Print Thread
Deep Water Access for Rivers and Lakes #13681216 08/26/20 05:35 PM
A
Andrew32198 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Hi everyone, so after being skunked multiple times in different places and feeling quite unmotivated to go out and fish (especially during the heat of the summer), I've decided to get back into the game. I'm not entirely sure what I've been doing wrong, I am going for anything that will bite at this point. Typically I target bluegill, catfish, bass, and crappie but recently I've been interested in gar and carp fishing on top of all the others. I've tried lure and bait fishing in the morning, afternoon, and evening (haven't tried going at night yet, unsure if there's anything different about it?), with very little luck. At any given spot, whether that be on a dock or along the shore, I'll cast my line out towards some kind of structure or if it's bait, use a bobber or let it sink to the bottom. I'm not even really getting bites, so I'm wondering if I'm fishing in the wrong places?
After doing some research, I've realized that part of my problems might've been attributed to the heat and not being able to cast into areas where there is deep water, where I would assume there's fish seeking the cooler temperatures. I got the Navionics App and have been looking at lakes/rivers/etc around DFW (I'm in Fort Worth) where I would be able to cast from the bank into deeper areas where fish hopefully might be. I attached some photos of places I've been thinking about going to, as well as places to try again. For the most part, the spots I picked are over steep inclines/deep holes. How should I be fishing right now when all the fish are deeper? At this point, I think I need to learn the basics all over again. I'm 22 and have been trying to reteach myself everything I learned when I was a kid from my dad, while also learning new information like how barometric pressure, moon phases, and temperature can affect the bite.

I know I just gave a lot of information and probably way too many pictures, but honestly I'm completely at a loss as to what I need to improve. I'm definitely motivated to go out this weekend (most likely in the evening) and try some spots out. Can you all help me with this? Any information you could give me would be appreciated so much, even the simple and basic stuff. Thanks y'all, this community is always super kind to newbies like me and I'm very thankful for it.

Attached Files IMG_8695.PNGIMG_8696.PNGIMG_8648.PNGIMG_8687.PNGIMG_8688.PNGIMG_8689.PNGIMG_8690.PNGIMG_8691.PNGIMG_8692.PNGIMG_8693.PNG
Re: Deep Water Access for Rivers and Lakes [Re: Andrew32198] #13681263 08/26/20 06:05 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
To be honest, fishing has been slow/dead for the last 2 months it seems like. Don't sweat it. I fish with kids many times so I try to fish for what is catching. I just bought Gulp Minnows and lite tackle so I can start fishing for gills. Those seem to be everywhere in the ponds and lakes.

I also like to fish for carp with the kids. Grapevine is a good known place to catch carp. I would go to one of the parks, throw out some range cubes or rabbit food as chum, then throw out some corn on a small hook.

Once you catch some blue gills or carp, put some of them on ice. Next go to the location you have pictured last. Go to the end where the cut is, throw out a big ole blue gill head or cut carp. This is a good area for some good sized cats at night.

If you were closer to my area I would offer to meet up some time so we both could get skunked and talk about skunk trips in the past!!

Re: Deep Water Access for Rivers and Lakes [Re: Andrew32198] #13681285 08/26/20 06:18 PM
C
C DUBB Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
C
Welcome Andrew. You have the right attitude and that is one of the most important things, cant catch fish from home. We are in the dog days of summer when fishing is the toughest for any angler,,,especially bank fishing. The best time is early morning and late evening this time of year. All depends on what fish you are targeting. Look to fish in deep water off points and drops offs. If you do not have the gear to cast that far, look to fish in cover or under shade if possible. Fish are still biting, it just takes a little more patience until the water cools down,

Prestige Catfish

I fish because the voice in my head tells me to!
Re: Deep Water Access for Rivers and Lakes [Re: Andrew32198] #13681298 08/26/20 06:29 PM
J
Jonatan Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Summer just sucks for fishing. Way too many pleasure boaters / jet skis out this season. If you keep at it eventually you'll catch a fish but you'll do a lot better come fall time.

Re: Deep Water Access for Rivers and Lakes [Re: Andrew32198] #13681432 08/26/20 07:56 PM
817.TX Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I throw my lines in at pic #2 on the south side of the river off Beach & I30 regularly and have had success. I generally fish all over Ft. Worth on the Trinity River. Spillways and river bends is what I target mostly. Tight lines!! cheers

HEAD HIGH, RIDE LOW!!

CHASING RIVER AND LAKE MONSTERS!!
Re: Deep Water Access for Rivers and Lakes [Re: Andrew32198] #13681496 08/26/20 09:10 PM
A
Andrew32198 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Thank you all so much! I think I might go hit that spillway on Beach Street soon. Should I just cast into the middle of the water above and below the spillway as well as around the bridge? It'd be so cool to hook a gar or carp (never caught one before), how would I go about doing that?

Re: Deep Water Access for Rivers and Lakes [Re: Andrew32198] #13682481 08/27/20 03:52 PM
A
Andrew32198 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
I went to the Beach Street spillway this morning at 6am, I saw TONS of fish there. Bass were swimming around and surfacing, even saw a couple gar. There were tons of baitfish, and all these bubbles coming up everywhere from what I assumed were fish (might've been carp?). I threw everything I had at them (top water, road runners, crank baits, freshly caught live shad on a bait hook with a bobber, cut shad on a bait hook and a bobber, etc.) I think I got only a couple bites down below the spillway, which might've been from a turtle. There was another guy there fishing below the spillway and he was using a bobber setup as well, he caught some kind of bass. There was even a time where I had a live shad on a treble hook, and a gar surfaced right next to it, but didn't even touch it! I am honestly so confused, what in the world am I doing wrong? I'm rethinking everything I know about fishing at this point.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide