Forums59
Topics1,041,194
Posts13,995,357
Members144,250
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: A tiny pellet smoker deserving of a Nobel Prize [Re: cocodrie] #13738911 10/21/20 09:12 PM
S
steveiam Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by cocodrie
Tell us more about this day trading and retired since 38?

Or how you inherited enough money you can act like you really do that-

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Re: A tiny pellet smoker deserving of a Nobel Prize [Re: Sawhorse] #13738917 10/21/20 09:14 PM
B
BillyVanWard Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
What if you and Myron had the exact same equip, wood, aprons and stuff... let’s say it all comes down to skill and awesomeness. You getting the “W“?

That's a tough question. My money would be on the guy with more experience, and that sure ain't me......yet. On the other hand, it's not rocket science and I'm an excellent chef (but only about half as good as my old lady, who is an artiste).

I'm not really inclined to view cooking as a competition sport, so there's that. I expect I'd place well in the eating part, though.

"He is the most flawed person I have ever met in my life,"
General John Kelly, United States Marine Corps (Ret.), describing Donald "Dolt45" Trump

Never be upset by the success of another. Never be pleased by the pain of another.

Ezekiel 23:20
Re: A tiny pellet smoker deserving of a Nobel Prize [Re: BillyVanWard] #13738922 10/21/20 09:18 PM
F
Floon Swenson Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by BillyVanWard
I got one of these things a while back and liked it so much I bought 20 of 'em on a larf. Been handing 'em out to friends and, really, anyone who sufficiently impresses me. Gave one to a waiter the other day after talking BBQ with him. Suffice it to say he was surprised.

https://countrysmokers.com/grills/CS150PPG

It works impressively well and after over 100 days of hard use is still going strong. It holds a decent sized pork shoulder or enough ribs to feed 4 normal people. I've gotten into mesquite smoking lamb ribs after trying some at the legendary Jack Stack BBQ in KC (I think that was hickory, tho) and wolfing 'em down either straight up or adding to a green chile or adobo stew. I've never had meat so tender, flavorful, and succulent. I'm plenty fine with pork, but the lamb blows it clean out of the water.

Considering how much money it's saved me now that I almost never patronize others' BBQ, I'm still way ahead of the game even after giving away a bunch of 'em. The $10 big bags of pellets from Thugmart work great with it. Power use is almost nil after initial ignition, which can be done manually if power is an issue.

I love ribeyes, so I'll get that thing smoking real good at low heat, hammer the steaks for a half hour or so, and finish up in a near red-hot cast iron skillet. The result is so good it defies description.

Lock the buckles, grab the handle, and it transports with delightful ease. I drive an overland expedition vehicle that was once my favorite machine on Earth. This little smoker has booted it from the throne at about 1/225th of the cost. All hail the new king!

That's a cool looking little smoker. When you're talking about the power consumption, I'm assuming that you have to have at least some power running to it to spin the auger, right? I'm thinking for tailgates or campsites - that kind of deal. I'd have to plug this into a generator, correct?

Re: A tiny pellet smoker deserving of a Nobel Prize [Re: steveiam] #13738936 10/21/20 09:25 PM
B
BillyVanWard Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by steveiam
Originally Posted by cocodrie
Tell us more about this day trading and retired since 38?

Or how you inherited enough money you can act like you really do that-

I will be inheriting a lot of money soon, but I paved my own way long before.

My family and I were in the rental property biz in Old East Dallas for 30 years. It was extremely lucrative, but horrifying, too. I've been shot. I've shot others. Thank goodness it's over.

At age 8 I was doing the grounds and painting. At 10 I was laying sheetrock and subfloors. At 12 I was doing the books and taxes. And so on......

For 15 years I drove a Massachusetts road salt-ravaged 1st gen 4Runner I bought for $120, then put $600 and a weekend of work into and never had to do anything but fluids and filters again. During that time, I invested every penny I would have spent on a car payment, full coverage, etc. In that 15 years, my idiot half-sister went thru about a quarter million dollars worth of Expedingles or Expedoodles or whatever ya calls 'em.

That put things in a great position.

To finish the grand slam, I invested heavily in two things:
1) The legalization of cannabis in Canada, EARLY, the I got out before the green flag dropped. That was scary, but made a fortune.
2) As Hurricane Harvey bore down on Houston, I invested everything in sheetrock and shingles. Not quite as lucrative, but a sure thing.

Now I simply bet on very predictable patterns as a pattern day trader. Many stocks fluctuate during the day like waves on the lake. Buy $100K worth and make 1% and a thousand bucks flies into your pocket. I rarely own a stock for longer than 30 minutes, and often for just a few seconds. Do that 10 or so times a month and you have a six figure income working 2-3 hours a week.

After an early life of very hard work, that's quite refreshing.

Did I address your concerns acceptably?

General John Kelly, United States Marine Corps (Ret.), describing Donald "Dolt45" Trump

Never be upset by the success of another. Never be pleased by the pain of another.

Re: A tiny pellet smoker deserving of a Nobel Prize [Re: BillyVanWard] #13738945 10/21/20 09:30 PM
Bandit 200 XP Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
popcorn

Re: A tiny pellet smoker deserving of a Nobel Prize [Re: Floon Swenson] #13738948 10/21/20 09:31 PM
B
BillyVanWard Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
That's a cool looking little smoker. When you're talking about the power consumption, I'm assuming that you have to have at least some power running to it to spin the auger, right? I'm thinking for tailgates or campsites - that kind of deal. I'd have to plug this into a generator, correct?

Yaaaaaaay! A reply that's not borne of pathetic interpersonal rancor. Finally an adult shows up smile

You are correct, sir. A bit of juice for the auger and fan. More juice for initial ignition, but that can be achieved manually. AC power is required. I'd expect a motorcycle or tractor battery and a cheesy inverter would do fine. Been meaning to plug it into the ol' Kill-O-Watt to see how much juice it sucks, but ain't gotten around to it yet.

I can't find any other product that matches up with this little monster. The concept apparently upsets some of my fellow anglers, but I find it rather pleasing.

Re: A tiny pellet smoker deserving of a Nobel Prize [Re: steveiam] #13738953 10/21/20 09:34 PM
B
BillyVanWard Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Some are treating you like a Richard because that’s how you have come here and acted, Buttercup-

Hmmm....I've made a bundle of excellent, informative, helpful, entertaining posts. I prefer not to be a knob unless others done up an' done it first. If I've been unfairly unkind to anyone here, I earnestly apologize.

Fair enough?

Tight lines.

Re: A tiny pellet smoker deserving of a Nobel Prize [Re: BillyVanWard] #13738985 10/21/20 09:56 PM
O
outfishdya Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
O
Tell us more about buying up materials prior to natural disasters. It sounds like an honest days work.....

Woke up this morning
Got yourself a gun....
Re: A tiny pellet smoker deserving of a Nobel Prize [Re: BillyVanWard] #13738988 10/21/20 09:57 PM
T
Trickster Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
T
thanks

Re: A tiny pellet smoker deserving of a Nobel Prize [Re: BillyVanWard] #13738996 10/21/20 10:05 PM
J
Jon Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Thanks for the heads up. That grill looks really handy. When you get a chance, can you measure the 194 sq in main cooking grill and see what the dimensions are? Web site doesn't say.
I'm presuming that's not going to hold much of a brisket but maybe a bigger one could be cut in half or something and made to fit. As far as ribs, steaks, burgers, and maybe some little fresh caught brook trout up in Colorado food that thing ought to be handy like pockets.

And, if you have access to an amp meter, can you see what the amps run both at fire up with auger, fan, and igniter
and then same after it's fired up and running for a bit?

I know the Electrical questions is a lot to ask and it's OK if you can't do those - no worries.
Factory says minimum 300 watt and min 110VAC. So easily in the range of an inverter. I bet a deep cycle trolling battery would run that sucker quite a while.

Re: A tiny pellet smoker deserving of a Nobel Prize [Re: BillyVanWard] #13738998 10/21/20 10:05 PM
B
BillyVanWard Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Here, put this in yer pipe an', er, smoke it.

Lamb ribs so good that it would make Myron hisself slap his mama.....AFTER caving her skull in with a fencepost at the tail end of a 50 foot full sprint running start. T'was a turr'ble crime. Turr'ble, I tells ya. Few things are as chilling as an exceptionally-depraved, ultra-gory, lamb rib-fueled act of matricide.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go look up who this Myron is. I assume he's some sort of BBQ person.

Re: A tiny pellet smoker deserving of a Nobel Prize [Re: BillyVanWard] #13739010 10/21/20 10:14 PM
TexDawg Online Content
Top Dawg
Online Content
Top Dawg
Originally Posted by BillyVanWard
Some are treating you like a Richard because that’s how you have come here and acted, Buttercup-

Hmmm....I've made a bundle of excellent, informative, helpful, entertaining posts. I prefer not to be a knob unless others done up an' done it first. If I've been unfairly unkind to anyone here, I earnestly apologize.

Fair enough?

Tight lines.

“Knob”, that’s a Canadian term, I got a Canadian co-worker that call everyone that, in an affectionate way of course

Re: A tiny pellet smoker deserving of a Nobel Prize [Re: outfishdya] #13739018 10/21/20 10:23 PM
B
BillyVanWard Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by outfishdya
Tell us more about buying up materials prior to natural disasters. It sounds like an honest days work.....

When a natural disaster is coming, buy stock in things that are gonna get mussed up. smile The Houston thing was exceptional, tho - huge storm, huge population center. It was a slam dunk.

I certainly felt pretty honest when I was doin' it. The feeling of making what was once 3-5 years hard work salary with a few mouse clicks is downright rapturous, almost as as smoking some nice, fatty lamb ribs smile

The pandemic has also been extremely lucrative. I got together with two guys smarter than I and we carefully figured out what was gonna get used and consumed at much greater rates. Look around and figger out what's different. That's what ya wanted to buy!

My friends did very well. I didn't participate, satisfied with my few hours a week followed by total detachment and zero distraction/exposure. We gots all we needs and then some, and then some more, and then yet much more, so now I'm focusing of fishing, traveling, having fun with my old lady, and trying like hell to ensure my friends retire wealthy so I ain't gotta worry about (or support) 'em.

Mom was a safe investor. Good for her, but I beat 30 years of her efforts in 17 months with risk and setbacks very near ZERO.

Oh, and I've also pulled 7 digits (over about 25 years) writing/editing in my spare time. Like what I'm doing now, LOL. That earns about a grand a month in a safe savings acct. If you're into rock, guitars, guns, fishing, and certain other things, you've read my work. Some of you here write quite well - if you're not making bank on that, CHANGE THAT!

If you're a clod, you're prolly stuck with whatcha got (unless you're an orange clod who had it all handed to ya). Sorry for the buzzkill. If you're not, though, there's a GEYSER of easy dough out there if you just attack it right. If you're a boss, riches await, plain and simple. Working oneself to death until too old to care anymore sucks, and I've known many exceptionally insightful and able people who just didn't GO FOR IT and ended up somewhere far beneath their aptitude.

Now, back to BBQ.

Last edited by BillyVanWard; 10/23/20 09:01 PM. Reason: Changed BEYOND to BENEATH in final sentence

Re: A tiny pellet smoker deserving of a Nobel Prize [Re: Jon] #13739033 10/21/20 10:36 PM
B
BillyVanWard Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by Jon
Thanks for the heads up. That grill looks really handy. When you get a chance, can you measure the 194 sq in main cooking grill and see what the dimensions are? Web site doesn't say.
I'm presuming that's not going to hold much of a brisket but maybe a bigger one could be cut in half or something and made to fit. As far as ribs, steaks, burgers, and maybe some little fresh caught brook trout up in Colorado food that thing ought to be handy like pockets.

And, if you have access to an amp meter, can you see what the amps run both at fire up with auger, fan, and igniter
and then same after it's fired up and running for a bit?

I know the Electrical questions is a lot to ask and it's OK if you can't do those - no worries.
Factory says minimum 300 watt and min 110VAC. So easily in the range of an inverter. I bet a deep cycle trolling battery would run that sucker quite a while.

Man, it's awesome. I don't wail about products much, but this thing is Tsar Bomba splendid and bang-fer-the buck. Some food makin' stuff purchases don't turn out that good - disuse, etc. This thing is paying back - the last many times I've had a fancy restaurant BBQ, the check made my jaw drop. Fine, I know what I'm getting into goin' in, but still - damn! And now my friends are making great stuff and xmas shopping is done early. It literally rejuvenated the life of some friends who had bad pandemic stagnation in a small apartment. Smoking the hell outta all kinds of stuff can be very soothing and engaging.

A DC batt would run the howlin' dog snot outta it. I ran it off the group 27 in my boat for a pork shoulder and it didn't make much of a dent.

I assure you I'll post those dimensions and amp draw. It's taco night today, tho. Hey......naw, it's useless for crispy beef tacos. Or....is it?

Jon, man, were it my company you'd already know all that data, LOL.

Re: A tiny pellet smoker deserving of a Nobel Prize [Re: BillyVanWard] #13739110 10/21/20 11:49 PM
R
ReelBusy Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
BVW, Have you ever had a barbe à queue with debarked wood? Kind of trippy, like a cross of CatBoss and Thurston Howell III. I'm definitely reading your posts in the voice of Thurston Howell III.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide