Forums59
Topics1,038,781
Posts13,952,714
Members144,176
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Whitney Pressure on Stripers - Is it an Issue? [Re: Osbornfishing] #13717958 10/02/20 02:25 PM
Anejo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I don't think anyone sees a need for more regulation on Whitney for species health. However, there is no doubt that catching big girls in the 20 pound and 20+ pound is virtually non-existent. That wasn't always the case at Whitney. I personally don't keep stripers below 20 inches because I don't think the 18-20 inch guys make a good filet, it has nothing to do with fish management. But, I rarely catch anything over 25 inches in length and because of that, I would change the keep limits to 5 fish with only one over 24 inches.

Last edited by Anejo; 10/02/20 02:25 PM.

International Sportfisherman-Champion 220 Bay- Reserva Tequila Sipper
Re: Whitney Pressure on Stripers - Is it an Issue? [Re: Anejo] #13717972 10/02/20 02:42 PM
44 Diesel Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Anejo
I don't think anyone sees a need for more regulation on Whitney for species health. However, there is no doubt that catching big girls in the 20 pound and 20+ pound is virtually non-existent. That wasn't always the case at Whitney. I personally don't keep stripers below 20 inches because I don't think the 18-20 inch guys make a good filet, it has nothing to do with fish management. But, I rarely catch anything over 25 inches in length and because of that, I would change the keep limits to 5 fish with only one over 24 inches.

You can blame the lack of big fish on the GA. I remember going up river in late January during the algae bloom looking for sand bass and seeing hundreds of large stripers (10 -15lbs + ) floating dead all the way from Hamm cr. to the island above spring creek. It was a sad sight seeing very large stripers bloated and floating near the bank. Some of the largest ones were all near the island.

Re: Whitney Pressure on Stripers - Is it an Issue? [Re: 44 Diesel] #13719427 10/04/20 02:45 AM
D
DavisGuideService Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Was that this year?

Davis Guide Service
www.DavisGuide.com
817-983-8750
James Davis
Lake Whitney- Striper-white bass-Crappie
https://www.facebook.com/Davis-Guide-Service-159521764704170/
Mr.Crappie Pro Team
www.mrcrappie.com
Re: Whitney Pressure on Stripers - Is it an Issue? [Re: Chris Richardson] #13721007 10/05/20 07:07 PM
C
CenTexan Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted by Chris Richardson
I just don't understand why a lot of folks reaction to good fishing is "we need more regulation"!

Historical stocking numbers are more than enough to sustain Texas hybrid/striper fisheries. My concern is lack of funding and reduced or eliminated stocking. The effort seems to be underfunded and disorganized as compared to historical data (lake stocking history).

After spending a great part of my life chasing these fish all over state of Texas I can assure you that natural phenomenon have a greater impact on white bass, hybrid, and striper populations than fishing pressure. Assuming the stocking rate is consistent.

Drought- Has a great impact on white bass recruitment. Especially on lakes without a major river it. Even an exceptional lake like Richland Chambers saw extremely reduced numbers in 2014 after years of drought.

Golden Algae- It takes 10 years in my estimation to establish a healthy population of 15# fish

Flooding- Not sure just how many fish get washed downstream, but I know it happens. Lake Livingston and below the Livingston dam has a decent population of hybrids because of the heavy spring rains 2017 and 2018. I think most people assume more washed down stream than what actually do. Reality is that the fishing pattern typically changes for 3 months to a year. Folks think the fish are gone and then they magically re-appear.

Mysterious Kills- The white bass kill on Lake Palestine a couple years ago is a good example.

YEs Sir!! Whitney has gotten better year after year without any regulation changes. Its going to get even better. Patience is the key. That and adapting to fishing conditions that constantly change. I was out for only 4 hours this past Sunday and scanned many areas. Went North and scanned alot. Scanned all over in front of McCown for an hour alone. Towards the end I went just North of the Islands where I caught most of my fish in the Summer and right there in 55' fow was the largest school I scanned all year. Fish were on the bottom all the way up to 5' under the boat. Caught for an hour consistently without moving. Could not even get a bait to fall straight down without being hit immediately by 12" fish. Even the small ones are all over a 4 oz bait. The fish are HUNGRY right now. Those big spoons will shine for awhile. Had to cast as far as possible to deep water and pull the bait slowly to the school to get in the big fish. Similar to what I did in the Summer. The Lake is great. Fish are abundant. Plenty of Good Guides for those without boats. Restricting Guides on a lake is kinda like saying that only those who own a boat are worthy of enjoying the Lake without limits. I dont see that happening. Just go fish and enjoy the great blessing and recreation this Lake provides.

Re: Whitney Pressure on Stripers - Is it an Issue? [Re: CenTexan] #13721574 10/06/20 08:40 AM
F
Fisherdad58 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
+1
Very well said

"Be as straight as you can be and as crooked as you have to be, for what's right"

Psalm 8
Re: Whitney Pressure on Stripers - Is it an Issue? [Re: CenTexan] #13722113 10/06/20 07:11 PM
W
WTBirddog Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
W
CenTexan,
You said you 'went North of the islands'....
Did you mean the BIG island or is there a Group of 'Islands' in front of McCown somewhere?

Re: Whitney Pressure on Stripers - Is it an Issue? [Re: Osbornfishing] #13722145 10/06/20 07:43 PM
T
TGalyon1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
This whole conversation has been had several times about Texoma. To many guides, to large big bag limits etc. So they made the limit it is now. I don't see how its help with the big fish and its been in place over 10 years at least. But its still more liberal than any other lake in Texas.
I do applaud any guide that asks his customer's to release larger fish. But I am not sure how his business would survive. I can see how a slot may help, but only time would tell.

Re: Whitney Pressure on Stripers - Is it an Issue? [Re: Osbornfishing] #13723134 10/07/20 05:15 PM
T
T- Gil Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Good discussion in this thread. IMO, no need to limit the guides, or change regs. I don't fish near as much as I used to, but keep thinking I might get back on the water more often. There are plenty of guys that enjoy catching fish and tossing them back, I think that balances out those that keep every fish they can.

[Linked Image]

TEAM HUMDINGER

1st teach a child to love God, teach him second to love Family, 3rd teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. CC

"Una Stamus"
Re: Whitney Pressure on Stripers - Is it an Issue? [Re: WTBirddog] #13724358 10/08/20 06:18 PM
C
CenTexan Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted by WTBirddog
CenTexan,
You said you 'went North of the islands'....
Did you mean the BIG island or is there a Group of 'Islands' in front of McCown somewhere?

Yes sir. Just North of the Big Island on the opposite side of the channel. The fish were very deep and all the way up to nearly the boat. Fishing is great right now and you can find them in very large schools.

Re: Whitney Pressure on Stripers - Is it an Issue? [Re: Chris Richardson] #13734109 10/17/20 03:08 PM
Robert Cory Vinson Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I agree with you. I have fished lake Whitney since I was a child, and it is returning from the GA bloom perfectly. We are catching bigger fish each year. Those 15+ pound fish didn't get that size overnight before the bloom, and it will take time for them to get that size again. There may be 20+ guides on the lake right now, but those numbers will rise and fall according to those who can make a living doing this. Chris, Davis and myself have been in the business for a long time and have watched the ebb and flow of guides on all lakes. It has become much easier to say "hey I'm a guide" with social media. But more fish are pulled from the lake by recreational fisherman, especially this year with COVID. The number of boats on the lake has increased dramatically. That being said, the TPWD stocks these lakes for a reason, and they monitor the lakes also. They were out on Whitney just a couple of weeks ago. Also a new youth angler state record was caught in 2019. So in my opinion we have a great fishery which is only going to get better as long as there are no blooms.

Guaranteed Guide Service & Rentals, LLC
469-867-4299
www.nofishnocharge.com
Re: Whitney Pressure on Stripers - Is it an Issue? [Re: Anejo] #13741626 10/23/20 10:22 PM
Z
z289sec Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
Originally Posted by Anejo

I'm the same way, with stripers and catfish. Anything over 3-5 lbs in a striper, and 7-8 lbs in a blue, just isn't as good to eat as their smaller kin....imo, of course. So, they get turned back. Plus, the lateral line, and portions of red meat (both of which I cut out), are a lot bigger on the bigger fish.

Re: Whitney Pressure on Stripers - Is it an Issue? [Re: Osbornfishing] #13741914 10/24/20 04:29 AM
F
FishWrangler2 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Ya, I’m sorry, but I just disagree. Fishing pressure and more guides is definitely making a difference out there. 3-4 years ago, i could go out with my friends on A rigs and easily catch half a limit of fish. Now I might catch 1-2 a year. I do slab some and catch a bunch of small fish and whites, but really never regularly keepers.

While I am as libertarian and not wanting the government involved as much as anyone, I would say that on these lakes, especially such as whitney that have a non reproducing resource unlike texoma, need better regulation of guides by the state bc 90% are keeping full limits. Sure, the times are good right now, but as soon as the GA reappears with any kind of sustained drought, Whitney will be right back to where it was 10 years ago.

Not trying to be a downer hear, but I want to make sure we can preserve a great fishing lake for a long time and not be ruined whenever the GA returns because it’s not a question of if but when. Hope the TPWD will learn from previous mistakes.

Re: Whitney Pressure on Stripers - Is it an Issue? [Re: Osbornfishing] #13742667 10/25/20 12:36 AM
DILLIGAF Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
It’s simple really...theirs always been GA outbreaks in the lake, at different points in time. Yet big fish were still abundant. So look at what’s changed about the lake in the last 30 years....the number of Guides.
I spoke with an 75 yr old man the other day at Fun n Sun in Cleburne. He’s fished Whitney only his entire life, and he said and I quote” These damn guides are absolutely taking the joy out of fishing in Whitney.” I myself agree with him. You can spit the GA bs all day long and how it’s killed all the big fish. However the last GA bloom wasn’t the first one ever in the lake... yet 30 years ago their were double digit fish caught consistently. A 15lb fish was a good fish, but 20-40lbs were in there as well...when I was a boy I would sit on a pontoon boat with my grandpa and uncles, they fished and played dominoes under the Katy bridge. Seen some 20+ stripers pulled in on many nights. But that don’t happen any
more. When there’s 15-25 guides who limit twice a day with 3-5 customers, do the math. That’s over 600 fish w/ only 3 people keeping per trip, and the problem with this also is that they’ll keep fish that are 15-3/4” length just so they make their limit and get paid. The real evidence is obvious, if you didn’t fish the lake 30yrs ago then you might not understand or see it, but the difference is there.

Re: Whitney Pressure on Stripers - Is it an Issue? [Re: FlyFX] #13742739 10/25/20 01:45 AM
S
stroker46 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted by FlyFX
I think it's all lack of respect for the resources, and yes the blooms don't help.
I have fished several areas around the country that are cpr only, and hope we don't have to go that far.
Maybe we can find a balance. With more and more new anglers it may be challenging.
I agree with Davis, personally 10# is my limit also no matter which species, anything larger is returned only a few eater size kept if wanted.

Lack of respect for the resource ! I see these post/ photo nice meat haul" makes me want to puke. Its totally out of control, turned into a live video game and the fish have no chance. Its all about the $$$$, screw the resource!

Re: Whitney Pressure on Stripers - Is it an Issue? [Re: stroker46] #13748660 10/29/20 10:22 PM
Treybiz Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by stroker46
Originally Posted by FlyFX
I think it's all lack of respect for the resources, and yes the blooms don't help.
I have fished several areas around the country that are cpr only, and hope we don't have to go that far.
Maybe we can find a balance. With more and more new anglers it may be challenging.
I agree with Davis, personally 10# is my limit also no matter which species, anything larger is returned only a few eater size kept if wanted.

Lack of respect for the resource ! I see these post/ photo nice meat haul" makes me want to puke. Its totally out of control, turned into a live video game and the fish have no chance. Its all about the $$$$, screw the resource!

I watched three quides fill the boat, twice a day for 3 days straight. And then one was kind enough to throw his leftovers where my kids were swimming.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide