texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,007
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,320
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,323
Mark Perry 72,485
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,874
Posts13,954,600
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Being stupid and lazy cost me a HAWG [Re: BillyVanWard] #13740521 10/23/20 12:46 AM
D
dawdallas Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Sounds like something I would do accept I tied on a frog and did not do the knot correctly. Lost the frog and the fish!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Being stupid and lazy cost me a HAWG [Re: BillyVanWard] #13740787 10/23/20 09:38 AM
F
Fisherdad58 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Don't be so hard on yourself. Who wants to be respooling on the boat during a regular day of fishing? Your got the fish to bite, got a good hookset, got control of the fish and it sounds like you played it pretty good. I would call that a good day of fishing, and no money was lost on the deal. There was no photo op but you'll never forget it.

Just call that one self releasing.

"Be as straight as you can be and as crooked as you have to be, for what's right"

Psalm 8
Re: Being stupid and lazy cost me a HAWG [Re: BillyVanWard] #13740841 10/23/20 11:58 AM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by BillyVanWard
Originally Posted by senko9S

Nah. Had karma, according to your likely-incomplete understanding of the concept, been a factor, I'd have lander her and a dozen more. I've given much, much more than I've taken and have never, in my adult life, mistreated anyone.

It's my position that superstitions, be they Eastern or Western, had nothing to do with it and my unfavorable outcome was simply a result of stupidity and laziness.

"The stars aren't aligned
Or the gods are malign
Blame is better to give than receive"

Rush - Freewill, 1980

based on your off topic comments calling the tff rednecks followed by an "innywho?". you dont know my cousin.

Re: Being stupid and lazy cost me a HAWG [Re: BillyVanWard] #13741040 10/23/20 01:57 PM
B
BillyVanWard Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
OK, let's see what we gots here:

What did you hook her on?

Super Fluke, brown/orange, color name escapes me (that bait has been very good to us), weightless on a Gama Skip Gap hook, another product I'm very happy exists.

What marina? Maybe I can try to get your bait back.

Bullfrog, on Pines. That lake and area of the lake has been very good to us, and the nearby Fed campground is great. Johnson Creek, methinks. Awful that the nearby marina with the floating cabins went kaput, we loved that place.

Next time out, completely forgot about needing to retie and didn't check leader. Sure enough, big bass hit, I whacked him with a good hookset, and got the Ping!"

Yeah, I've inflicted that depantsing on my houshold a few times. Never again. Lost not just some nice, fish, but some nice baits, including my old Castaic Sunfish, bought back when $30 baits were very rare and largely considered INSANE. It really bugs me to think of a big bass being tortured with that lure in its throat solely due to my gross negligence. Hopefully she was able to expel it.

Now I check the line after every possible insult to it.

Tell your self it was probably a drum. You will feel better. That's what I do.

Good answer - my kind of people! It felt more like a drum kit, though, including the throne, drum tech, gear trailer, and band manager.

Yeah, that's my go-to safety net in such instances, but in this case, I saw her tail and that telltale stripe. It was a "green trout," and a real big 'un. What really frys me is that the first part of the fight went perfectly and the odds of landing the fish (absent my stupidity and laziness) went way up. I was really looking forward to sticking my head in that monster's mouth like ol' Siegfried and/or Roy used to do with their tiggers and whatnot. Now, THAT's a photo op.

It was a double digit fish, of which I've only caught two, both last century, one from White Rock and the other from an office building pond on Preston Rd, Dallas.

Anyone who quotes Neil's lyrics is all right in my book!

Damn straight. Hold on to that book.

One thing I carry with me is extra reels. If I have a backlash like that and I do from time to time. I just swap out reels and move along. Sorry you lost her. I bet that tag end going out seemed like it lasted 2 full minutes...

Good idea. I've no shortage of extra stuff, and I love fishing the rod it was on, so a doubly good idea. That rod is an old Bill Dance shorty I got from Thugmart perhaps 25 years ago. It has a quite unusual grip that I really like and is an especially accurate caster. Nothing impressive about it other than it seems to have great karma (LMAO!) when it comes to catching fish. Same for an old Quantum 2 bearing spinning reel I got off the boneyard rack for $10. I have "nicer stuff," but those old croakers gots some kind of bass-snatching magic in 'em. Yes, it seems a mere two bearings CAN catch a fish, LOL.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Who wants to be respooling on the boat during a regular day of fishing? Your got the fish to bite, got a good hookset, got control of the fish and it sounds like you played it pretty good. I would call that a good day of fishing, and no money was lost on the deal. There was no photo op but you'll never forget it. Just call that one self releasing.

Thanks. Your positive perspective is quite charming. The good part of that experience was a BLAST, starting with a great cast and a perfect "tap-tap" strike. Hands were trembling afterward. The rush of chemicals instantly released by those little hats atop one's kidneys can be incredible.

The error was in the comfort of my den, days after the backlash, tho. When it occurred, I simply called the rig out of service and put it in the rack and grabbed another one, as we wacko, overequipped bass anglers are generally able to do.

Instead of a full respool, I took a shortcut and paid the price. Prolly saved 4 whole minutes. *SIGH* At least I was the victim of my ineptitude, tho - had it cost my fishing buddy - a lady I'm pretty fond of - a trophy I would have been pretty busted up over it.

based on your off topic comments calling the tff rednecks followed by an "innywho?". you dont know my cousin.

Perhaps you should try that in English next time, Dave. It seems ya fell a bit "Short" in trying to express whatever the hell it was you were trying to write.

For the record, I'm most certainly a redneck myself, albeit an atypical one, and I doubt a lifetime of being a cool guy is gonna go down the ol' karmic toilet 'cuz some fragile souls got butthurt on a fishin' board. Xmas is coming - ask Santa for a book on Eastern philosophy.

My Dad, a funny chap, has long been one to say "innyhoo." I guess it rubbed off. Sorry if it upset you sufficiently to make you fancy the notion that it actually shifts karmic balance. Say hey to your cousin fer me.

"He is the most flawed person I have ever met in my life,"
General John Kelly, United States Marine Corps (Ret.), describing Donald "Dolt45" Trump

Never be upset by the success of another. Never be pleased by the pain of another.

Ezekiel 23:20
Re: Being stupid and lazy cost me a HAWG [Re: BillyVanWard] #13742530 10/24/20 10:13 PM
C
catslayer Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted by senko9S

Nah. Had karma, according to your likely-incomplete understanding of the concept, been a factor, I'd have lander her and a dozen more. I've given much, much more than I've taken and have never, in my adult life, mistreated anyone.

It's my position that superstitions, be they Eastern or Western, had nothing to do with it and my unfavorable outcome was simply a result of stupidity and laziness.

"The stars aren't aligned
Or the gods are malign
Blame is better to give than receive"

Rush - Freewill, 1980

Humble too...

"I'll never mess with bee's or wasp anymore, and I'll never gig another beaver..." Words from a man who learned things the hard way
Re: Being stupid and lazy cost me a HAWG [Re: catslayer] #13742598 10/24/20 11:24 PM
B
BillyVanWard Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Humble too...

Good evening.

More like "frank" and "accurate," actually. No reason for that to threaten you. Regard the very title and you may notice a cryptic, nebulous, thickly veiled reference to my stupidity and laziness. That may have even been the whole point.

Have a good one.

General John Kelly, United States Marine Corps (Ret.), describing Donald "Dolt45" Trump

Never be upset by the success of another. Never be pleased by the pain of another.

Re: Being stupid and lazy cost me a HAWG [Re: BillyVanWard] #13742765 10/25/20 02:23 AM
J
Jimfishes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Humble too...

Good evening.

More like "frank" and "accurate," actually. No reason for that to threaten you. Regard the very title and you may notice a cryptic, nebulous, thickly veiled reference to my stupidity and laziness. That may have even been the whole point.

Have a good one.

I for one, don't believe you are lazy!

Re: Being stupid and lazy cost me a HAWG [Re: Jimfishes] #13743169 10/25/20 04:02 PM
B
BillyVanWard Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by River Man
Humble too...

Good evening.

Have a good one.

I for one, don't believe you are lazy!

You're quite right, I'm not....as a whole, but a moment of inexcusable laziness sure can fling an onion into the ointment.

As mentioned, I'm so glad the consequences nailed me and not my girlfriend or a guest on my boat.

I remember once I kept the same bait tied on the same rod thrown in the back of a Z-28 for about 3 years with no reties on 8 lb. test. Actually, it was the same BPS Tornado spinnerbait pictured in my recent Ray Hub report.

What a silly (and lucky) boy I was.

I'm headed to Orange soon to fish some of the backwaters. Never been there. I may bother you with a PM seeking enlightenment.

Re: Being stupid and lazy cost me a HAWG [Re: BillyVanWard] #13743402 10/25/20 07:12 PM
texasfisherman1 Offline
Angler
Angler
You, sir, are the most pretentious, narcissistic individual I have seen on this forum.

Let's take a look at some quotes of yours from this thread:

"I've given much, much more than I've taken and have never, in my adult life, mistreated anyone."

"I doubt a lifetime of being a cool guy is gonna go down the ol' karmic toilet 'cuz some fragile souls got butthurt on a fishin' board."

I encourage people to read his Covid post in off-topic from today. In which, his self described "essay," blames a man's death on, I kid you not, going to church. Here's a few quotes from that thread:

"Duck, corrupted by the relentless minimization of the pandemic by certain media and leadership sources, didn't take COVID seriously and insisted on going to church despite pleas from his family to hold off for a while longer. He seriously believed Jebus would protect him, or something like that."

"RIP, Duck. Next time, remember to Duck, man."

"Wrong answer. i've been brilliant on paper, in the eyes of learned others, and, most important, in the RESULTS I've consistently produced since childhood. Sorry, but some low-rent diaper sniffer ain't gonna be able to change that."

To your defense, the most intelligent, virtuous and respectable people I know expound their greatness on a fishing forum.

Last edited by texasfisherman1; 10/25/20 07:12 PM.
Re: Being stupid and lazy cost me a HAWG [Re: BillyVanWard] #13743908 10/26/20 02:12 AM
N
nb_one Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
...YAWN...Billy boy, go back to Reddit and or Twitter. This about fishing not "your understanding of Eastern Philosophy or quoting "never Trumpers".

Re: Being stupid and lazy cost me a HAWG [Re: BillyVanWard] #13744072 10/26/20 12:11 PM
W
wtdii Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
That sucks

Re: Being stupid and lazy cost me a HAWG [Re: BillyVanWard] #13744092 10/26/20 12:23 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
This is greatness. How did I overlook this?

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Being stupid and lazy cost me a HAWG [Re: BillyVanWard] #13744288 10/26/20 03:59 PM
J
Jimfishes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I'm going fishing....

Re: Being stupid and lazy cost me a HAWG [Re: BillyVanWard] #13744996 10/27/20 02:49 AM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
I try very hard not to be stupid or lazy, but failures occur. This is one of them.

I had a nasty backlash on my beloved Carbonlite reel. Couldn't get it out, so I was forced to snip some of the loops. Got the backlash out plus some more line for good measure. I was in a hurry and didn't want to fool with a respool, so I examined the line and found it good to go.

Hooked a huge bass at the end of a marina dock earlier this month. I had the drag too loose, but thumbed down the spool and got her swung around toward open water, where she made a run and peeled off about 20' of line as I howled redneck exclamations. Right when I told my old lady to get the net, the rod suddenly went straight and I saw the tag end of the line whip through the guides. It was a fraction of a second that seemed like eternity.

I dropped the rod and almost dove in the water trying to grab that tag end, to no avail. My other half looked on, momentarily puzzled. "Where'd yer fish go?" It was awful.

Apparently I missed one of the snipped loops and was fishing with about 40' of line before fish freedom beckoned.

I think it was the biggest bass I've hooked in over 5 years, and it was the only bite I got the whole day.

Now I'm sitting here respooling that reel proper-like, about to hit the lake, and found another snip in the line!

All that trouble, anticipation, and preparation to be ready to rock, and this was the result. What a maroon! It's kinda funny now, but I sure wasn't laughing then. Never will that angler failure recur with me. There are plenty other failures for me to engage, I'm quite sure.

Stupid and lazy ! Kinda hard on yourself. Maybe overanxious. Might of been a Trump bass. You know, the kind that is used to stupid and/or lazy people trying to corral him.
roflmao woot

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Being stupid and lazy cost me a HAWG [Re: BillyVanWard] #13744998 10/27/20 02:51 AM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
I may be inclined to agree with your description of yourself , or at least half of it . . . I know nothing of your work ethic.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide