Forums59
Topics1,038,939
Posts13,955,908
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Top things u have learned abt crappie behavior with live scope #13741531 10/23/20 08:43 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
I would like those who have used or observed livescope in action to plz comment on what things u have learned since u got livescope. some of my questions are
1. do crappie spook alot easier than u thought before you fished with livescope
2 are there alot more fish in more areas than u thought before.
3. when u can put the jig more closely to thier face, does size, color, live, ect seem to matter as much?
what percentage of the crappie you find, tend to be actively feeding?
4. are u finding that there are usually some crappie on the bridges year around?
5. will more than one crappie try to attack the offering at the same time?
6. do crappie ever bite at the sinker instead of the jig?
anything else that u found interesting that u now know to be a way the fish behave that u didnt know before or werent sure about.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Top things u have learned abt crappie behavior with live scope [Re: leanin post] #13741616 10/23/20 10:10 PM
F
flogORfish Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Leanin, interesting post and I hope you get a lot of responses. I haven't had mine long enough to comment at length.
1. I haven't noticed crappie being spooked but I have read/heard/seen video where comments have been made that larger crappie can be spooked.
2. Definitely there are more, and frustratingly since I got my LS in August - they didn't want to bite. Summer and transition crappie were tough for me. But at the same time, others were clicking 25's, So part was me. I could find them, but not always catch.
3. I was using mostly minnows due to challenges ...see #2. In the last couple of weeks I did catch some on jigs and color, and jig size did matter.
4. can't say as I haven't been on bridges, fishing mostly timber and some brush piles
5. LoL - 9-10' crappie, 4 at a time swarming a minnow - definitely yes on this one, or a couple all over it and another swims in for the steal. I've seen that several times and it is very cool. Never felt it on the rod either. You can sometimes see a crappie take your jig and be swimming off with it. 15 ft down and the sideways movement of your jig - you don't feel it. But set the darn hook and sure enough, fish-on.
6. I haven't noticed this one.
additions
7. Maybe because of the time of year I started with LS, the precision of where you had to put the jig seemed to be essential to getting bites. Occassionally I could coax one from out of the brush. I'm looking forward to better times with more aggressive fish.
8. Related to #2, and this may have been part of the reason I was not clicking 25, was you can see a lot of fish are there so I stayed in one place too long. But you can definitely see when you were going to waste your time.
9. You catch less catfish by staying off the bottom smile

popcorn

Re: Top things u have learned abt crappie behavior with live scope [Re: leanin post] #13741686 10/23/20 11:46 PM
David Welcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
1. No
2.Yes
3. No, but you can tell if they are interested real quick
And it seems I'm always leaving fish that aren't feeding
4. I don't fish bridges
5. I've seen em chase the crappie I've hooked up close to the boat
6. No
I see a lot of uninterested fish,
I also notice when the shad are schooling near, the crappie do bite better
I also have always figured once you find that spot in the water column where the fish are at - like as in 15' depth there's always a few spots that they will be up above that, like at 10',I've just always assumed they were holding at the thermocline.

Re: Top things u have learned abt crappie behavior with live scope [Re: leanin post] #13741738 10/24/20 12:40 AM
L
lurenthewind Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Two things LS has shown me is that 1. There are WAAAAY more fish in the lake than I ever imagined and 2. I suck at catching them!

Wayne

Luck will beat skill any time you have enough of it!
Re: Top things u have learned abt crappie behavior with live scope [Re: leanin post] #13741830 10/24/20 02:19 AM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
the spooking part is interesting because I have watched people fishing right next to bridge pilings with the outboard running, going from piling to piling and catching fish , they actually use the motor to keep them in position on a little flat boat. catching fish right next to the piling they are idling in front of .. and theres been times ive driven over a brushpile with the big motor to mark the pile, I see fish on the sonar, then when I come back over them on the trolling motor they are gone,. Ive also heard of instances where when u pull up over a brushpile, the fish swim underneath the boat and you must back up to catch them.. crappie are strange for sure.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Top things u have learned abt crappie behavior with live scope [Re: leanin post] #13741917 10/24/20 04:31 AM
G
G3bassbarge Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
I've been using LS for almost three years and here are my thoughts.I average 4 to 5 days a week fishing, so I have a lot of time behind the screen.

Yes. They are a spooky fish, but certain times of the year. For instance, the post spawn through the early fall, they are not as spooky. But during the winter months I tend to see many more spook from the sound of the TM more that anything.

Many more fish than I thought were there, but at some point that will change in my opinion.

I do not believe color has much to do with it. I think it is much more about the presentation. Bait proximity can have a lot to with getting a bite and not getting a bite. I have seen a crappie come from 15 feet away to smack a jig and I have seen a jig right in front of them and nothing!

Bridges will hold crappie year around, just in different numbers.

Yes, they compete for a bait when you find a fired up school.

I do not jig fish with a sinker, but I have seen many times crappie go after the weight on a drop shot minnow rig.

I will conclude with this. This technology does make them bite. However, in the right hands and the right skill level, it can be the difference in a day fishing versus a day of catching. I have seen many naysayers about the LS and I get it. It is not an end all be all tool. But like I said, in the right hands, I challenge anyone who is against it to come fish a tournament without it and see the results. The tournament guys will welcome your donation! Ha!\

Re: Top things u have learned abt crappie behavior with live scope [Re: leanin post] #13741975 10/24/20 11:01 AM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Not that I've learned anything other than it still takes cutting a arm and a leg off to pay for live soap I mean scope roflmao
But it has confirmed my long time (even before LS) technique of move fast fish slow, there will always be inactive fish so after not getting bit, a couple changes (action, depth and yes also color) it's time to move on.....
I still say there's a bigger feeling of accomplishment catchn using 2D over LS (IMHO) although both ways are extremely fun.....

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: Top things u have learned abt crappie behavior with live scope [Re: leanin post] #13742141 10/24/20 02:18 PM
F
flogORfish Offline
Angler
Angler
F
G3 - this "it can be the difference in a day fishing versus a day of catching." is why I like mine. I can't fish more than 1 or 2 times a week, at best. Since I don't know what the fish are doing, I'm on here checking what others are doing, and have a starting point. Without a doubt I catch much more often than just fishing and I often have family or friends that don't fish much and it makes their fishing more fun too. Even if the fish aren't cooperating, they see them and don't feel like they will never catch one.

and I forgot to add another thing I've learned about Livescope

10. You will start to talk to fish and become a fish whisperer coaxing them into participating

Last edited by flogORfish; 10/24/20 02:20 PM. Reason: added to it
Re: Top things u have learned abt crappie behavior with live scope [Re: leanin post] #13742158 10/24/20 02:36 PM
M
Mo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Originally Posted by leanin post
I would like those who have used or observed livescope in action to plz comment on what things u have learned since u got livescope. some of my questions are
1. do crappie spook alot easier than u thought before you fished with livescope
2 are there alot more fish in more areas than u thought before.
3. when u can put the jig more closely to thier face, does size, color, live, ect seem to matter as much?
what percentage of the crappie you find, tend to be actively feeding?
4. are u finding that there are usually some crappie on the bridges year around?
5. will more than one crappie try to attack the offering at the same time?
6. do crappie ever bite at the sinker instead of the jig?
anything else that u found interesting that u now know to be a way the fish behave that u didnt know before or werent sure about.

1 no
2 yes
3 color doesn’t matter till it does
4 don’t fish bridges
5 not often
6 I fish braid with a bead , swivel and leader, Fish check out the bead very often.

Mo

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: Top things u have learned abt crappie behavior with live scope [Re: leanin post] #13742233 10/24/20 03:51 PM
K
karpbuster Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Great thread ... I would ask does the Live Scope mean more fish caught?

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness."

"All that we call human history--money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery--[is] the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy." � C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis
Re: Top things u have learned abt crappie behavior with live scope [Re: leanin post] #13742254 10/24/20 04:13 PM
R
RAY BOBBER Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
I've noticed that crappie do most of the time feed UP but I've seen fish swim 10 ft.+ down after my bait

Re: Top things u have learned abt crappie behavior with live scope [Re: leanin post] #13742358 10/24/20 05:51 PM
F
flogORfish Offline
Angler
Angler
F
@karpbuster - for me it is unquestionably YES more fish caught. I only focused on Crappie so far though I can see it very useful for white bass and largemouth/smallmouth under certain conditions.

Re: Top things u have learned abt crappie behavior with live scope [Re: leanin post] #13742568 10/24/20 10:49 PM
G
Grainraiser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
The oddest thing I have found is a group of crappie will just suspend in open water 10-15ft away from the timber/brushpile.

Re: Top things u have learned abt crappie behavior with live scope [Re: leanin post] #13742714 10/25/20 01:19 AM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

#1 - That a fish will bite a bait more than two times...

#2 - That the school was always there but just 2' - 5' away from where I was dropping in on them. Now I can see them and use the jog feature on my trolling motor to dial them in for the strike.

All videos were recorded while utilizing our PoleDucer transducer system...Nice steady, stable images.
https://shut-up-and-fish.com/search.php?search_query_adv=poleducer&section=product

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: Top things u have learned abt crappie behavior with live scope [Re: leanin post] #13742720 10/25/20 01:27 AM
F
F4 Gator Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Great videos David -- and so very true! thumb

[Linked Image]

Phormer Phantom Phlyer
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread