Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Grapevine? [Re: Holzer] #13688379 09/02/20 01:16 AM
P
prosise Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Out on the end its bare as a baby's butt. I have dragged a spoon across most of the point. I did find a small brush pile midway in. I think the point is pretty bare.. We planted a cedar earlier in the year near the mouth of the creek on the west point.. But you never know.. The coin is a 50 cent walking liberty.. Yes, was a good day.. I love silver..

Prosise

Last edited by prosise; 09/02/20 01:17 AM.
Re: Grapevine? [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13689493 09/03/20 02:14 AM
P
prosise Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
From 1pm to 6:30pm north east of the island it was "real good". 630pm: When the boat near me fired up his engine to go work some schooling fish it was over. If you are trolling looking for fish they will spook. Fish are right on the bottom, had a good visit with a fellow TFF'r and we caught em. He left to knock out some bsss fishing, and i continued to work the sandies. I cannot stress enough, don't start your motor. Village idiot was out today for sure.. Rendering movie now, might post something tomorrow.. Have no idea about numbers, was a good day with 2 limits easy fishing solo just counting fish over 13ish inches.. Video too big and long even when sped up 500%. Lake up about 2ft, lower end clarity the same (clear). Did not go up..

Prosise

Last edited by prosise; 09/03/20 10:29 AM.
Re: Grapevine? [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13689962 09/03/20 04:03 PM
P
prosise Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Hope this helps, getting many questions..
The fish I am working are hanging out near the bottom, just off the drop. it looks like they are just holding in the area. I am pulling up to the spots that I am checking, and drifting over the spot to check the graph.. I then will work the trolling motor and stay downwind of them and bang them on the head, and brother and they are pouncing.. I have not see many schools on the graph lately, but I am sitting in the same spot about a cast away from the spot and picking them off. Worked for over 5 hours yesterday. I don't even watch the graph.. If I get on top of them and vertical jig them they move on after a bit, even with using the trolling motor. The casting to them has been working really well lately. For the lake I am fishing, if you find them and you are near them do not start your big motor.. For us this shuts down the spot completely.. ALso, I have been tinkering with a lure to run up front of my jigging spoon. With all the lures me and mason find we have Frankenbuilt a front running lure that is fire and forget. No tinkering. I use a blade from a old rooster tail, drill a hole in the blade, flatten it with a hammer. From here we install split rings both in front and back, a swivel in front, and a small #4 treble hook in the back. I tie 20lb fluorocarbon line on the back split ring and the main 3/4 oz jigging spoon about 16" between the two baits.. When I am on the bottom, the front lure flutters up off the bottom and is the teaser.. We have settled on this the last two weeks, and it working well. The swivel is needed and it does spin some.. Double trouble much of the time. I had a friend try it yesterday and it worked well for him.. Free is the name of the game for this Cheapskate.. I will buy some baits, but I cannot see spending that much money for baits that I can throw together. Works well in front of a rat-l-trap, 1/4 oz plastic jig head, and a 1/4+ oz rooster tail. It does make it run shallower when using small lures. But cheap is the name of the game. On the 3/4 oz jigging spoon you cannot even tell its there.

Some pictures of the front runner.. This thing is very light so the tandem baits do not tumble.. I cut one hook off when running multiples on a line. I tried my 10 lure outfit yesterday but they are not in big schools so I only picked up doubles. Then I gave 5 to a fellow fisherman for him and his son.. When the big schools show up I am going to get a 10 on one line on video. So far I am still stuck at 6 at once..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 09/03/20 04:06 PM.
Re: Grapevine? [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13693002 09/07/20 12:39 AM
P
prosise Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Lake was a Zoo.. Nothing Near the island or on south side. Graph was bare. I would say 5 times the normal boat traffic and very hectic even going up the lake. Anchored on the very end of murrell and caught fish for several hours from 2pm-4pm'ish. 50-50 good fish vs small fish, some were real good. Using same method, casting out and working back to the boat on the drop. Very important: not many caught up on top of the point, fish caught on the drop or down in the 31ft range.. Lake is up and some very small wood floating. Picked up about 8 gallons of broken glass on the banks.. Fish very skittish, all fish caught right on the bottom. Do not start your motor, or drive around looking. Drift into an area watching your graph. Go over the area and either work the fish down wind, or work around and cast into yhem.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 09/07/20 02:15 AM.
Re: Grapevine? [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13693109 09/07/20 02:14 AM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
We will be there first thing in the morning to see what the morning bite will be.

Great work on all accounts!

Re: Grapevine? [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13693696 09/07/20 08:16 PM
J
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
Well, another slow day for me.
We did find them by the island but not many any other place we went.
Did get a couple of nice crappie out off murrel.
My dove hunting wasn't any better.

Re: Grapevine? [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13693900 09/08/20 12:53 AM
P
prosise Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Two things.. I cannot stress enough Don't start your motor, and dont drive around looking for fish.. Pull up near the spot and drift over or go over the spot with your trolling motor. When the boat traffic got heavier in both spots the fishing died down. They are real skittish, don't listen to me just try it.

All but two fish released. Two given to another fisherman.

Flat Amazing day on GP. Have not been fishing morning bite lately, because afternoon bite is always better. Started just north east of the island and it was a ghost town, stopped by Murrel and it was vacant. Decided to head up to the beach and on the way stop at the Rock Grinder. First cast lost my bait, second cast snagged the edge. As it came loose I somehow snagged a monster Buffalo.. Gor her to the boat but got off. Pulled the trolling motor and was drifting north west with the wind talking on the phone and noticed some fish on a hump, dropped my jig while on the phone and caught two small fish. Saved waypoint, came back around and achored.. Caught fish from 9am to 2:30pm. Did have about 45 minutes when it slowed down where I tried another hump on the map. It had about 6 fish then petered out, drifted right back to the original spot and kept catching fish.. Met a Dad and his sons that I called to move up and they caught some fish before they had to go. Then met up with another nice man who spot locked and caught a good mess of fish. Thank you Mr Adams for the jigging spoon. Great fun visiting with people catching fish.. Headed to Murrel at 2:30 when is slowed down and did not get one fish out in the point. Yesterday it was real good. Went over north east of the Island and some real good fish were hanging right off the hump in 31ft of water. The Video link below is a good representation of today. The spot up the lake I never fished before, and for that matter have never fished this area before. Caught 50-50 small to keepers up the lake. Some of the fish up the lake were just bigger than the spoon.. But there was some real good ones in there.. Down by the island there are some really nice fish. If you feel several hits but do not hook up ((((Sharpen your hooks)))).. I sharpened about every 10 minutes for the main jig, as I am dragging and bumping it on the bottom. The front runner jig really kicks butt, I cannot say enough.. If you have a few minutes make one and give it a try, when you are working the jog on the bottom the top lure is dancing just above the surface and really hooks up more.. Today was easily over my best this spring of 209... I don't know how many but It was that good running solo, not even going to guess. I recorded the whole thing but I am not going to go watch 9 hours of fishing to find out... I really enjoyed the company of the two boats and really was pleased to see the young boys get on the fish..

Sorry for the Wind noise, this is a Bodycam like the Police wear. Speaker is very sensitive.. Basically replay this for 6 hours and thats what me and the other boats did today

<<<CLICK>>> Quick Video from today

Waypoint North west of the Rock Crusher Update: I looked back at some topo maps and there appears to be a deep spot near the area we fished yesterday.. will check it out next round.
[Linked Image]
Waypoint was where I was anchored (think I was in 27ft), casting to the north over the hump.. Dragging/Bumping the lure back..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Lure was given to me as a gift from Mr Adams.. Much appreciated..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is a beautiful fish
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 09/08/20 01:15 PM.
Re: Grapevine? [Re: prosise] #13693980 09/08/20 02:35 AM
J
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
Glad you found them.
We left you after you buffalo catch and hit the east side of the island and found a bunch of small ones.
We never made it back out west to you again. Hit the ramp at 11:30 to get out before the crazy's showed up.

Re: Grapevine? [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13694052 09/08/20 04:30 AM
D
Doulos DRA Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
@prosise thanks for making the day a fishing success! I can’t say that I’ve come across too many anglers that would wave you down to let you know the bite was on, where to cast, how to retrieve and then on top of that, share the hot lures! The boys and I had a blast for the little bit of time we got to fish “with” you. From a dad that’s just looking to spend quality time with his boys, you blessed us today, thank you.
[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine? [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13694078 09/08/20 10:02 AM
P
prosise Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Your very welcome. Getting the kids on fish is why I share info.. Lake is real hit or miss on the usual spots. If we don't see the fish hugging the bottom, we will give it @20 minutes casting in all directions. If we don't pick up anything, or the graph still shows nothing, it's time to move on. Will send you some sandbass waypoints later.. Much appreciate the kind words..

Prosise

Last edited by prosise; 09/08/20 01:09 PM.
Re: Grapevine? [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13694373 09/08/20 04:06 PM
B
bronco71 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
cool, I'm going to have to get back out there soon. Last couple trips were mostly dinks.

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Re: Grapevine? [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13694876 09/09/20 01:11 AM
P
prosise Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
If anyone is planning on fishing early tomorrow be carefull. Dangerous debris.. Reported to Game warden..

Tagged it with a life vest.. Dead center of lake between rock ledge and the island about 30 minutes ago.. Drifting very slow.. Nothing to report concerning fishing. Fished in wind from 5:00 ro 7:45. Rough and it sucked.. Wind settled down but it was too late.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 09/09/20 12:12 PM.
Re: Grapevine? [Re: Doulos DRA] #13696029 09/10/20 12:51 AM
J
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
Glad you found some. We there earlier but left for the Island were we did find a few but most were short.

Re: Grapevine? [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #13699878 09/14/20 02:08 AM
P
prosise Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Started at 7:30 and long story short all the spots I checked were blank in the AM.. Saw a tree floating in the middle of the lake, picked it up and stopped for a big rock.. Tree planted out in front of Meadowmere. Pic below for waypoint. Headed up to the beach and did some metal detecting for a couple hours. Headed down from the upper end at noon and stopped at the waypoint that I posted last wed, just north west of the rock crusher. Fish were there for about 2 hours. Every time I found fish they did not stay in that area for long, but I caught some nice fish today. Probably had a limit of 12+ inch fish but probably not much more... Don't think I caught one as big as last week though. About 3 I headed to Murrell point at the very tip, caught a couple fish just off the drop in 30ft, then like before they moved on. Started searching and found some good fish up on top of the point in @ 27ft of water (western edge of the point opposite the drop side). Caught fish there until about 6pm, went over near the island to the spot where I catch some good fish and it was a ghost town.. Finished at Murrell and worked all the end, and then went in about half way to the little dog leg halfway in. At the halfway point I have caught some good crappie, but I get hung up in this spot. Well, I got hung up and pulled out my grappling hook and pulled up a log, two anchors, and handfull of really old jigging spoons. The ball of line filled my gallon trash can on the boat. Take Care all, I have 6th grade remote learning duty in tomorrow..

Fishing was tough today, I had to work and the boat traffic was high. Fish are moving, and were not holding in the area for long today. I didn't work shallow, but would like to hear if anyone is locating anything on any shallow points. BTW: In the AM I was out on Murrell point with about 4 other boats and "Idiot: I have a nice Bassboat" guy just idles up thru everyone and pulls up to a boat and kills his engine and says "Catching anything".. I thought I was being punked, I thought it would be nice to watch where he went and idle up to him and ask him the same question, but I eased out and headed up the lake.

Some of the jigging spoons I found look old, I have not seen some of them before. Only one had a hook, the others had rusted completely away.. The line that they were tied to was holding them to the mass of chaos....

Sorry for the Pic heavy report..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 09/14/20 07:57 PM.
Re: Grapevine? [Re: prosise] #13699892 09/14/20 02:30 AM
D
Doulos DRA Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Thanks for the report! No doubt you'll be able to recycle those slabs and have them out fishing again soon. Unfortunately we had kids activities all weekend and couldn't get out.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide