Forums59
Topics1,039,368
Posts13,963,452
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: AC repair, should I have him come back? (picture) [Re: lowew79] #13656883 08/05/20 01:51 AM
H
horndale11 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H
Things like this happen with after market motors.
Direct replacements take time to get but can be worth it.

Re: AC repair, should I have him come back? (picture) [Re: hopalong] #13656894 08/05/20 01:59 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by hopalong
tell him to fix it or you will call code enforcement.

total bs that way. you never leave exposed wire like that.

Correct. Not "NO" but "H3LL NO!". Even if the wiring was not outside the case, I do not like those light-duty plugable blade connectors. They are definitely not weather-proof either. Those two wires carry 110V AC, and I wonder if those connectors are even rated for that. (But they certainly are not meant to be out where a person could get to them.

Take some other photos backed up away from the wiring so they show where the wiring is located (which is readily accessible, and exposed to the weather). Talk to the owner/supervisor, and tell him you want the repair corrected to be code-compliant - by someone capable other than the original technician. Alternative, report to licensing.

I think some sloppy technicians do that (regardless of proper procedure) to make it easy to check for an open coil on the fan motor in the future - nothing more. They can disconnect those two red connectors and read the impedance without having to use a nutdriver/screwdriver to get into the case to a connection point. Great trade-off, huh? (meant sarcastically, of course).

Re: AC repair, should I have him come back? (picture) [Re: lowew79] #13657037 08/05/20 03:47 AM
L
Lakhota Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
I have see this hundreds of times and have never seen one short out can it happen yes but haven’t seen it yet. As far as getting TRLR involved I highly doubt they would do anything second I doubt the company is going to come back out and I’m sure the owner knows that the tech did it this way and has done it himself. The stake on’s were put on by the factory and are rated for 100, 208/230. Like was said the motor that was used is a universal motor and not OEM and that is why those wires are there just to change the rotation if needed. The universal motor was used to get your unit going and was cheaper than the OEM the ground wire could have been placed on one of the studs on the top of the motor and top of the unit. The reversing wires I would tape to keep the UV light from getting to stake on’s and deteriorating them.

Re: AC repair, should I have him come back? (picture) [Re: lowew79] #13657378 08/05/20 02:56 PM
L
lowew79 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
L
Okay but, after the fan is installed, and verified to be going the right direction, why would you need to reverse it?

Should I have insisted on a OEM part?

Politicians are like diapers, they both need to be changed often, and for the same reason - Unknown
Re: AC repair, should I have him come back? (picture) [Re: lowew79] #13657382 08/05/20 03:02 PM
D
Dave-0 Online Content
DYSON
Online Content
DYSON
D
Has to deal with the fan blades and which way they blow or suck. (ahem) So, a more generic motor can fit more applications.

Recently had a condenser fan go out and didn't have a spare one. Bought one from a HVAC place and installed. Was about to finish up and the fan was blowing air through the coils instead of sucking air through the coils. Unplugged the lead wires and switched the spade connectors and it was all finished and working great.

Laws won't fix a sin problem. What this world needs is a revival, change of the heart. ~The Skipper

Age is a number. Old is a lifestyle.
Re: AC repair, should I have him come back? (picture) [Re: lowew79] #13657387 08/05/20 03:08 PM
Jons3825 Offline
" Mod Alert"
" Mod Alert"
Originally Posted by lowew79
Had to get my AC Fan motor replaced. When the guy wired up the new one he passed some wires through the top of the unit. It wasn't like that before with the old unit. He said he does it this way to keep the wire from getting into the fan blades. It doesn't look right though and I've never seen it done this way on any other AC. Won't these wires wear out in the sun though as opposed to down inside the unit? Photo...

[Linked Image]

This is common, typical, and industry wide. There have been no failures, deaths, injuries, etc related to this practice. The other option is a much more expensive motor that is from the maker of the unit.

[Linked Image]
PM me for diving info or for recovery quote's.
LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Originally Posted by Brad
I will be back. I'm never truly gone
Re: AC repair, should I have him come back? (picture) [Re: Jons3825] #13657417 08/05/20 03:32 PM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Jons3825
Had to get my AC Fan motor replaced. When the guy wired up the new one he passed some wires through the top of the unit. It wasn't like that before with the old unit. He said he does it this way to keep the wire from getting into the fan blades. It doesn't look right though and I've never seen it done this way on any other AC. Won't these wires wear out in the sun though as opposed to down inside the unit? Photo...

[Linked Image]

This is common, typical, and industry wide. There have been no failures, deaths, injuries, etc related to this practice. The other option is a much more expensive motor that is from the maker of the unit.

In my 32+ years of A/C Wholesale experience I can tell you that is 100% accurate!

We have companies here that will charge you $250-300 to change a motor (it might look like yours) and then there are companies that charge $1500-1800 to do the same job (It might even look like yours)! hmmm

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: AC repair, should I have him come back? (picture) [Re: lowew79] #13657421 08/05/20 03:35 PM
L
lowew79 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
L
they charged me about 500$ motor, service call, and install.

Politicians are like diapers, they both need to be changed often, and for the same reason - Unknown
Re: AC repair, should I have him come back? (picture) [Re: lowew79] #13657422 08/05/20 03:35 PM
B
Brandon Adamcik Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Very common

Czechfish
Re: AC repair, should I have him come back? (picture) [Re: BigDozer66] #13657427 08/05/20 03:42 PM
L
lowew79 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted by BigDozer66

[Linked Image]

In my 32+ years of A/C Wholesale experience I can tell you that is 100% accurate!

We have companies here that will charge you $250-300 to change a motor (it might look like yours) and then there are companies that charge $1500-1800 to do the same job (It might even look like yours)! hmmm

Wow really? So many opinions either way

Re: AC repair, should I have him come back? (picture) [Re: Jons3825] #13657432 08/05/20 03:46 PM
Chris B Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

[Linked Image]

Jon, if you think this is bad you should see the advice given to wire a cooktop. I wish people would only answer on here when they truly know what they are talking about. There are people calling for this guy to lose his license for crying out loud.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: AC repair, should I have him come back? (picture) [Re: BigDozer66] #13657436 08/05/20 03:49 PM
D
Dave-0 Online Content
DYSON
Online Content
DYSON
D

[Linked Image]

You have got to be shartin me. I don't get away from the complexes I work at very often, but of the residential I have seen/worked on, never seen this. How can that even be allowed? Seems to me to be unethical and just plain lazy.

Laws won't fix a sin problem. What this world needs is a revival, change of the heart. ~The Skipper

Age is a number. Old is a lifestyle.
Re: AC repair, should I have him come back? (picture) [Re: lowew79] #13657439 08/05/20 03:50 PM
Jons3825 Offline
" Mod Alert"
" Mod Alert"
Lowew, Doxer has 32 years in the supply chain, I have 18 year in the field on commercial, residential and industrial from cryogenic lab freezers up to 5,500 ton chilled water systems. what is the experience and knowledge of the opinions the other way? Majority of the OT will chime in with " change the cap" for almost any " ac help" thread with no knowledge of why to change it, what diagnostics should be done to see why a part went out, and what steps to ensure the system performs properly, safely and efficiently as possible.

[Linked Image]
Re: AC repair, should I have him come back? (picture) [Re: Dave-0] #13657443 08/05/20 03:52 PM
Jons3825 Offline
" Mod Alert"
" Mod Alert"
I should take you on a tour that would blow your mind..... So many things i came across and had to correct in my years.....

Originally Posted by Dave-0

[Linked Image]

You have got to be shartin me. I don't get away from the complexes I work at very often, but of the residential I have seen/worked on, never seen this. How can that even be allowed? Seems to me to be unethical and just plain lazy.

[Linked Image]
Re: AC repair, should I have him come back? (picture) [Re: Chris B] #13657444 08/05/20 03:55 PM
Jons3825 Offline
" Mod Alert"
" Mod Alert"
I hear ya... I mean, this guy went above and beyond a large number of "techs" by actually connecting the ground wire and not clipping it off at the terminal. I have been lit up by 24,120,208,240,277 and 480 because of super techs not grounding equipment.

Originally Posted by Chris B

[Linked Image]

Jon, if you think this is bad you should see the advice given to wire a cooktop. I wish people would only answer on here when they truly know what they are talking about. There are people calling for this guy to lose his license for crying out loud.

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide