Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
Re: Just wear the mask [Re: JacksonBean] #13621309 07/06/20 08:51 PM
P
pchapin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
[quote=JacksonBean

Has anyone wondered why you can't swab the inside of your cheek to take the Covid-19 test or better yet, cough on the stick? If what you post here is true, and it looks really legitimate with all of the fancy graphics and citation references, shouldn't a mouth swab or a cough be enough?

Thoughts?

J

P.S. What was the distance of the blue arrow on the transmission probability? roflmao [/quote]

I had the test at Methodist outpatient this morning. Technically I could have spit in the girl's face, she could have swabbed it off and sent to the lab. They prefer it up the nose and so do I.

Re: Just wear the mask [Re: Uncle Zeek] #13621357 07/06/20 09:33 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
This oughta keep people far away from me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Notice who makes mine.

Re: Just wear the mask [Re: Jpurdue] #13621412 07/06/20 10:14 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
WAWI just attempting to stir the pot. I've agreed with Jackson on most COVID related things since day one. Which is very different than WAWI, as we've agreed on nothing. Jackson is certainly entitled to his opinion. I strongly suspect he's wrong based on what I see most doctors saying and the studies I've read, but I will say I put vastly more weight on what Jackson says than many other other anti-maskers on here. Hopefully time will tell, although I'm stunned time hasn't told already.

Don't give me too much credit Josh. I'm getting frustrated by the media outlets and the propagation of nonsense that I can best attribute to it being an election year and the implications that has. I got a laugh earlier though when I was doing work up on an upcoming double jaw surgery case (you know, one of those normal 6 hour surgeries we dentists do) wink and the paperwork from Hunt County Regional Hospital had this interesting bit of facts. Skim down to the line just above "What do I do if I think I have coronavirus?"

[Linked Image]

People come to my office with a variety of masks all day long and I get to see more than I should. Many of my patients are using a single use disposable surgical mask to a point where there is a smudge on the outside where they've been raising and lowering it for days with their dirty hands. Technically speaking, you cannot touch the mask or you've contaminated it. Nevertheless, they are happy and feel safe running from Wal-Mart to the grocery store touching countless potentially contaminated surfaces and BECAUSE OF THE MASK, then touching their face. I see the hands go from the phone, to the mask, to the countertop, to a random ink pen, back to the phone and back to the mask a few times to raise and lower it so they can speak or breathe better. I don't think I've ever seen our population as a whole touch their faces as much as they have during the pandemic. Why can't we just exercise strict social distancing which has proven to be effective throughout history? Much too simple I guess so instead we will depend upon the infection control practices of the common man who has little to no training on the subject. I don't mean to lump everyone into one category as reality is nothing like that.

We can surely agree that the drastically ramped up testing has a lot to do with the increase in the number of positives. Also, the head of the Covid-19 Task Force for NE Texas told me that if one person tests positive in a household of seven, you document that as seven positive cases instead of one. I'm no math major but doesn't that seem weird? I'd love to hear that rationale when members of a household make you an automatic positive as we have seen that's far from reality. What about when parents test at multiple sites? Dad tests positive at CVS on his lunch hour in Plano and Mom tests positive at AA Center? That goes down as fourteen? C'mon...... That's some crazy math. What about the second test that confirms the first diagnosis? Well, that depends on if you did it at the same site or not and if it's documented properly. Otherwise, that's two positives for one person. Again, that's some crazy math.

Isn't it bizarre that you can't go cough on the test swab to see if you're positive? Or how about a cheek swab so that we know saliva gets transferred? If these asymptomatic carriers are that infectious, doesn't that seem like an inaccuracy with what's being reported? My MD buddy is a board certified ER doc and has a chain of urgent care facilities across the south and he's making crazy money during this crisis on testing alone. I'll simply say that distinctive lines that used to exist regarding a differential diagnosis and what tests were indicated in various situations have been blurred. There are big money corporate players in the hospital game so just think about that for a bit.

Don't get me wrong...... I have a few patients that a Covid-19 diagnosis could be fatal. I have two transplant patients on immunosupressives and you'd better believe we approach them with the utmost respect and caution. I also work on a lot of elderly and they deserve us taking extra precautions if we have to share the same space.

Now for the burning question many want to hear..... If someone is truly sick and they have a cloth face covering on and cough, will the face covering knock down the droplet spray? Of course it will. However..... It is my opinion that all of the face touching, space sharing, protesting, rioting and lack of hand washing are responsible for the cases that continue today (large asterisk here as who knows what this number truly is) and that it outweighs those rare, asymptomatic, highly infectious people that are supposedly walking around coughing on everyone.

I've never been one for conspiracy theories but sometimes there's a shred of truth to some of them. I hope we can all think about what we are being told and do some critical thinking for ourselves. I happen to believe social media allows the rapid propagation of misinformation at a speed where the most robust fact-checking hardly keeps pace. I'm concerned for our country and unsure what our future is going to look like. Prayer now, more than ever.

J

[Linked Image]
Re: Just wear the mask [Re: WAWI] #13621420 07/06/20 10:22 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by WAWI
[Linked Image]

The disclaimer on the box speaks volumes about this lol.

Photoshop.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Just wear the mask [Re: Allison1] #13621431 07/06/20 10:33 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"
roflmao roflmao roflmao

oh lordy I needed that laugh!!

Originally Posted by Allison1
[Linked Image]

Notice who makes mine.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Just wear the mask [Re: Catch25] #13621458 07/06/20 10:56 PM
Westside. Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Lmao ^^^^^

Re: Just wear the mask [Re: JacksonBean] #13621467 07/06/20 11:03 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by JacksonBean
WAWI just attempting to stir the pot. I've agreed with Jackson on most COVID related things since day one. Which is very different than WAWI, as we've agreed on nothing. Jackson is certainly entitled to his opinion. I strongly suspect he's wrong based on what I see most doctors saying and the studies I've read, but I will say I put vastly more weight on what Jackson says than many other other anti-maskers on here. Hopefully time will tell, although I'm stunned time hasn't told already.

Don't give me too much credit Josh. I'm getting frustrated by the media outlets and the propagation of nonsense that I can best attribute to it being an election year and the implications that has. I got a laugh earlier though when I was doing work up on an upcoming double jaw surgery case (you know, one of those normal 6 hour surgeries we dentists do) wink and the paperwork from Hunt County Regional Hospital had this interesting bit of facts. Skim down to the line just above "What do I do if I think I have coronavirus?"

[Linked Image]

People come to my office with a variety of masks all day long and I get to see more than I should. Many of my patients are using a single use disposable surgical mask to a point where there is a smudge on the outside where they've been raising and lowering it for days with their dirty hands. Technically speaking, you cannot touch the mask or you've contaminated it. Nevertheless, they are happy and feel safe running from Wal-Mart to the grocery store touching countless potentially contaminated surfaces and BECAUSE OF THE MASK, then touching their face. I see the hands go from the phone, to the mask, to the countertop, to a random ink pen, back to the phone and back to the mask a few times to raise and lower it so they can speak or breathe better. I don't think I've ever seen our population as a whole touch their faces as much as they have during the pandemic. Why can't we just exercise strict social distancing which has proven to be effective throughout history? Much too simple I guess so instead we will depend upon the infection control practices of the common man who has little to no training on the subject. I don't mean to lump everyone into one category as reality is nothing like that.

We can surely agree that the drastically ramped up testing has a lot to do with the increase in the number of positives. Also, the head of the Covid-19 Task Force for NE Texas told me that if one person tests positive in a household of seven, you document that as seven positive cases instead of one. I'm no math major but doesn't that seem weird? I'd love to hear that rationale when members of a household make you an automatic positive as we have seen that's far from reality. What about when parents test at multiple sites? Dad tests positive at CVS on his lunch hour in Plano and Mom tests positive at AA Center? That goes down as fourteen? C'mon...... That's some crazy math. What about the second test that confirms the first diagnosis? Well, that depends on if you did it at the same site or not and if it's documented properly. Otherwise, that's two positives for one person. Again, that's some crazy math.

Isn't it bizarre that you can't go cough on the test swab to see if you're positive? Or how about a cheek swab so that we know saliva gets transferred? If these asymptomatic carriers are that infectious, doesn't that seem like an inaccuracy with what's being reported? My MD buddy is a board certified ER doc and has a chain of urgent care facilities across the south and he's making crazy money during this crisis on testing alone. I'll simply say that distinctive lines that used to exist regarding a differential diagnosis and what tests were indicated in various situations have been blurred. There are big money corporate players in the hospital game so just think about that for a bit.

Don't get me wrong...... I have a few patients that a Covid-19 diagnosis could be fatal. I have two transplant patients on immunosupressives and you'd better believe we approach them with the utmost respect and caution. I also work on a lot of elderly and they deserve us taking extra precautions if we have to share the same space.

Now for the burning question many want to hear..... If someone is truly sick and they have a cloth face covering on and cough, will the face covering knock down the droplet spray? Of course it will. However..... It is my opinion that all of the face touching, space sharing, protesting, rioting and lack of hand washing are responsible for the cases that continue today (large asterisk here as who knows what this number truly is) and that it outweighs those rare, asymptomatic, highly infectious people that are supposedly walking around coughing on everyone.

I've never been one for conspiracy theories but sometimes there's a shred of truth to some of them. I hope we can all think about what we are being told and do some critical thinking for ourselves. I happen to believe social media allows the rapid propagation of misinformation at a speed where the most robust fact-checking hardly keeps pace. I'm concerned for our country and unsure what our future is going to look like. Prayer now, more than ever.

J

You might get more distance by creating a thread talking about how to properly use a face mask than to say they don't work.

In general, in my opinion only, you have promoted not using a mask.

Re: Just wear the mask [Re: Allison1] #13621482 07/06/20 11:18 PM
G
Gusick Online Sick
TFF Guru
Online Sick
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
This oughta keep people far away from me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Notice who makes mine.

I tried one of those on today and I don't like the way it smells. It smells like clean underwear, but still, I don't like it.

Re: Just wear the mask [Re: Catch25] #13621487 07/06/20 11:20 PM
E
Emit R Detsaw Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
[Linked Image]

May you be treated the way you treat other people, today and everyday!

Re: Just wear the mask [Re: Allison1] #13621619 07/07/20 01:07 AM
K
K3913 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
Originally Posted by JacksonBean

[Linked Image]

J

You might get more distance by creating a thread talking about how to properly use a face mask than to say they don't work.

Good! Nobody should be! Personal freedoms should not be infringed upon whether or not you agree with it.

Last edited by K3913; 07/07/20 01:08 AM.
Re: Just wear the mask [Re: Catch25] #13621749 07/07/20 03:02 AM
Bee'z Offline
honey boo boo
honey boo boo
I am still not wearing one and won't. Good talk lol

[Linked Image]
Re: Just wear the mask [Re: Allison1] #13622246 07/07/20 04:33 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

I think you've misunderstood me completely. I'm not trying to get "distance" or convince you of anything. In my office, I show you what your options are and talk about relative risks but the decision is always yours. This is no different.

Here's the American Chemical Society's Public Health Emergency Initiative snippet which is likely the most thorough and current evaluation available.

The COVID-19 pandemic is currently causing a severe disruption and shortage in the global supply chain of necessary personal protective equipment (e.g., N95 respirators). The U.S. CDC has recommended use of household cloth by the general public to make cloth face coverings as a method of source control. We evaluated the filtration properties of natural and synthetic materials using a modified procedure for N95 respirator approval. Common fabrics of cotton, polyester, nylon, and silk had filtration efficiency of 5–25%, polypropylene spunbond had filtration efficiency 6–10%, and paper-based products had filtration efficiency of 10–20%. An advantage of polypropylene spunbond is that it can be simply triboelectrically charged to enhance the filtration efficiency (from 6 to >10%) without any increase in pressure (stable overnight and in humid environments). Using the filtration quality factor, fabric microstructure, and charging ability, we are able to provide an assessment of suggested fabric materials for homemade facial coverings. A summary of the results described in this manuscript is presented in Table 2, ranked by filtration quality factor, Q. Cotton, polyester, and polypropylene multilayered structures can meet or even exceed the efficiency of materials used in some medical face masks. However, the exact number of layers, basis weight, and thread-count of material will need to be considered in addition to the fluid resistance and performance under breathing. In our work (Table S1), we found that a five-layer structure of PP-4 after charging can achieve filtration efficiency ∼50%. Although the medical face masks tested here (∼19–33% filtration efficiency) have a pressure drop of roughly 16–34 Pa, the five-layer structure can achieve a higher filtration efficiency and pressure drop <10 Pa. This is particularly relevant, as there is a concern in the sealing of both disposable medical masks and cloth face coverings. We reiterate that these filtration efficiencies are only applicable if there is no leakage in the seals of the masks, as loose-fitting devices such as these coverings and medical masks do not have any gasket or tight-fitting mechanism to ensure a proper seal. The leakage of air around the seal areas is significant and can contribute to real-world exposure to aerosols.24,26 Previous reports suggest that 60% of users fail the fitting of surgical masks on first attempt.24 This risk is also carried over in cloth face coverings that do not have any special form of sealing. When designing new facial coverings for community use, it is advisible to make users aware of this risk and to design cloth face coverings with pressure drop across the covering is as low as possible (with filtration efficiency as high as possible), otherwise air contaminants (particulates, viruses, infectious droplets, etc.) will preferentially flow through gaps and leaks at the skin and cloth contact points limiting any effectiveness of filtration in a de facto form of respiratory protection. The general public should be aware of the risks of self-contamination during removal and reuse of cloth face coverings. Finally, an important distinction to make is that surgical masks are designed and intended as a form of barrier protection and provide fluid resistance for use in hospitals. The materials evaluated in this study for cloth face coverings are not intended to be used by healthcare workers or any other workers as a form of respiratory protection. Further, we did not investigate the effects of cleaning or disinfecting of the materials studied. These effects could be evaluated in future work. Personal protective equipment, such as surgical masks cleared for sale by the FDA and respiratory protection approved by NIOSH, comprise only one aspect of a hierarchy of infection prevention and control measures. The WHO and CDC recommend that other measures also be used with masks or respirators.14,39 These additional measures as well as the efficacy of cloth coverings are covered in the Supporting Information.

The above reference is similar to many others that show a lack of effectiveness of most masks with HOW the general public is using them. Obviously, we should first follow the law and then whatever we each feel is in our best interest. The only public mask I've worn in the last few months was getting on a commercial flight and I wore an N95 but I also don't go to many public places. The OP says to "Just wear the mask" implying don't ask any questions but that's setting a dangerous precedent based on some very lopsided information.

I respect your right to wear a mask in a car alone or when you're out at the lake fishing, etc., but just remember where your rights end and mine begin. If you want to classify me as an "anti-masker" than that's fine, though I wear one frequently. I'm more a proponent of getting educated on a topic and thinking for ourselves. Socially distance from each other during this tough time as we know that works. Oh yeah...... Wash your hands fanatically and quit touching your face. wink

J

[Linked Image]
Re: Just wear the mask [Re: Catch25] #13622276 07/07/20 04:49 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Can I change my vote in the poll?

[Linked Image]
Re: Just wear the mask [Re: Chris B] #13622280 07/07/20 04:50 PM
D
Davedave Offline