Page 1 of 2 1 2
The TPWD/BRA disaster that is Possum Kingdom Lake #13664254 08/11/20 05:16 PM
P
PKfishin Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
P
I have fished possum Kingdom lake almost every week since 2012 when I obtained a lake house there. The current state of that lake as far as fishing is concerned is atrocious. The combination of the flood gates being open for weeks in 2018/2019 and the golden algae bloom uplake has really changed the lake and not for the better. What a shame the BRA did not replace the generators that might have been used to lower the lake before the spring rains and keep the striped bass in the lake. The cold water from that 100+ foot dam might have allowed more of the ones that got out to thrive. After all, when the generators were there the state record 47 LB was taken below that dam. Plus those rainbow trout the TPWD buys and stocks in the tailwater might live a few weeks longer with 45 degree water coming out of those generators. I wonder why some of that federal money they wasted on solindra, the company who got 500 million dollars to make green energy via solar panels that they never made wasn't used to make clean energy from that dam.

Two years ago I was taking people out to the green lights located in the shallows of Gaines Bend and watching them have a blast catching one sand bass after another. I would actually challenge them to try and pull a jig across the lighted area without catching a fish. This year, I have not seen a large school of sandbass all year. They should be thick as fleas downlake but when I fished this week I caught only a couple in the six inch range. I am really puzzled by the lack of sand bass. I'm still catching a few undersize stripers, so unless there is a major fish kill this winter, next year will have a few keepers around. I even had a fishing buddy catch one of these that was 18 1/2 " this past week. There is a ton of bait on the lake. Any fish remaining should grow fast.

With the absence of sandbass I am now catching a nice box of crappie very week. They are easier to catch now that aggressive sandbass are not there to snatch away my bait while the crappie look it over good. This week I caught 9 crappie, a bunch of big bluegills and shellcrakers, half dozen stripers, one which was legal size, a channel cat and a nice flathead. So, we can still catch fish at PK, just not what we were catching in the past.

[Linked Image]

I really think this is an issue that we cannot expect government agencies to care about or fix. We really need an association like the NRA but for fishermen to use members fees to lobby the politicians to do the right thing. Perhaps we could lobby for the state to quit charging $7 a launch at state parks they don't maintain well. Perhaps we could even get free fishing licenses for those over 65 like most other states have. Right now, fishermen are just a revenue source with no voice. Maybe someone on this forum knows how to start such a thing.

For example, every week when I cross the Brazos below PK dam I see dozens of cars with people swimming and fishing in that river. It's a great access point for those who do not have a fishing boat to take to the lake. The local area and businesses could really benefit from TPWD leasing some more access points from land owners down river. Not as many folks want to take an overnight trip on the Brazos as those who would be interested in a 4 hour or day trip. The local area around PK could use more people coming and spending money there. I'm retired and don't have a business there but feel for those who do.

As for TPWD, I think if they are going to spend money on stripers that just get flushed downriver or Rainbow trout that don't live long perhaps they could consider another put and take species for the lake like Walleye. At least they would not race down river everytime the flood gates open which happens quite often lately. I understand that PK used to have a nice Smallmouth Bass population back in the day. I do not think we could expect any change in TPWD policy without an association that could lobby the politicians. Just the way it works.

For those of you who fish this lake, love to hear what you think about PK and my comments. Been a long long time since I've seen any guide reports on the lake or anyone talking about PK.

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Re: The TPWD/BRA disaster that is Possum Kingdom Lake [Re: PKfishin] #13664340 08/11/20 06:34 PM
E
ebl Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
A sad situation for PK ut copme downstream 1 25 miles a nd you can cntiue the sad tale Granbury is no longr the fishing place it once was But you can alson find your choice in PWC.

eddie b lane
Re: The TPWD/BRA disaster that is Possum Kingdom Lake [Re: ebl] #13664623 08/11/20 10:45 PM
fivebites Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by ebl
A sad situation for PK ut copme downstream 1 25 miles a nd you can cntiue the sad tale Granbury is no longr the fishing place it once was But you can alson find your choice in PWC.

Day drinking Rona victim?

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: The TPWD/BRA disaster that is Possum Kingdom Lake [Re: PKfishin] #13664703 08/12/20 12:01 AM
T
TCK73 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
It’s cyclic, and most of it is determined by the weather, which is unpredictable. It will return, to its grandeur someday when the stars align. I wonder if a study was done on the generator deal to see if they would get any return on the investment if they replaced them? I grew up on that lake, and since 1980, I have seen the cycle repeat many times. I’m more concerned about the wake boats eroding shorelines and damaging property, that has become a problem. My boat is on a trailer like most everybody’s, which enables me to take it to Twok, Texoma, Bridgeport or any other lake to get my fishing in.

Re: The TPWD/BRA disaster that is Possum Kingdom Lake [Re: TCK73] #13665317 08/12/20 03:24 PM
P
PKfishin Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
P
Wake boats are nice when swimming at the beach. It's like being at the gulf, big waves. Those waves go over the front of my Aluminum boat though. Wake boats are a curse.

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Re: The TPWD/BRA disaster that is Possum Kingdom Lake [Re: PKfishin] #13665665 08/12/20 07:43 PM
C
captaincam3 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
I usually striper fish, but wanted to test my new trolling motor last weekend. Had a epic 1st 45 minutes of daylight of very healthy largemouth on topwater. A buddy of mine on upper lake went home with 50 really nice sandies. I thought it was a good day for being recreation season on that narrow clear lake.
Pretty reasonable population of 14-16 inch stripers and heathiest shad population in years. Unfortunate to lose all the stripers in floods, but better than the lake being 15ft. low. There was enough flowing through it 2019 to fill it up 5 times. That will jack up anything.

Last edited by captaincam3; 08/12/20 07:48 PM.

2012 Nautic Star 2200 Sport
Re: The TPWD/BRA disaster that is Possum Kingdom Lake [Re: captaincam3] #13665686 08/12/20 08:14 PM
T
TCK73 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by captaincam3
There was enough flowing through it 2019 to fill it up 5 times. That will jack up anything.

That seems to be a hard concept for some to grasp. Absolutely no amount of pre-release or preparation would have helped at all.

Re: The TPWD/BRA disaster that is Possum Kingdom Lake [Re: PKfishin] #13665736 08/12/20 09:02 PM
P
pop r Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
P
I fill your pain PKfishin. I've never fished the lake itself but in the 80's we would do a Memorial day 3 day float trip below the dam to a place called Rochells down river. (Not sure about the name.) We used a 14 foot aluminium jet boat for our travel. We carried beer, water, cooking oil,corn meal, can beans,bread, large skillet ,sleeping bags and flash lights. We ate crappie,sand bass,black bass,trout,and blue gill over the years. Our ice would be gone after a day and half then it got tough. The river would be packed but normally only 3 to 4 boats were fishing the rest were tired of paddling and just wanted to get to the check out point at Rochells. fish

Re: The TPWD/BRA disaster that is Possum Kingdom Lake [Re: TCK73] #13665964 08/13/20 12:19 AM
44 Diesel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TCK73
Originally Posted by captaincam3
There was enough flowing through it 2019 to fill it up 5 times. That will jack up anything.

That seems to be a hard concept for some to grasp. Absolutely no amount of pre-release or preparation would have helped at all.

Exactly, and some people think these lakes were created just for fishing and recreation. The river authority don't care about oxygen levels and its not their job. Their main concern is water levels and flows. Fishing in these lakes is just a side benefit that we get to enjoy. So I just try to enjoy it and fish as much as I can and have backup plans.

Re: The TPWD/BRA disaster that is Possum Kingdom Lake [Re: PKfishin] #13666322 08/13/20 12:25 PM
gborg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
PK fishing , you might pm Seapro Todd as he is a player in the association on Ray Hubbard. I have fished PK from the mid nineties to present. Big changes have taken place especially in the #'s of stripes taken.
The revenue stream as a result of land development, recreational vessels ,sports boats and all the paraphernalia attached must be an economic plus.
Is PK a water shed reservoir ??

Re: The TPWD/BRA disaster that is Possum Kingdom Lake [Re: pop r] #13666543 08/13/20 03:30 PM
P
PKfishin Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
P
Rochells is still there. BRA always releases some water and people float down to Corando camp where they pick them up. I think it's a two day trip as the Brazos bends are huge and the flow does not overcome the south wind.

Re: The TPWD/BRA disaster that is Possum Kingdom Lake [Re: gborg] #13666548 08/13/20 03:36 PM
P
PKfishin Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
P
Gborg: I believe that Abilene has a pipe to PK. Most of the water sales are down river to the chemical companies. I will see if Seapro Todd knows something about setting up an association. People are correct that BRA could care less about fishing and recreation, but the county government of Palo Pinto certainly does. BRA is a typical un-elected, unaccountable government agency that is actually doing things that counteract and hamper TPWD activity and reduce the revenue of local government.

Re: The TPWD/BRA disaster that is Possum Kingdom Lake [Re: PKfishin] #13667814 08/14/20 05:06 PM
F
Filletmaker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
It was a lot of work by a lot of people when Ray Hubbard Sportsman was set up. We found out quickly that Ray Hubbard was is the same situation as PK, with all the rains the Hybrids we stocked soon went out the Dam and down river. RHSA has not stocked Hybrids in years. Todd can answer all your question about starting an association but my personal though would be don't waste your time. The reason it works so well at Tawakoni is they have a spill way and not Gates.

Re: The TPWD/BRA disaster that is Possum Kingdom Lake [Re: PKfishin] #13671493 08/17/20 10:13 PM
R
RANDY WOOD Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
The good news is that next year will be good for keepers. We find huge schools of 17 inch stripers in the normal striper hangouts. There are a few keepers out there also.

Leader of the CORN BREAD MAFIA and the Captain of Team Family Style
2008 TSA Team of the Year

817-999-1922

Re: The TPWD/BRA disaster that is Possum Kingdom Lake [Re: PKfishin] #13671624 08/17/20 11:59 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I couldn’t disagree more. There are massive schools of 6 to 10 inch stripers all over the lake, the bass fishing is still very good and there were sand bass galore.
I was there last week from Tuesday till Saturday. Caught around 25 bass a day. Played with the little stripers all over the lake with an ultralight rig. There are tons of Shad both gizzard and threadfin everywhere.
Sat on a dock at friend of mines place up lake and caught huge sand bass from his two green lights on every cast till we got tire.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide