Page 1 of 2 1 2
Crappie and JIG COLORS #13741993 10/24/20 11:17 AM
S
SK. Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
S
Do they make a difference? It's simply not a question man vs crappie or live scope vs crappie it can be the difference between catchn or not, in my opinion....Feesh On!

https://youtu.be/ksr7VZma428

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: Crappie and JIG COLORS [Re: SK.] #13746019 10/27/20 11:30 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Good points made. Enjoyed the video SK and thanks for sharing. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Crappie and JIG COLORS [Re: SK.] #13746794 10/28/20 03:45 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
in my opinion the UV light penetration thru the water affects how well crappie can see. I think its not so much the exact color, but contrast that the particular color show up in the water .. dark/light.. its been proven that fish see red, better than any other color., Ive seen lakes where they rarely bite red jigs, but drop an orange down and they hammer it,, so does the red just stick out too much and look un natural to them? sometimes there can be a very high UV light index, even on a cloudy day,.., thats why I pay attention to the UV index when I fish.. if we go by the cloudy day dark jig,,, sunny day bright jig theory, it can be right alot of the time . but the uv index is alot more accurate.,. the first time you got sunburned on that cloudy day, you were surprized.,. how can I burn as cloudy as it was? well them UV rays were strong that day..
MOON PHASE and distance from the earth,, SUPERMOONS... they are closer to the earth..
BAROMETRIC PRESSURE
WATER COLOR, EMERALD GREEN is nutrient rich ,, muddy not good..
BAITFISH in the area.. some but not too much,.,.
TEMPERATURE doesnt matter UNTIL winter when the shad go deep. other than that I dont even look..
JMO.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Crappie and JIG COLORS [Re: banker-always fishing] #13747715 10/29/20 07:22 AM
S
SK. Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Good points made. Enjoyed the video SK and thanks for sharing. thumb

Thanks Banker.....

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Re: Crappie and JIG COLORS [Re: leanin post] #13747721 10/29/20 07:38 AM
S
SK. Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted by leanin post
in my opinion the UV light penetration thru the water affects how well crappie can see. I think its not so much the exact color, but contrast that the particular color show up in the water .. dark/light.. its been proven that fish see red, better than any other color., Ive seen lakes where they rarely bite red jigs, but drop an orange down and they hammer it,, so does the red just stick out too much and look un natural to them? sometimes there can be a very high UV light index, even on a cloudy day,.., thats why I pay attention to the UV index when I fish.. if we go by the cloudy day dark jig,,, sunny day bright jig theory, it can be right alot of the time . but the uv index is alot more accurate.,. the first time you got sunburned on that cloudy day, you were surprized.,. how can I burn as cloudy as it was? well them UV rays were strong that day..
MOON PHASE and distance from the earth,, SUPERMOONS... they are closer to the earth..
BAROMETRIC PRESSURE
WATER COLOR, EMERALD GREEN is nutrient rich ,, muddy not good..
BAITFISH in the area.. some but not too much,.,.
TEMPERATURE doesnt matter UNTIL winter when the shad go deep. other than that I dont even look..
JMO.

I often look at my jigs when they enter the water especially my bright jigs such as pink, chart and orange and if they look too give a glow in the water I've found they don't work good at that time......I have also found the clear sky/cloudy sky saying to be nothing but a myth....
I've spent countless hours reading and listening to folks that have tried pining down what make crappie tick and I came to the conclusion years ago the best thing to do to be consistently successful at catching crappie is go when you can, as often as you can, fish different depths until you find the depth they prefer at that time, adjust jig color, size, action and scent to entice them to bite..... On top of all that is if what you're doing isn't working changes need to be made....

Re: Crappie and JIG COLORS [Re: SK.] #13748756 10/29/20 11:47 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K

I often look at my jigs when they enter the water especially my bright jigs such as pink, chart and orange and if they look too give a glow in the water I've found they don't work good at that time......I have also found the clear sky/cloudy sky saying to be nothing but a myth....
I've spent countless hours reading and listening to folks that have tried pining down what make crappie tick and I came to the conclusion years ago the best thing to do to be consistently successful at catching crappie is go when you can, as often as you can, fish different depths until you find the depth they prefer at that time, adjust jig color, size, action and scent to entice them to bite..... On top of all that is if what you're doing isn't working changes need to be made....
[/quote]

This ^^^ Good all around advice for any time of the year. Although, I do quite well at times with plastic jig bodies that glow.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Crappie and JIG COLORS [Re: SK.] #13748984 10/30/20 03:21 AM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
wind from west, fish bite best. wind from east, fish bite least.
cows laying down, turn around.
simple,.....

hooked

Re: Crappie and JIG COLORS [Re: SK.] #13749076 10/30/20 10:57 AM
S
SenkoSam Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
the best thing to do to be consistently successful at catching crappie is go when you can, as often as you can, fish different depths until you find the depth they prefer at that time, adjust jig color, size, action and scent to entice them to bite..... On top of all that is if what you're doing isn't working changes need to be made....

Couldn't have said it better. Knowing a water means getting in tune with where fish are biting on a seasonal basis and weekly/daily basis. At times fish can be caught shallow or deeper on the same day but usually one more than the other.

There are thousands of lures that catch panfish - most of them jigs and body used (soft plastic, hair). Guess what - I've caught fish for decades using unpainted jig heads. Fish focus on lure action, shape and size and more so if lure speed is within range of their activity/provocation level. Lures are different than a live bait that's stationary in that movement imparts action to lures whereas live bait moves subtlety until dead. But this comparison brings up color choices.

Live bait color is what it is and can't be changed yet catches fish once fish are found. It doesn't matter the water color, sky or level of sunlight. Fish sense and then attack minnows, worms and other hooked animals. But with lures,
I think its not so much the exact color, but contrast that the particular color show up in the water .. dark/light..

Couldn't have said it better. Color brightness whether bright or dark define lure shape and action. Even clear plastic lures catch fish of all species. Ever fish a clear plastic Zara Spook for bass?
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Tip: clear is never colorless. Light rays are slowed in clear plastic and cause the back ground to give a lure color and outline its shape. So, if clear plastic lures catch fish, why the emphasis on particular colors vs color brightness/ contrast as it relates to a background? To answer that you must use many colors to find out if there is such a thing as lure color preference. Usually that preference is more angler's than fish.

Last edited by SenkoSam; 10/30/20 10:59 AM.
Re: Crappie and JIG COLORS [Re: SK.] #13749179 10/30/20 01:12 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Everyone is going to have their own idea about it soooo my 2cents is "if you think color matters change as often as you deem necessary to satisfy your own thinking and if you don`t think color matters then why do you have more than one in your jig box hmmm noidea

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Crappie and JIG COLORS [Re: SK.] #13750241 10/31/20 08:51 AM
S
SK. Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
S
Have Confidence In Whatever Put Fish In Your Boat......

Good point FB.....

My bud LBG and I often fish together although in separate boats we talk during our trips, often times he'll be on fish or I'll be on fish and we'll share what we're doing depth, structure, action, weight of the jig, size of the jig and yes color of jig.... If we match what's working we both catch fish......
Consistently catching crappie is my goal......I often wonder how many skunks get to ride in boats that don't make changes?
I know back before I decided to tear through my jig box until I found something the crappie would eat I had several skunks per year....
Not that I'm bragging but this past summer while fishing one of the toughest crappie lakes in my area the only skunk I had my boat never got wet due to me forgetting my trolling motor remote.....
Don't take this as me bragging but just trying to get a point across that making changes is a very important part of my success Consistently Catching Crappie.....

Re: Crappie and JIG COLORS [Re: SK.] #13750248 10/31/20 09:37 AM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
I `ve noticed those same conversations about color choices between the two of you in your videos SK & HEY about the skunk thang,Hey it aint braggin if you backin it up! On a lesser note what lake do you consider the toughest Crappie lake in your area? You can shoot me a pm. coolio

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Crappie and JIG COLORS [Re: SK.] #13750399 10/31/20 01:06 PM
S
SK. Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
S
FB your pm's are full......

Re: Crappie and JIG COLORS [Re: SK.] #13750441 10/31/20 01:32 PM
S
SK. Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
S
Here's a great vid that shows where I struggled to catch a fish until I put on a orange or bright jig that the other two guys were using and were slanging fish in the boat..... Afterwards we found a couple other colors that the fish were preferring to hit as the daylight hours faded......
Yes we had live scope and were putting our jigs in the fish faces...... We also discussed depth and action that brought the bite........
If you enjoy the vids please give it a thumbs up, I'd really appreciate it.....

https://youtu.be/jl1RZKMdp5s

Re: Crappie and JIG COLORS [Re: SK.] #13751608 11/01/20 03:56 AM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by SK.

I took care of it thumb

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Crappie and JIG COLORS [Re: Fishbonz] #13752491 11/01/20 10:56 PM
S
SK. Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted by Fishbonz
Originally Posted by SK.

I took care of it thumb

Still showing full brother.....

If you would email me@ skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide