Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
When was your first tournament? #13747596 10/29/20 01:42 AM
ThaDudeAbides Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
My 2021 goal is to fish at least one crappie tournament! I am a novice but know it will be a learning experience. I'm 38 and would like to continue to grow in a sport that is a lifetime sport.

What age were you when you fished your first tournament and what would your advice be? I think I can catch 7 fish in 7 hours (maybe).

**Professional amateur crappie fisherman**

1997 Nitro Savage 896, 200 HP Mercury EFI, Garmin Force, Garmin GPSMAP 1022 w/ Livescope, Garmin Ultra 122sv, Garmin 93
Re: When was your first tournament? [Re: ThaDudeAbides] #13747680 10/29/20 03:38 AM
S
Slewfoot Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
S
I fished bass tourneys growing up in Louisiana since high school. Didn’t start chasing crappie till 2001 and it’s all I’ve done since. First crappie tourney was the first crappie fest at Fork. We started fishing regular tourneys with CAT in 2015 and fished some crappie masters and ACT after that. We will fish 3-5 crappie masters next year and some CAT and ACT. Day one of crappie expo starts tomorrow. Catching fish hasn’t been hard for us but big fish have eluded us for 4 days in miserable conditions. Topped it off with snapping my G Rod in half swinging a fish in the boat today. Pretty much sums up our week here!!

Re: When was your first tournament? [Re: Slewfoot] #13747701 10/29/20 04:58 AM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I fished bass tourneys growing up in Louisiana since high school. Didn’t start chasing crappie till 2001 and it’s all I’ve done since. First crappie tourney was the first crappie fest at Fork. We started fishing regular tourneys with CAT in 2015 and fished some crappie masters and ACT after that. We will fish 3-5 crappie masters next year and some CAT and ACT. Day one of crappie expo starts tomorrow. Catching fish hasn’t been hard for us but big fish have eluded us for 4 days in miserable conditions. Topped it off with snapping my G Rod in half swinging a fish in the boat today. Pretty much sums up our week here!!

Note:

If you are a bass fisherman, never go crappie fishing. I also chased bass growing up and went crappie fishing one day and never looked back "because they keep kicking my butt" My 1st tournament was with CAT Crappie Anglers of Texas in 2015 and learned many things to help me up my game/catch ratio. A lot of helpful fellas in that bunch as well in this forum.
I would welcome you to review CAT and hopefully, we see you at a few events. The 2020 trail has come to a close. Next year's trail is being reviewed and will be released very soon.
http://www.crappieanglersoftexas.com/

Also, Joes Bait & Tackle in Lake Dallas holds crappie tournaments and has a small club (just started) designed for the fella that wants to get the feel for tournament fishing.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: When was your first tournament? [Re: ThaDudeAbides] #13764263 11/10/20 02:14 PM
D
DONLAUNDRY Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Wow I think it was 1988 my first tournament it was a crappiethon single day event. I fished with a good friend named Danny Shumate. We just fished out of my slip that we had baited out at lake Lewisville. We won third place in the tournament . First place went to Wally Marshall and Roger. They fished out of a boat and inner tube. They fascinated me that they could go all over the lake and hunt for Crappie.
From then on I was hooked. Won second place next year and yes , was beat out by Wally again. Beat out by two of the nicest guys you’ll meet out on the water. I learned a lot from both of them. Good people.👍

DONLAUNDRY
Re: When was your first tournament? [Re: ThaDudeAbides] #13764368 11/10/20 03:08 PM
Duck_Jerky Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
2004 was Wes and I's first tournament...Crappie USA on Fort Gibson, OK. Been tournament fishing every year since. Advice would be patience and have a plan going in to the day...and don't forget...you'll always know more about how your day went after it's over wink

Brian Carter
Pro Staff
B'n'M Poles - www.bnmpoles.com - Quality Rods For Over 60 Years
War Eagle Boats - www.wareagleboats.com - Built for hunters who love to fish!

Videos
www.youtube.com/BnMFishingPoles - YouTube Channel
Re: When was your first tournament? [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #13764534 11/10/20 04:40 PM
ThaDudeAbides Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by shut-up-and-fish
Originally Posted by Slewfoot

Note:

If you are a bass fisherman, never go crappie fishing. I also chased bass growing up and went crappie fishing one day and never looked back "because they keep kicking my butt" My 1st tournament was with CAT Crappie Anglers of Texas in 2015 and learned many things to help me up my game/catch ratio. A lot of helpful fellas in that bunch as well in this forum.
I would welcome you to review CAT and hopefully, we see you at a few events. The 2020 trail has come to a close. Next year's trail is being reviewed and will be released very soon.
http://www.crappieanglersoftexas.com/

Also, Joes Bait & Tackle in Lake Dallas holds crappie tournaments and has a small club (just started) designed for the fella that wants to get the feel for tournament fishing.

Just joined CAT. $30 is a bargain. Have marked my calendar for Fork in March 2021 for the tournament (only an hour from my house). Hope to make it happen! I think I'll also try to attend a monthly meeting when those kick off again.

1997 Nitro Savage 896, 200 HP Mercury EFI, Garmin Force, Garmin GPSMAP 1022 w/ Livescope, Garmin Ultra 122sv, Garmin 93
Re: When was your first tournament? [Re: ThaDudeAbides] #13765388 11/11/20 01:05 AM
J
JSouther Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Tha dude I have never fished a crappie tournament either but by far my favorite. Fished a few catfish tournaments for local charities but i wish there were local workingmans tournament for crappie in local lakes without having to be a member of anything or traveling. Why has someone not started DFW crappie tourney’s seems like a no brainer we have the lakes and interest I would think.

Re: When was your first tournament? [Re: ThaDudeAbides] #13765493 11/11/20 02:00 AM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
I don't remember exactly but I think I was in my late teens. I did it for a while but it was just not something I enjoyed so I don't fish them anymore.

Re: When was your first tournament? [Re: ThaDudeAbides] #13765583 11/11/20 03:12 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
First tournament was in 2006 I believe on Lake Livingston. Pre-fished one day and then tournament day and never caught a crappie. Very disgusting for sure. Started with Crappie Anglers of Texas in 2008 and fished a lot of them, some Crappie Masters also. So I was 59 when I started. Been lots of fun and have met so many great people. Learned a ton about crappie fishing and had to unlearn a lot of stuff also.

Go to have fun; introduce yourself to people and let them know your starting out, probably get some good advice. Not to put down any other sport, but you'll find crappie fishermen aren't quite like bass tourney guys. At weigh in time, ask people how they located fish the first time they tried the lake. I was given plenty of good advice when I started.

And you'll have a great time at Crappiefest. Friend of mine went a few yrs ago, his wife and another couple. First time on Fork. Two of them had crappie over 2 lbs and two of them won prizes. None of them had ever caught a crappie over 2 lbs.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: When was your first tournament? [Re: Ken Gaby] #13766161 11/11/20 03:46 PM
ThaDudeAbides Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Ken Gaby
First tournament was in 2006 I believe on Lake Livingston. Pre-fished one day and then tournament day and never caught a crappie. Very disgusting for sure. Started with Crappie Anglers of Texas in 2008 and fished a lot of them, some Crappie Masters also. So I was 59 when I started. Been lots of fun and have met so many great people. Learned a ton about crappie fishing and had to unlearn a lot of stuff also.

Go to have fun; introduce yourself to people and let them know your starting out, probably get some good advice. Not to put down any other sport, but you'll find crappie fishermen aren't quite like bass tourney guys. At weigh in time, ask people how they located fish the first time they tried the lake. I was given plenty of good advice when I started.

And you'll have a great time at Crappiefest. Friend of mine went a few yrs ago, his wife and another couple. First time on Fork. Two of them had crappie over 2 lbs and two of them won prizes. None of them had ever caught a crappie over 2 lbs.

Good stuff Ken!

Re: When was your first tournament? [Re: ThaDudeAbides] #13766260 11/11/20 05:02 PM
C
cellis Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
I also started at a Crappiethon. It was in the early 90s on Lake Livingston.

Re: When was your first tournament? [Re: ThaDudeAbides] #13766454 11/11/20 06:57 PM
T
THarris22 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I lived on Livingston in the 80's and early 90's. I didn't know there were crappie in the lake. All I ever fished for were bass, white bass, and catfish. When I left you could catch a few stripers and hybrids. Just not a lot of crappie in Big Muddy.

Re: When was your first tournament? [Re: ThaDudeAbides] #13766580 11/11/20 08:43 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Hmmm, good comments from some people I have met and enjoy their company.

My first tourney, was with Tbox on Palestine and man, I learned a lot on tourney fishing mentality from him...we placed 4th with five fish...sure wish I hadn’t let that big fish get away!

My second time at a Tourney was a backseat request from UJC, for crappiefest, a few years back. It was enjoyable spending time with UJC, and I learned a lot about music from A bygone era! Only a couple of fun type ETexas potlikker tourneys, which I thoroughly enjoy the night time fireside chats.

The CAT guys are enjoyable to hang around (when they are not fishing) at the campfire, and are willing to share useful information, to guys wanting to learn.

I am more of a fun type fishing guy, I fish to relax, and get away from my daily grind, rather than prove myself, although, I would hope that the guys I fish with (And have fished with) understand I can represent my Seat in the boat on any given day and under any given fishing conditions. As such, I do feed quite a few folks outside my family in any given year. If you are wanting to get good (or competitive) at fishing, I recommend the CAT guys.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide