Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How to catch a state record carp #13697592 09/11/20 03:01 PM
JJ4MEL Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Hey there, I am fairly new to carp fishing and of course I am hooked. I recently hiked and scouted a small 5 +/- acre lake. While there I was able to view multiple common carp that would easily exceed the current state record of 43.75 lbs. The lake is about 30 feet deep +/-. Rocky bottom from what I could tell and clear water. It is a difficult hike to get to an area to fish it. So tackle would have to be a minimum, most likely would have to backpack it in and only take a maximum of 2 rods, but no way to set up rod holders. It is an hour away from home so making multiple trips to "bait" the area will be difficult. The fish I saw were swimming at the top, but also diving down deep out of view. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics.

So my question for you guys with experience, what is the best way to approach this type of fish in these types of conditions? It truly is an amazing location open to the public that is rarely fished and only an hour away.

Re: How to catch a state record carp [Re: JJ4MEL] #13697769 09/11/20 06:26 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
If the water body you are fishing is a not named water body it might be considered a private water body record for example. Neighbor hood ponds, retention ponds, gravel pit ponds, water plant ponds, etc. Judging by the description of the location of the water body it would make it extremely hard to keep the fish alive for the weighing. Weather or not to kill the fish for a record is totally up to you. As for me I am lucky that the fish I target for records can be kept easily alive before weighing and I am able to release about 97 percent of my water body records. I have caught some big bass and other big species of fish that could have been records but have chose to release them due to the fact that I would have to of killed the fish to get it to a scale. Sounds like you have a great spot to catch a record fish. Make sure you have a plan if you want to get the record. #1. Do I have a certified scale location to weigh the fish. #2. Make sure if you decide to kill the fish that it is completely covered in ice as soon as possible. #3. Get it weighed as soon as possible. #4. Make sure you have three pictures of your fish. Picture of the girth, length, and you holding the fish. #4. Make sure your application for the record is completely filled out. If it is a state record you need the application notarized. thumb

Side Note: There are also Catch&Release records you can get. 42 " is the Common Carp State Record.Lady Bird Lake Austin. cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: How to catch a state record carp [Re: JJ4MEL] #13697787 09/11/20 06:42 PM
JJ4MEL Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
I would only go for the C&R record. Not a chance I would kill any of those fish. I catch a few smaller carp that I use for cut bait, but no way a bigger one.

FYI: I am not mentioning the location because some of the surrounding areas are notorious for bow fishing.

Re: How to catch a state record carp [Re: JJ4MEL] #13697804 09/11/20 07:01 PM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
You have my attention cyclop

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: How to catch a state record carp [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13697807 09/11/20 07:03 PM
JJ4MEL Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by TXMulti-Species

Where have you been?? I was hoping you would chime in!!

Re: How to catch a state record carp [Re: JJ4MEL] #13697811 09/11/20 07:06 PM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Lol
If you can I would set up shop there for a couple of days, keeping bait flowing in at regular intervals. I usually dump bait en masse using a kayak at first and last light. The longer you stay and the more bait you put in the better the fishing will become.
If you can't do that then the best option would be to hike in and try to set up in a spot where you see fish. Bait lightly with sweetcorn (one or two dozen kernels at a time) or something simple and fish for one fish at a time. As you get bites/time progresses you can increase or decrease the amount you're baiting as necessary. Additionally, if you're seeing them feeding on topwater nothing beats bread lightly pinched around the hook. Freeline it and cast 5 to 10 foot in front of the fish, if they're in a feeding mood you can have an absolute blast doing this.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
[Linked Image]
Re: How to catch a state record carp [Re: JJ4MEL] #13697814 09/11/20 07:10 PM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by JJ4MEL
Originally Posted by TXMulti-Species

Where have you been?? I was hoping you would chime in!!

I've been fishing! fish
Guess it's been a minute since I've posted here

[Linked Image]
Re: How to catch a state record carp [Re: JJ4MEL] #13698901 09/13/20 02:20 AM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
A 42 inch carp is a looong carp. If you get one that big, I want to see the picture. Range cubes area great bait for fish that size. That would be a lifetime fish. Good luck and keep us updated.

Re: How to catch a state record carp [Re: JJ4MEL] #13701358 09/15/20 02:14 PM
JJ4MEL Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Well, I tried for a few hours yesterday from 5pm-9pm with no luck. Had 3 runs, but nothing hooked up. Chummed the area with oatmeal and cream corn balls and corn for bait. The area is difficult as I had to sit on a concrete embankment that is at a 45 degree angle. Kinda like sitting on a pitched roof and trying to fish. They were out there, will try again soon.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Had to improvise on the rod holder.

[Linked Image]

Re: How to catch a state record carp [Re: JJ4MEL] #13701363 09/15/20 02:19 PM
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Nice pics. Hope you get one of the trophy carp.

Re: How to catch a state record carp [Re: JJ4MEL] #13701957 09/16/20 02:05 AM
T
Tommar Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
That sure is a dandy spot!

US Army and TXARNG 1984-2014
Gulf War 90-91
Iraq 2004-05
A'stan 2009
VFW Post Commander 2013-15
Re: How to catch a state record carp [Re: JJ4MEL] #13701973 09/16/20 02:18 AM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
If you are after really big carp, I would upgrade your bait from corn to range cubes. Throw out a few pounds every time you go and use the cubes as bait. Once you get them eating cubes, you should catch a bunch.

Here is how I rig them. And make sure you have your rod secure. A 20 pound carp will jerk a small rod holder in the lake. roflmao

https://youtu.be/4HJNrljkWGI

Re: How to catch a state record carp [Re: JJ4MEL] #13702045 09/16/20 04:29 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Sucks that the hookups failed. I noticed you said you're a newbie up above. If you want to meet up somewhere in between the two of us for an in-person tutorial here soon I'd be happy to show you the ropes. fish

[Linked Image]
Re: How to catch a state record carp [Re: JJ4MEL] #13703124 09/17/20 01:20 PM
S
SOCALCARPER Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
if there is nothing but gravel or mostly gravel or rocky bottom use bigger hooks size 2-4s. fish that are in that type of terrain have harder lips from eating in that type of area. sweet corn if the spot is not heavly pressured will get you on them fish with as little weight as possible so they wont feel it.if people feed ducks there use bread pack before the water gets cold it will feed them without making them full. if there is crawfish in the area maybe put some food coloring (red) on your corn to help a little.
other then that good luck i hope you catch one please post pics of the fish with as little to no background as people will find the area and those fish will be gone, just that photo that you posted already will be enough for someone to find it itll be a matter of time before its found and the fish will be de

SOCALCARPER
World Carp Masters France 17th Place
ATC 2016 1ST PLACE
ATC 2015 1ST PLACE
ATC 2014 3RD PLACE
PB. Buffalo 44#
PB. Carp 34# and some OZ
PB. KOI. 8#
PB. Grasser 44#
PB. Bass 13.8#
With experience and patience you can accomplish anything. CT
Re: How to catch a state record carp [Re: JJ4MEL] #13732739 10/16/20 09:59 AM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted by JJ4MEL
Hey there, I am fairly new to carp fishing and of course I am hooked. I recently hiked and scouted a small 5 +/- acre lake. While there I was able to view multiple common carp that would easily exceed the current state record of 43.75 lbs. The lake is about 30 feet deep +/-. Rocky bottom from what I could tell and clear water. It is a difficult hike to get to an area to fish it. So tackle would have to be a minimum, most likely would have to backpack it in and only take a maximum of 2 rods, but no way to set up rod holders. It is an hour away from home so making multiple trips to "bait" the area will be difficult. The fish I saw were swimming at the top, but also diving down deep out of view. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics.

So my question for you guys with experience, what is the best way to approach this type of fish in these types of conditions? It truly is an amazing location open to the public that is rarely fished and only an hour away.

As most experienced carp anglers will tell you, the odds of carp approaching 50lbs in a small 5+ acre lake are very small. However... judging by your photos, I'm pretty sure I know where you are fishing at. If it's where I think it is, there is a healthy river system that feeds it and that particular river system is know for good sized fish, so it certainly is possible you have come across a pod of large Carp or Buffalo. The fact that they are in a relatively small lake can be taken advantage of. The best strategy in my opinion would be to not even fish for them for a few weeks or longer. Instead, scout out a bank area that you can safely fish from and land the fish. Then plan a daily or weekly visit to this same exact spot, and feed/chum the area with something that is readily available. Could be as simple as sweet corn. I agree about range cubes. Throw those in the mix as well. After a few weeks (the longer the better), start fishing for them. I can't stress enough how potentially difficult it will be to land a 40+ carp if you are not prepared. Out of respect for the fish I would certainly put anywhere from 30-60lb test on the main line at least. Take your time reeling her in, she may move around slowly for a while (the bigger ones do) but when she gets close enough, prepare for an explosive run that could snap the line of less experienced anglers. Seriously...hire TXMulti-Species to come out with you. I think we all would feel better if you did. wink Good luck!! Looking forward to an update!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide