Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649519 07/29/20 10:22 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by armadilla
I need some advice on how I should have handled a situation that really angered me last Monday. I have bass fished on Lake Whitney for the last 25 years. Some of you old timers may remember my Whitney Lake Online website.

Anyway, last Monday morning The Boss and I got up early and went to the lake, launching about 6:30 am. One of our favorite spots is over by Katy Bridge in the back of the big cove on the west side of the bridge. There is one small spot there that most always produce a fish on top water for me.

There was a boat on the shoreline on the other side of the cove, some 300 or 400 yards from where my spot is on the opposite side of the cove. I went to my spot and we started fishing. First thing, I let a small bass get off. We didn't move from this spot, we only fish the one 20' spot. We circle back to fish it again and I noticed that the boat that had been across the cove is speedily making its way toward us. Shortly it arrived and the guy in it began casting into the same location we were. Then he proceeded to troll right across where we were fishing

I asked him if I was in his way. He responded that he fished “this old road bed every morning” and that I had “cut him off.” We had some more words and he challenged me to “come on over here.” Well after some encouragement from The Boss, I pulled up the trolling motor and we left... It appeared to us he was either an idiot or just not in his right mind.

BUT, it was obvious he was a YANKEE. He was in one of those small aluminum Lund or Lowe deep V fishing boats... no deck but did have chairs with a half dozen or so rods poked up in back. He had his little floppy hat cinched up under his chin. His accent was definitely YANKEE, maybe Wisconsin, Michigan or the like. I don't know specifically what lure he was using, but it appeared to be a Little George or similar lure. At any rate, not your typical southern bass fisherman.

I don't know, this man was a ¼ mile or so from us when stopped and we didn't move from our spot over the 5 to 10 minutes or so that we were there. When we first saw him, he could have been fishing in the one spot or moved in either direction along the shore line. It never occurred to me that I could possibly be “cutting him off” as we were across the cove from him. In my 25 years of fishing on Lake Whitney, I have never encountered this man before... and hopefully will never again.

As the days have passed, I have wondered how I should have handled this. I just hate it when people run over me, especially rude people from up North.

What would you have done? How would you have handled this situation?

Ive had southerners do the same thing to me and Im a yankee. Even had guys turn and change direction on falcon and come 200 yards towards me to yell at me.. There are some real idiots out there.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649539 07/29/20 10:28 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Don't stoop to that yankees level. You had your wife with you so you did the right thing. Just be sure to wake him real good as you leave.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649587 07/29/20 10:43 PM
D
Damnyankee Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Damn Yankees!

Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649591 07/29/20 10:47 PM
B
basscaster46 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by armadilla
I need some advice on how I should have handled a situation that really angered me last Monday. I have bass fished on Lake Whitney for the last 25 years. Some of you old timers may remember my Whitney Lake Online website.

Anyway, last Monday morning The Boss and I got up early and went to the lake, launching about 6:30 am. One of our favorite spots is over by Katy Bridge in the back of the big cove on the west side of the bridge. There is one small spot there that most always produce a fish on top water for me.

There was a boat on the shoreline on the other side of the cove, some 300 or 400 yards from where my spot is on the opposite side of the cove. I went to my spot and we started fishing. First thing, I let a small bass get off. We didn't move from this spot, we only fish the one 20' spot. We circle back to fish it again and I noticed that the boat that had been across the cove is speedily making its way toward us. Shortly it arrived and the guy in it began casting into the same location we were. Then he proceeded to troll right across where we were fishing

I asked him if I was in his way. He responded that he fished “this old road bed every morning” and that I had “cut him off.” We had some more words and he challenged me to “come on over here.” Well after some encouragement from The Boss, I pulled up the trolling motor and we left... It appeared to us he was either an idiot or just not in his right mind.

BUT, it was obvious he was a YANKEE. He was in one of those small aluminum Lund or Lowe deep V fishing boats... no deck but did have chairs with a half dozen or so rods poked up in back. He had his little floppy hat cinched up under his chin. His accent was definitely YANKEE, maybe Wisconsin, Michigan or the like. I don't know specifically what lure he was using, but it appeared to be a Little George or similar lure. At any rate, not your typical southern bass fisherman.

I don't know, this man was a ¼ mile or so from us when stopped and we didn't move from our spot over the 5 to 10 minutes or so that we were there. When we first saw him, he could have been fishing in the one spot or moved in either direction along the shore line. It never occurred to me that I could possibly be “cutting him off” as we were across the cove from him. In my 25 years of fishing on Lake Whitney, I have never encountered this man before... and hopefully will never again.

As the days have passed, I have wondered how I should have handled this. I just hate it when people run over me, especially rude people from up North.

What would you have done? How would you have handled this situation?

They ain’t in Kansas anymore most anglers I know carry everywhere I leave nothing in my truck
Also have a defense shotgun in my boat mainly because I want to keep it from theives.
Just stick it in boat my handgun well I keep it handy. I haven’t harassed a sole I no violent person but with what is going on I don’t want to be a victim of it. Be safe stay away from morons and just get home in one piece.
Damn shame we can’t even fish in piece.
J. D

I got all day I’m retired
Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649626 07/29/20 11:10 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Gun or no the guy basically crossed the cove to eff with the OP........ he's basically a bully.

I don't try to find trouble but I am not gonna be muscled off a spot by some one like that , I will tell em strait up you are in the wrong and to go away and pull that S on some one that is gonna take it.

I try like crazy to be courteous , I will motor up and ask some one if they are sitting on a pile or moving if I need to fall in behind them I will. I will apologize to some one if I barrel around a corner in a tight shallow area and get in their space. It's not hard at all to be cool to others.

Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649646 07/29/20 11:27 PM
E
elkhartdom Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
E
had an idiot at twakanee do almost the same with me, in my younger days, I finally told him to either shut up and fish or my 300.000 insured boat was going to drive right over him.
people are just stupid sometimes, me included, and you just have to chalk it up to that.
needless to say, he shut up, and left.

at the sound of my name, fish tremble
HI HO SILVER AWAY!!!ranger Z521,250 sho,black and silver
TD: BMET 6263
http://theboatcentertx.com
bmoet@facebook
"I humble myself before God, there the list ends" Sam Houston
Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649677 07/29/20 11:52 PM
I
Igofish2 Offline
Angler
Angler
I
Unfortunately it's a sign of the times all across the country. I just raise the trolling motor & move on. Does it PISS me off Hell YES. But it's just another day on the lake.

Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649707 07/30/20 12:36 AM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
At this stage in my life I’d (probably) just moved on...or just sat there. You’re lucky though cus you posted your question on a forum with many keyboard Chuck Norris’s! laugh They’ll be here in a moment to let you know what they would have done if there.

Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649717 07/30/20 12:59 AM
E
ezbassin Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
There are too many people out there on the water that don't respect others. Its a shame that it has gotten that way.

Last edited by ezbassin; 07/30/20 05:32 AM.
Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649732 07/30/20 01:17 AM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
There would have been some very colorful conversation for sure. Then once I finally got my wife calmed down I would have left. She is Italian from Queens so he would have probably met his match.

Re: What would you have done? [Re: SAKS] #13649744 07/30/20 01:22 AM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by SAKS
There would have been some very colorful conversation for sure. Then once I finally got my wife calmed down I would have left. She is Italian from Queens so he would have probably met his match.

roflmao thumb

Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649792 07/30/20 02:08 AM
Greg W Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Same as driving. Somebody cuts me off, I used to lay on the horn. Now I just brake and move away. Too many nut jobs with guns. Wife just says none of this is worth dying for. She's right, I have grand babies to play with.

Re: What would you have done? [Re: Tiltman] #13649807 07/30/20 02:21 AM
B
basscaster46 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Tiltman
Gun or no the guy basically crossed the cove to eff with the OP........ he's basically a bully.

I don't try to find trouble but I am not gonna be muscled off a spot by some one like that , I will tell em strait up you are in the wrong and to go away and pull that S on some one that is gonna take it.

I try like crazy to be courteous , I will motor up and ask some one if they are sitting on a pile or moving if I need to fall in behind them I will. I will apologize to some one if I barrel around a corner in a tight shallow area and get in their space. It's not hard at all to be cool to others.

Be nice hasn’t worked since the nineties you either speak up or the ignore

I got all day I’m retired
Re: What would you have done? [Re: SAKS] #13649824 07/30/20 02:49 AM
W
Weavertree Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Originally Posted by SAKS

I have one of those on my boat too! 100% Sicilian with the temperament to match. VERY vocally protective of family and friends. And a great fishing partner to boot!

Re: What would you have done? [Re: armadilla] #13649878 07/30/20 04:25 AM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I would have asked him what his major malfunction was! realmad

There is no reason for ill mannered people to get away with their boorish behavior! texas

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide