Print Thread
sales tax on a boat from another state #13732327 10/15/20 08:53 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Online Content OP
the janitor
OP Online Content
the janitor
J
If you buy a boat in another state at a dealership, can you pay the taxes in Texas? And, if you also trade in a boat on the new boat, do you only pay the taxes on the difference when you pay the sales tax in Texas?

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: sales tax on a boat from another state [Re: J.P. Greeson] #13732345 10/15/20 09:12 PM
Billy Blazer 300 HPDI Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
If you buy a boat in another state and pay texas. You will have to pay the difference if the taxes in Texas are higher. Say you paid 6.5 in one state, when you register in texas you will have to pay the delta between 6.5 and you tax rate in my case would be 8.24 as I recall.

If you do not pay any taxes when you buy in aonother state will have to pay in Texas when you register at the tax rate in your area as I recall.

I've bought boats out of state a couple of times. The hard part was always the vin number off the motor. I would take a picture and do the lead pencil over the vin number on the form and they would still give try to give me a hard time. Once they came out to the parking lot and made me take the cowling off the motor and do the pencil thing on the block of the motor while they watched me.

The last time I did it they were much easier. I think it just depends on where you go and how familer the person is you are dealing with.

Thanks, Billy
Re: sales tax on a boat from another state [Re: J.P. Greeson] #13732351 10/15/20 09:17 PM
J
the janitor
OP Online Content
the janitor
J
I answered part of my question. In Florida, you can sign an affidavit saying you will pay the taxes when you register in Texas, then you have to send a copy of the receipt for the paid taxes to Florida.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: sales tax on a boat from another state [Re: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI] #13732353 10/15/20 09:17 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
If you buy a boat in another state and pay texas. You will have to pay the difference if the taxes in Texas are higher. Say you paid 6.5 in one state, when you register in texas you will have to pay the delta between 6.5 and you tax rate in my case would be 8.24 as I recall.

If you do not pay any taxes when you buy in aonother state will have to pay in Texas when you register at the tax rate in your area as I recall.

I've bought boats out of state a couple of times. The hard part was always the vin number off the motor. I would take a picture and do the lead pencil over the vin number on the form and they would still give try to give me a hard time. Once they came out to the parking lot and made me take the cowling off the motor and do the pencil thing on the block of the motor while they watched me.

The last time I did it they were much easier. I think it just depends on where you go and how familer the person is you are dealing with.

take the boat to quitman, late afternoon, phone pic of hin/engine ser # and trailer info if any, took me all of 20 mins. when I got the champion in mo.
since it was cash private sale I paid any tax here in Tx., kiss principle for me.
just be sure to have the dealer document the trade in value and final sales price, have it notarized if possible for cya.

quitman is real easy to deal with if you have the boat with you in case of any problems, I had none.

Re: sales tax on a boat from another state [Re: J.P. Greeson] #13732356 10/15/20 09:18 PM
J
the janitor
OP Online Content
the janitor
J
Our TPWD office in Mt. Pleasant is very friendly and makes things easy, so that helps.

[Linked Image]
Re: sales tax on a boat from another state [Re: J.P. Greeson] #13732357 10/15/20 09:19 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
I answered part of my question. In Florida, you can sign an affidavit saying you will pay the taxes when you register in Texas, then you have to send a copy of the receipt for the paid taxes to Florida.

have the dealer send in your Tx. registration when you buy/trade, they forward all paperwork to tpwd and tag office, it gets sent to you.
pretty sure they can do that, ask em.

Re: sales tax on a boat from another state [Re: J.P. Greeson] #13732365 10/15/20 09:27 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
I would suggest checking to see if your local offices are doing in person transactions before you go. I thought some of the smaller offices are closed. Also I know in the past when you call they are great about telling you what need to complete transaction.
I know the state is behind on issuing boat and motor titles right now as well. Still waiting on mine from 5 weeks ago.

Re: sales tax on a boat from another state [Re: J.P. Greeson] #13732546 10/16/20 12:20 AM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Back in the early 80's I bought a new Skeeter Wrangler from Reeve's Marine in Shreveport. Their big selling pitch was since I lived in Texas I wouldn't have to pay any sales tax. Sounded good to me! About 2 weeks later I got a call from the state comptrollers office to inform me that they would be out the next day to collect the taxes or the boat. They were nice enough about it and said Reeves had been doing that to a lot of Texas boat buyers.

To whom much is given, much is required.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide