Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Fishing Lake Calaveras [Re: Rayzor] #13690221 09/03/20 07:13 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I would avoid the bank completely if you have a boat!
There is very limited bank area and most of the regulars spread out with multiple rods even though you are supposed to be limited to two per person.
Even then, the early bird gets the worm!

Just one more cast!

Re: Fishing Lake Calaveras [Re: Jimbo] #13690247 09/03/20 07:33 PM
B
BrandoA Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Jimbo
There is very limited bank area and most of the regulars spread out with multiple rods even though you are supposed to be limited to two per person.

Have they cleaned those lakes up recently? Last time I went there was trash everywhere.

Re: Fishing Lake Calaveras [Re: Jimbo] #13690262 09/03/20 07:48 PM
R
Rayzor Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
R
The shad you catch are going to turn belly up as soon as you catch them unless you have some super duper live well or bait tank.
Talapia stay alive a long time, and I usually just put the shad in a gallon zip lock bag and then on ice.
Drift fishing the live talapia, or fresh cut dead shad, or find a spot and anchor up.
Free lining (no weight) live talapia is also effective either drifing or ancored up.
Don't be surprised if you don't latch onto some big blue cats on the shad and cut talapia, but you have a better chance on reds with the live talapia.
Troll the lures suggested especially around the dam where the reds congregate especially in October, they love the ends and along the riprap.
Like I mentioned, pay attention to the other boats where they congregate.
The guides communicate and let each other know where the fish are. Don't worry about potlicking because as soon as they see you catch a fish they'll swarm all around you even coming from across the lake.
Ever since they closed down fishing at the "crappie wall" those coves around hwy 181 are the hot places.
Don't overlook the "high lines" up the Chupaderas arm of the lake....Take a right after you launch and look for the highlines crossing the lake from the power plant.

So I guess the crappie wall is the concrete (?) wall at the mouth of the discharge? I looked a few Youtube videos from the past and it looks like there were times when fishing from there at times was awesome.

The Youtube videos also showed trucks waiting in line for the gate (?) to open. Is this a common occurrence?

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Fishing Lake Calaveras [Re: Rayzor] #13690273 09/03/20 07:58 PM
M
Matt Houston Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
i have had a lot of luck with deep diving cranks. its a fun way to catch them, they hit hard. Chartreuse spinnerbaits with gold blades will catch the heck out of the rats.

Re: Fishing Lake Calaveras [Re: Jimbo] #13690448 09/03/20 11:03 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head

I have seen anglers with as many as 10 rods out ! nuts

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Fishing Lake Calaveras [Re: BrandoA] #13690734 09/04/20 04:06 AM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by BrandoA

Have they cleaned those lakes up recently? Last time I went there was trash everywhere.

The weeds and grass are so tall and unkept you can't see the trash so maybe that's a good thing!
Also I don't understand how people can stomach cleaning their fish at the fish cleaning tables because the buzzards sit on those tables and poop, and I've seen people cleaning fish and the buzzards, probably 30 or more are on the ground around them and they don't even fly off.
Pretty disgusting and unsanitary!
I stopped cleaning fish there for years now, and it's because they don't empty the barrels often enough, or clean the tables if at all.
It wouldn't bankrupt Thousand Trails to screen in that fish cleaning table even if they only used cattle panels to enclose them.
I fished that lake from the beginning when it actually had some dead trees and grass and I've got plenty of fond memories fishing that lake, but it's saddens me to see it the way it has become over the years.
You pay more and get so much less, and even in it's hey day, very little has been spent to improve the park over the half century plus that the lake has been there.

Just one more cast!

Re: Fishing Lake Calaveras [Re: Jimbo] #13690933 09/04/20 02:12 PM
B
BrandoA Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B

The weeds and grass are so tall and unkept you can't see the trash so maybe that's a good thing!
Also I don't understand how people can stomach cleaning their fish at the fish cleaning tables because the buzzards sit on those tables and poop, and I've seen people cleaning fish and the buzzards, probably 30 or more are on the ground around them and they don't even fly off.
I stopped cleaning fish there for years now, and it's because they don't empty the barrels often enough, or clean the tables if at all.
It wouldn't bankrupt Thousand Trails to screen in that fish cleaning table even if they only used cattle panels to enclose them.
I fished that lake from the beginning when it actually had some dead trees and grass and I've got plenty of fond memories fishing that lake, but it's saddens me to see it the way it has become over the years.
You pay more and get so much less, and even in it's hey day, very little has been spent to improve the park over the half century plus that the lake has been there.

Thats one of the reasons I quit going. Last time I went Brauning I thought I was at a gang rally. And like you said the cleaning stations are nasty and the stinch in the heat is unbearable. Sad because both lakes could really be something special

Re: Fishing Lake Calaveras [Re: BrandoA] #13691304 09/04/20 09:01 PM
H
Holzer Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H

Thats one of the reasons I quit going. Last time I went Brauning I thought I was at a gang rally. And like you said the cleaning stations are nasty and the stinch in the heat is unbearable. Sad because both lakes could really be something special

True. There is some real trash at that lake and it's smaller brother lake next door.
And I'm not talking about the trash you see on the ground.

Holzer
My pic is gone frown
Re: Fishing Lake Calaveras [Re: Rayzor] #13692173 09/05/20 10:54 PM
dafanman Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
If you are a bank fisher you have to really love combat fishing

I had to stop going

Used to go back in the day when there were Corvina in there and you could have a peaceful, quiet day fishing.

It got to where I kept scissors on my tackle belt and would cut off the line of an offender that crossed my line more than twice
when there were plenty of other area's to fish that did not include intruding on my attempt at peace and harmony

I had to stop going grin

On the plus side, I still have pictures from when the Express new's used to post pictures of catches in the paper banana

ComputerWerkz, Windows PC diagnostics and repair
Remote access available.

Robert Abel
210 426-4474

Special Flat rate for TFF&THF Members
Re: Fishing Lake Calaveras [Re: Rayzor] #13692845 09/06/20 09:40 PM
J
jaymzinsa Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I have fond memories of fishing those lakes in the 80s and 90s when they had corvina in them; wow what a fish. Probably caught over a 100 during those years, many well over 20lbs. Would be amazing to restock those again. Back then the banks were kept pretty clean, you could rent a decent johnboat if you wanted, and i never felt I had to worry about any confrontations. Haven't been home in a couple years but it was a disaster zone in 2018, I can only imagine how much worse it has gotten. The fishing was still pretty good but everything else was awful. It's a shame they have deteriorated the way they have.
However, if you still decide to fish those lakes, stop at an asian market before you go and get a bunch of live crawfish. Hook then through the tail and use just enough weight to keep them down, freeline them if possible since they sink on their own. Everything in the lake will eat those things, even the hybrids.

Re: Fishing Lake Calaveras [Re: Rayzor] #13692866 09/06/20 10:06 PM
_
__TX__ Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
_
is it packed on weekdays, or just weekends?

2001 TRACKER V-18 TOURNAMENT
Re: Fishing Lake Calaveras [Re: __TX__] #13693174 09/07/20 04:26 AM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by __TX__

Weekdays if you are going to fish the bank, but get there early as when they open at 6 a.m. and bring about ten rod and reels, spread them out about 30' apart, in order to stake out a large section of bank before anyone gets there before you!
Better yet bring a boat.

Just one more cast!

Re: Fishing Lake Calaveras [Re: Jimbo] #13693584 09/07/20 05:46 PM
dafanman Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
The last few times I over nighted at Calavers were cautionary experiences.

Imagine it is 2-3 AM, you have been out there at one of the reserve able pavilions on primrose point since 6am, got rods out
and doze off only to hear a noise, look up and see a boat all blacked out coming along the bank, hoping out and stealing people's
gear, I spotlighted them and they hauled a.

Another time it is 3-4 AM, and a bunch of drunks get in a fight at the restrooms over by the dam, CPS security did nothing but drive off
in their little trucks and hide..

The atmosphere of that lake changes after 6pm, armed is a good way to go flag

ComputerWerkz, Windows PC diagnostics and repair
Remote access available.

Robert Abel
210 426-4474

Special Flat rate for TFF&THF Members
Re: Fishing Lake Calaveras [Re: Jimbo] #13693643 09/07/20 06:56 PM
_
__TX__ Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
_
Originally Posted by __TX__

Weekdays if you are going to fish the bank, but get there early as when they open at 6 a.m. and bring about ten rod and reels, spread them out about 30' apart, in order to stake out a large section of bank before anyone gets there before you!
Better yet bring a boat.

oh i meant boat traffic wise.

2001 TRACKER V-18 TOURNAMENT
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide