Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: VIP Fishing] #13716878 10/01/20 04:12 AM
B
BrahmanTx Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I think in a couple of years the the used rv market will be flooded.

-------------------------
Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: VIP Fishing] #13716926 10/01/20 11:21 AM
T
TLW Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
we did tha "full time" thing for several years.. tha main thing nowdays seems ta me is trying ta stay with "plan ahead" deal which seems ta be a big deal with tha rv explosion!.. google satellite maps was our best friend in pickin'/reservin' spots in nice parks and/or "isolated" spots.. we did both 5th wheel and motor home with vehicle in tow.. both had their place.. gl and enjoy.

Last edited by TLW; 10/01/20 11:24 AM.
Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: Bob Davis] #13716947 10/01/20 11:50 AM
S
Samsonsworld Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Bob Davis
We have been doing the RV thing occasionally the past 4 years. Bought ours in 2016. We have camped at Tyler State Park with the grandkids 2 years ago, and it was good but the reservation thing is a beating and sometimes you get the worst spot. There are a lot of "theme" RV parks across the country and many really nice spacious campgrounds. We like the Bluegrass festivals and jams in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas. MountainView, Arkansas is awesome for example. The whole town revolves around Acoustic instrument pickers and jammers. I went in September a few years back and there was a "Mountain Dulcimer" convention going on. Great people, good time for us there. 3 Weeks ago, we spent a week at Grapeland, Texas. Salmon Lake Park. Big bluegrass festival, but the park is terrific. Really clean facilities, lake with slide and diving board for kids, old saloon like buildings to play in, etc. Last week, we were at the Texarkana RV Music Park. There is also a nice park hidden in Canton that not many know about. It is spacious but has the concrete pad. It has a nice pond. It is Mill Creek Ranch Resort. It is a nice quick getaway.

One thing we always look for in an RV park is "Full Hookup" which means Sewer, Electric and Water. The smaller RVs have much smaller Grey Water and Black Water holding tanks. We found out real quick that the Grey water tank (33 gallon) will fill up with just one of my wifes showers. So if you don't have a full sewer hookup you have to pull it to the dump station to empty every day. Same thing with the blackwater tank (poo and p), but it doesn't fill as fast as the grey water tank.

You would be amazed at some of the monster RV rigs "Olds" pull around and set up. It is inspirational to us and we are in in mid 60s. Couples in their 80's still backing these rigs in, connecting up 5th wheel trailers, pulling cars behind them etc. Amazing stuff to me.

The other thing to consider in RVs is their weight and the "safe" capability of your tow vehicle. The salesman will try to sell you that 40 footer to pull with your Pathfinder but do not be fooled by the snake oil. Run the calculations on weights and pulling and cargo capacities. A friend bought a 2020 Ford Explorer and a 32 Foot RV hitch tow trailer. He has the equalizer hitch and all but said it only feels stable pulling around 62-63 mph. I think he bought more trailer than tow vehicle capabilities. I bought a smaller trailer but a bigger tow vehicle. Ford website has a lot of info on this stuff.

Good luck.

I must really be full of it because my black tank always fills up first.

I think one of the best things you can buy for your RV is a shower head. The hot water lasts longer with full hookups or you use less water in a given amount of time for no hookups. Either way, it's a nice upgrade. This one has nice pressure without turning the water on full blast:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F5MUB66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: VIP Fishing] #13716948 10/01/20 11:52 AM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
"One thing we always look for in an RV park is "Full Hookup" which means Sewer, Electric and Water. The smaller RVs have much smaller Grey Water and Black Water holding tanks. We found out real quick that the Grey water tank (33 gallon) will fill up with just one of my wifes showers. So if you don't have a full sewer hookup you have to pull it to the dump station to empty every day. Same thing with the blackwater tank (poo and p), but it doesn't fill as fast as the grey water tank."

Many of the state parks have dump stations rather than full hookups. A tank caddy is a lifesaver; you empty your tank into it and tow it to the dump station with your truck. Best RV accessory we ever bought.

Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: Samsonsworld] #13716970 10/01/20 12:30 PM
B
Bob Davis Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by Samsonsworld

I think one of the best things you can buy for your RV is a shower head. The hot water lasts longer with full hookups or you use less water in a given amount of time for no hookups. Either way, it's a nice upgrade. This one has nice pressure without turning the water on full blast:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F5MUB66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

grin Great tip, we are looking into shower heads at this moment.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: Jim Ford] #13716979 10/01/20 12:39 PM
B
Bob Davis Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by Jim Ford
"One thing we always look for in an RV park is "Full Hookup" which means Sewer, Electric and Water. The smaller RVs have much smaller Grey Water and Black Water holding tanks. We found out real quick that the Grey water tank (33 gallon) will fill up with just one of my wifes showers. So if you don't have a full sewer hookup you have to pull it to the dump station to empty every day. Same thing with the blackwater tank (poo and p), but it doesn't fill as fast as the grey water tank."

Many of the state parks have dump stations rather than full hookups. A tank caddy is a lifesaver; you empty your tank into it and tow it to the dump station with your truck. Best RV accessory we ever bought.

Thanks Jim for the tip on the caddy. This is an option for some, but not for me. I'm not hauling around a blue poo tank. smile Another option at State parks, they usually have fairly nice restrooms with showers and turlets.

Someone mentioned the cost of storage. We could store our RV in the back yard, but it would be a project, modifying the fence with a gate, pouring a pad and drive, etc. but we found a nice, secure, covered storage area within 7 miles of the house. It is $115 per month to store there, so you have to budget for that if you don't have room in your yard or driveway.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: VIP Fishing] #13716981 10/01/20 12:39 PM
wsimpson Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Several years ago, we took our RV on an epic cross-country tour and travelled the country for about eight months and thru over forty states. We stayed in various National Parks, State Parks, RV Resorts, RV Parks, Truck Stops, and a couple of Wal-Marts. Made reservations a couple of days In advance but this strategy might be challenging given the Covid situation. The longest we stayed in any one place was Loveland CO, Cape Coral FL, and Disney World's RV Park. If you need any recommendations, let me know...

Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: Bob Davis] #13717005 10/01/20 01:02 PM
el Rojo Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity

Bob they sell the Oxygenics at Walmart for the same price. It injects oxygen into the waterflow giving it a high pressure feel while using less water.

Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: Bob Davis] #13717008 10/01/20 01:04 PM
S
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S

Thanks Jim for the tip on the caddy. This is an option for some, but not for me. I'm not hauling around a blue poo tank. smile Another option at State parks, they usually have fairly nice restrooms with showers and turlets.

Me neither. I own one that I thought I'd use for the gray water but...it's never been used. If I get in a bind I'd rather run a hose in the bushes at midnight for the gray water and I'm not dumping the black twice. I also wonder how well it would work. I think my portable tank is 28 gallons and my black tank is around 40???? Man I'd hate to have a spill.

Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: VIP Fishing] #13717031 10/01/20 01:34 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
We had a camper from 1987 till 2017. Stayed in many parks and private camp grounds for 30 years. With the price of new trucks and RV`s and the depreciation that they have, we have decided to rent cabins and such when we vacation in our retirement. VRBO has been the place we use for 4 or 5 years now and have no regrets. I will admit though, that waking up in Colorado and sitting outside above 9000 ft. and drinking your morning coffee is pretty sweet.

Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: Samsonsworld] #13717034 10/01/20 01:35 PM
B
Bob Davis Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B

Me neither. I own one that I thought I'd use for the gray water but...it's never been used. If I get in a bind I'd rather run a hose in the bushes at midnight for the gray water and I'm not dumping the black twice. I also wonder how well it would work. I think my portable tank is 28 gallons and my black tank is around 40???? Man I'd hate to have a spill.

Roger that. A lot of private parks dont mind gray water. The black tank empty is not an enjoyable experience.
grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: el Rojo] #13717059 10/01/20 02:05 PM
S
Smurfs Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by el Rojo

Bob they sell the Oxygenics at Walmart for the same price. It injects oxygen into the waterflow giving it a high pressure feel while using less water.

This^

Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: Smurfs] #13717074 10/01/20 02:16 PM
B
Bob Davis Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by Smurfs
Originally Posted by el Rojo

This^

thumb thumb

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: VIP Fishing] #13717101 10/01/20 02:46 PM
Pilothawk Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
We have a couple of federal park in our local area that are , inexpensive, very nice and not too densely packed. Canal in Grand Rivers, and Piney in Dover, TN operated by Dept of Agriculture and Forest Service.

Piney has 384 sites, is located on Kentucky Lake for your carp fishing pleasure.

Also, military campgrounds are a good opportunity for those with access.

KANSAS JAYHAWK BASKETBALL - Where tradition comes from [Linked Image]
2008 NATIONAL BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS-ORANGE BOWL CHAMPIONS 2008
52 Conf Champs /5 Nat'l Champs
Re: RV's and RV Parks [Re: Pilothawk] #13717106 10/01/20 02:53 PM
S
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Pilothawk
We have a couple of federal park

Are those Corps of Engineer? I know they have quite a few parks. I really like Hord's Creek.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide