serious about learning to catch fish, hire a professional and pick his brain. Keep asking questions until you can't think of anything else to ask. Tell him up front that you want a learning trip as much as a fish catching trip. Remember that the pattern of where the fish are now may change as the weather changes. For those that have full screens of fish and can't catch them, I offer a tip from Matt Cartwright (Lakeguide Tawakoni) to energize them. He used a 40 inch wooden dowel with a rubber tip and banged the boat with it. It is called thumping and it really works. Bob Maindell of Holding the Line Guide Service would recommend pulling a spinner type lure thru the school of fish from bottom to top. He is catching 100+ fish each trip. Get to the lake as often as possible. The more you learn, the luckier you get.

Re: Finding Fish [Re: jkowalkowski3] #13768688 11/13/20 12:59 PM
Dennis Christian Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Since I've had side-scan, I use it to see the fish first in most cases. Sometimes I go right over them and they show up on sonar first. To find fish, I go to a likely structure and start criss-crossing it back and forth shallow to deep then making a parallel path deep to shallow. If the fish pattern has been 10 to 18 fow, then I only search those depths, Ditto if the fish pattern has been 20 to 28 fow. If I have not identified a fish depth pattern, I'll search from 10 fow to 28 fow then turn around, move over and go from 28 fow to 10 fow. That's how I cover a structure to find fish. Of course, you need to know what fish look like on your graph - both side-scan and sonar - and down-scan if you have it and it works (mine doesn't). Sonar may look like what you see above, but in cold months it will often look like the pic below - as fish are hugging the bottom. Good luck!

[Linked Image]

Re: Finding Fish [Re: Cactusflyr] #13768974 11/13/20 03:51 PM
M
markson Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Originally Posted by Cactusflyr
What’s even more maddening is having a screen full of fish, with lock jaw.

I have found that if that is happening try moving to the closest structure / cover and catch the active ones there. They might even be surprisingly shallow.

Re: Finding Fish [Re: beltonbill] #13769434 11/13/20 10:11 PM
scubaarchery Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by beltonbill
The fish are hungry and will be looking for bait fish. Think about where the bait fish will be. As the water gets colder the bait will move to the warmest water in the area they normally utilize. Look deeper to find the active fish. i usually look for fish running 3 MPH. I like to scan the steep edges of drop offs and humps to locate areas holding bait fish. I move along edges using a serpentine pattern. If you are serious about learning to catch fish, hire a professional and pick his brain. Keep asking questions until you can't think of anything else to ask. Tell him up front that you want a learning trip as much as a fish catching trip. Remember that the pattern of where the fish are now may change as the weather changes. For those that have full screens of fish and can't catch them, I offer a tip from Matt Cartwright (Lakeguide Tawakoni) to energize them. He used a 40 inch wooden dowel with a rubber tip and banged the boat with it. It is called thumping and it really works. Bob Maindell of Holding the Line Guide Service would recommend pulling a spinner type lure thru the school of fish from bottom to top. He is catching 100+ fish each trip. Get to the lake as often as possible. The more you learn, the luckier you get.

I make and sell thumpers and use them all the time. I did a video showing how I fish. I look for a few fish then use the thumper to try to make them school up. https://youtu.be/kqNhUliAwr0

This gives you the ability to find a few fish and start fishing. I set a timer for 10 min and fish if I am catching fish else move on. You will have cases where you get covered in fish but they don’t bite so just move on. The advantage to a thumper vs. stick is that it keeps thumping when you are reeling in fish. You are more than welcome to have my old stick if you want it!

Catch more hybrids, sand-bass and striper with the Thump’emup Thumper!
www.thumpemupfishing.com
Thumpemupfishingchannel@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi602ZTsxnkaVwT0wq3OgCA
Re: Finding Fish [Re: jkowalkowski3] #13769453 11/13/20 10:30 PM
R
RespectTheFish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Everybody has "their" way of finding fish and kinda neat seeing everybody's approach.... Kinda an art form in some ways. I use split 2D/DI and bounce between SI at times. You want to search in a serpentine slithering pattern covering various depths on a slope. I do not stop unless I see fish on my graph. No guessing.

If you stop and things don't come together in 5-15 minutes it is time to move on and go look elsewhere, even if you move a few hundred feet after you relocate fish.

Be mobile, be INPATIENT, and keep going until it comes together! Best advice I can give anybody.

Clay
Re: Finding Fish [Re: jkowalkowski3] #13770416 11/14/20 07:31 PM
D
DownAndDirtyBlues Online Happy
Pro Angler
Online Happy
Pro Angler
D
Got to say everyone is spot on graph graph and graph some more, stop when you find them and if they have lockjaw find another school or give them a few hours and try again.

Attached Files Resized_Resized_20201108_102748.jpegResized_Resized_20201108_102752.jpeg

171 Sea Nymph CC Striper edition
220 Blue Wave CC Classic 200 HPDI
Re: Finding Fish [Re: DownAndDirtyBlues] #13771218 11/15/20 02:00 PM
gborg Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by DownAndDirtyBlues
Got to say everyone is spot on graph graph and graph some more, stop when you find them and if they have lockjaw find another school or give them a few hours and try again.

Great graph shots sir. Looks like the mother load of sand bass on first screen with some larger fish beneath. Appears the more shallow break lines were holding the fish. Any bait close or was the area a known ambush location. Didn't see any trees whereby fish were relating due to pressure changes.

Re: Finding Fish [Re: scubaarchery] #13771531 11/15/20 06:11 PM
James Weir Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted by scubaarchery
Originally Posted by beltonbill

I make and sell thumpers and use them all the time. I did a video showing how I fish. I look for a few fish then use the thumper to try to make them school up. https://youtu.be/kqNhUliAwr0

This gives you the ability to find a few fish and start fishing. I set a timer for 10 min and fish if I am catching fish else move on. You will have cases where you get covered in fish but they don’t bite so just move on. The advantage to a thumper vs. stick is that it keeps thumping when you are reeling in fish. You are more than welcome to have my old stick if you want it!

How much is your thumper?

Re: Finding Fish [Re: gborg] #13771692 11/15/20 09:50 PM
D
DownAndDirtyBlues Online Happy
Pro Angler
Online Happy
Pro Angler
D
Just a point off of a river channel, the wind was blowing into the point so the fish moved from the river channel to the point. I'm still trying to get my solix 15 dialed in. Having a thumper helped keep them under the boat.

171 Sea Nymph CC Striper edition
220 Blue Wave CC Classic 200 HPDI
Re: Finding Fish [Re: jkowalkowski3] #13775962 11/18/20 10:41 PM
H
Holzer Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by jkowalkowski3
What is the most efficient way to look for fish? How fast do you go while graphing a point/hump etc? Do you go shallow to deep, deep to shallow, or just a general grid pattern?

I’m fairly new to electronics and offshore fishing, but I have had a little bit of success lately. Just trying to find any way to maximize my time fishing. Thanks in advance.

Most efficient way (I) look for fish?
I consider these things to decide on the area I'm going to look (not in any particular order).
- Wind direction
- Water temp
- Amount of light/cloud coverage
- Cover/Structure
- Sometimes birds

How fast do I go while graphing?
Slow and sometimes slower

Direction:
It depends on what direction I hit the point or hump and wind direction. But 90% of the time I try to go from deep to shallow.

But that's just me and how I roll...

Holzer
My pic is gone frown
Re: Finding Fish [Re: James Weir] #13776238 11/19/20 01:40 AM
scubaarchery Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

[/quote]
How much is your thumper?[/quote]

My thumpers are $200 or $225 with remote.

www.thumpemupfishing.com
Re: Finding Fish [Re: jkowalkowski3] #13779293 11/21/20 04:07 AM
scubaarchery Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I did a video on how I look for fish when they are following bait all over...

https://youtu.be/h0EMOLm0ZBM

www.thumpemupfishing.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide