Print Thread
I got one fish #13661296 08/09/20 12:37 PM
H
HumanSeine Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
H
Ok I bait about 6 holes on lake fork every week. There is one fish that gets me almost on a weekly schedule. This fish just eats my Stubbys and starts swimming and does not go fast or slow but it breaks my 65 pound power pro. I think it must be a flathead and he lives where I bait out. I have considered setting out a hang line on this particular tree and baiting it with a large yellow bass or perch. I do catch flatheads occasionally on Stubbys cheese bait. I never specifically target flatheads. I realize I could have a harbor maybe a huge Carp doing this also. Seldom have I had a fish that I cannot turn with one of my ambassador 6500 reels. I am thinking this fish could be maybe a 50 pounder. I have caught a 32 pound fish on my rod and reel. I know I should have released it. Just in case anyone suggests big catfish fo not taste good they would be wrong. I fish with a tight drag because I am in some very large stumps and if I hot my drag loose I get five pound channel cats that live to grab my bait and wrap around a stump. Do I opted to use heavy braid and aggressively winch my fish away from the logs and stumps. I know I can catch fish other locations but I want to catch this one big fish preferably on my bait cast setup. If I catch it I will get littlewheel to post a picture for me.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: I got one fish [Re: HumanSeine] #13661325 08/09/20 12:57 PM
S
steveiam Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
I hope we get to see what it is, please do post if you catch it-

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Re: I got one fish [Re: HumanSeine] #13661332 08/09/20 01:08 PM
H
HumanSeine Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
H
I retie my hook on my setup after about every third fish catch with a palomar knot. This knot is what you use with braid. Do I don't think I have an equipment issue. I use power pro braid and it is the best in my opinion. I change my line about once a month do it is not a line problem. Now I do see some large Carp in my fishing areas but if it is a Carp it is huge. I look forward to getting this one to bite again soon.

Re: I got one fish [Re: HumanSeine] #13661556 08/09/20 03:56 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: I got one fish [Re: HumanSeine] #13661579 08/09/20 04:11 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
To give you an idea, the power of an Op (spotted YellowCat), I'll compare a Yellow & a Blue for you.

If you were juglining, a big Blue, say about 30 pounds or more, will dive, but get tired of holding a gallon jug under, then POP, it resurfaces. It will try again & again. Eventually it will tire itself out.

However, a big Op, say 40 pounder+ (possibly down to 30#), will dive for the bottom, taking the jug with it. It dives for cover. It will either wedge itself under a log or debris. It may even burrow into the mud. Which can create quite a suction cup. In this manner, this is why some refer to them as a Mudcat. And they can stay down for quite some time in this manner. You may not see your jug return to the surface for a few days, or until decides to venture out again, with the jug pulling towards the surface of the water.

"Big'Un" took me from the middle of the back seat of a sturdy old 1962 Elgin (from Sears) Flat bottom to the side. My arm was headed down into the water as it dove. I decided best to release it & go back to the stump & check the throwline oince again, with being prepared & braced. Sadly, it got off. That was August 1983. But I was testing & researching my Catfish Calendar. It definitely seemed to hit on YC (YellowCat) days, not BC (BlueCat) days. So I figured it was a big Op. The Blues bite great on YC days, but this one seemed to really eat the bait on YC days.

Fast Forward to July 1985 (almost 2 years later), and several times I had it on the line, but got away, especially the first week in June 1984. I had finally decided (in 1984) to angle a trotline near the stump, in order to get a better brace in order to catch it. Better leverage with a trotline, than a throwline which is loose on one end.

I finally caught her (female) on Sunday with my 4 year old daughter. Knowing how they run a pattern "8", I timed her to go straight into the dipnet & was in motion to swing net & fish right into the boat. Monday just before lunch, I weighed her at the meat locker plant in Madisonville. The Op was too long & its tail drug the bottom of the slide scale. It weighed in at 59#. But the guy who ran the scale said it should go 65# easily due to the tail taking some of the hanging weight off. I decided to just call it an even 60# so nobody could claim I was stretching its weight.

It bent out hooks from 4/0 to 8/0 and finally caught it on 9/0. She literally boiled water trying to dive in June 1984. That gives you an idea of their diving power.

My suggestion, is that you better go higher on your poundage of your line. Currently, "The Giant" (one I am trying to finally catch, in my estimate is a male, ranging from 115 to 150#. It usually rips the hook out. But on May 5th, 2018 I had it & as it dove or took off at an angle, I yanked up. The leader snapped, which was size 36 green trotline cord (core type braided, of which I thought was solid braided). This time it took the hook, but did not break my 4/0 SS barrell swivel.

It could also be a huge gar, cutting the line, as another possibility.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide