texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
RayWhite, Poorboy9075, Hengrilious, SE Texas Angler, JJSkeeter
114080 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 98,532
Pilothawk 80,524
John175ā˜® 77,862
Bigbob_FTW 68,877
JDavis7873® 67,400
Mark Perry 61,366
Tritonman 59,010
facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums62
Topics1,135,186
Posts15,475,571
Members139,080
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Any old timer weight lifters/ strength #13602850 06/21/20 03:17 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 311
F
franchi Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 311
Any 50 plus year old weight lifters/ strength trainers here? How are your joints holding out? I started strength training after 30 years instead of weight lifting. With the idea heavier weight less reps is easier on joints than lighter weights higher reps.

Last edited by franchi; 06/21/20 03:17 PM.
Re: Any old timer weight lifters/ strength [Re: franchi] #13603161 06/21/20 08:29 PM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 9,643
I
Indianation65 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 9,643
Sour/tart cherry juice helps sooth achy joints.

It does not cure arthritis, but it helps the soreness.

Try a quarter cup a couple of nights, then just 3 good swigs a day.

Addendum: I don't lift weights anymore, but I do lots of floor exercises, and it does get to the joints. Once you hit 40, you feel it, and every decade after, it screams at you, but we do the best we can. IN65

...------

[Linked Image]

Re: Any old timer weight lifters/ strength [Re: Indianation65] #13604686 06/23/20 12:32 AM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,857
H
H2O Seeker Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
H
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,857
Originally Posted by franchi
Any 50 plus year old weight lifters/ strength trainers here? How are your joints holding out? I started strength training after 30 years instead of weight lifting. With the idea heavier weight less reps is easier on joints than lighter weights higher reps.


franchi - sent you a PM.

Originally Posted by Indianation65
Sour/tart cherry juice helps sooth achy joints.

It does not cure arthritis, but it helps the soreness.

Try a quarter cup a couple of nights, then just 3 good swigs a day.

Addendum: I don't lift weights anymore, but I do lots of floor exercises, and it does get to the joints. Once you hit 40, you feel it, and every decade after, it screams at you, but we do the best we can. IN65

...------

[Linked Image]


Post training of any kind the body has a 'window' of about 45-75 minutes where it responds well to a 3:1 ratio of protein:carb for purposes of recovery. Tart cherry juice is another 'add-in' that the research is shoeing to provide beneift to overall recovery.


[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Any old timer weight lifters/ strength [Re: franchi] #13612127 06/29/20 04:19 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,328
F
Fishn_man Offline
TFF Team Angler
Offline
TFF Team Angler
F
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,328
I do strength exercises and target weight that I can do 10-12 reps and not get in trouble. I mainly want to keep my muscle mass as I have witnessed older gentlemen get sick and didn't have good muscle mass to start with. They struggled to sit up, lay down and even push out of a chair. I don't want this to be any more than it has to be.

My problem is, I don't eat bad, but I have a gut and can't seem to get it off. I walk about 5 miles a day throughout the day. I don't do treadmill, but I do have a row machine that I need to put the time in on.

Anyway, I could use any encouragement you guys have. I'll check back here. I'm only 55, but it sure doesn't get any easier.



Re: Any old timer weight lifters/ strength [Re: franchi] #13612251 06/29/20 06:00 PM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 431
B
Burbarry Online Sleepy
Angler
Online Sleepy
Angler
B
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 431
I've got about 20+ years of heavy lifting under my belt. I'm on a 3 day rotation for working out. Day one squat/legs work up to 385 for 1-5 reps, day two deadlifts/back work up to 435lb for 1-5 reps, day 3 chest work up to 305 1-5 reps. My height is 5'7" weight is 170lbs. Turn 40 next year so with that said I've only noticed that my shoulders are in a slight pain and lower back. Both of those pains I'm sure are from going to heavy on deadlift one time and trying to do a lot of reps on flys/shoulder press behind the head. My knees are great and never had any issues with them.

Re: Any old timer weight lifters/ strength [Re: franchi] #13612842 06/30/20 01:18 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 10,685
lakeforkfisherman Online Happy
Elliptical Mechanic
Online Happy
Elliptical Mechanic
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 10,685
Iā€™m 53 and trying to build a decent level of muscle. I drink a protein drink after each workout. Take vitamins. The joints hurt from time to time. But I have polymyalgia rhuematica- an auto immune disease that causes inflammation of the major joints. I push through it and do the best I can. But it can hurt. I normally do 4 sets of 8 reps of everything. By set 4, Iā€™m getting a good burn. Increasing weight on sets 2 and 4.


I approve of this message.
Re: Any old timer weight lifters/ strength [Re: franchi] #13738047 10/21/20 10:30 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 24,095
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
Offline
TFF Guru
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 24,095
Yea, check with RedRanger. His guns look like they're about to go off at any time. He eats bacon-wrapped poppers to keep his energy level up. That, and a lot of Tanqueray.


2018 Skeeter FX20LE w/ Yamaha 250 SHO šŸ˜Ž




Re: Any old timer weight lifters/ strength [Re: Burbarry] #13739864 10/22/20 04:16 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 32,036
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 32,036
Originally Posted by Burbarry
I've got about 20+ years of heavy lifting under my belt. I'm on a 3 day rotation for working out. Day one squat/legs work up to 385 for 1-5 reps, day two deadlifts/back work up to 435lb for 1-5 reps, day 3 chest work up to 305 1-5 reps. My height is 5'7" weight is 170lbs. Turn 40 next year so with that said I've only noticed that my shoulders are in a slight pain and lower back. Both of those pains I'm sure are from going to heavy on deadlift one time and trying to do a lot of reps on flys/shoulder press behind the head. My knees are great and never had any issues with them.



40 is still pretty young
i climbed towers until 41

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3