Forums59
Topics1,039,271
Posts13,961,982
Members144,197
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Are you planning to send your kids back to school? [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #13620723 07/06/20 02:14 PM
L
LoneStarSon Online Content
Private Dancer
Online Content
Private Dancer
L
Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
Originally Posted by LoneStarSon
A company designed a 'treatment shield' for massage therapists. It's plexiglass and molded to go over the clients face with 4" to 6" of space between them and the plexiglass. Nail salons have a plexiglass cashier's window looking thing. I'm surprised schools don't have something similar for teachers. They could have one over the lectern or desk to protect the teacher and student...Probably a heck of a lot cheaper than providing laptops/tablets for all the kids.

kids get laptops either way here. also, that window may help the teacher, but what about the kids? do we build something around each one?

You could...I think we're doing that in our lecture halls, but I'm not sure as that was told to me by a student and not someone in administration.

Re: Are you planning to send your kids back to school? [Re: Jpurdue] #13620730 07/06/20 02:19 PM
T Bird Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

Okie by birth, Texan by choice.
[Linked Image]
USAF "Thunderbirds" Alumni 1985-1989

Re: Are you planning to send your kids back to school? [Re: Jpurdue] #13620782 07/06/20 02:51 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
Originally Posted by COFF
Lots of different rumors going around about what schools are going to do. The most common variation seems to be a hybrid of online and in-building schooling with only half the students in the building on any given day.

We need to have a special stimulus package for essential business working parents. Give us $600/week so that we can hire in-home child care so that we can focus on working and keep our essential businesses running.

And that's why I think the hybrid schedule is DOA. It does parents zero good. I'm not sure what good it does the kids either? What they can only spread the virus on certain days of the week? We'll have untold economic damage if parents are required to be home half the week to home school their children.

Two of my college buddies are educators on the east coast. One is a teacher/coach the other is a principle. The principle obviously has been working with the school board but the school board has the ultimate decision authority. They’ve been pushing hard for a hybrid distance learning/in school part time model. Half the kids are in school Monday and Tuesday, the other half does distance leaning from home. They switch Wednesday and Thursday and all kids distance learn Fridays.

Logically, that just doesn’t make sense. If they can be in school twice a week, why wouldn’t they be in five days a week? Or if they can have some level of distance learning five days, why have kids in school at all? The objections to distance learning, in part, are that kids don’t pay attention, or log in at all, or schools aren’t set up for it. Then how can you do a hybrid model at all? If it’s dangerous to have kids in school five days a week, then it’s dangerous to have kids in school twice a week (and may be more questionable to have them in two days a week, then take five days off, then have them back in school again).

And then you add in the logistical issues of having kids home three days a week and parents needing to work. That would be a disaster. Obviously, the business world is going to have to do what it did in March and April and allow people to work from home (and many companies are going to have to do that anyway, with the infection rate where it is, offices are going to have to close down. My wife’s office lasted two weeks before it closed down again when an employee tested positive).

The hybrid model makes no logistical or logical sense. If kids can be in half the week, they can be in the full week. If they can distance learn some portion of the entire week, they should just do that 100% of the time. Schools are going to have positive cases. Is the plan to shut it down as soon as a confirmed case hits? Then they’re going to do 100% DL? May as well just start with 100% DL.

[Linked Image]
Re: Are you planning to send your kids back to school? [Re: Jpurdue] #13620784 07/06/20 02:55 PM
RATZ Offline
Activity Coordinator
Activity Coordinator
I'm not as worried about my to be 6th grader doing online learning, but I'll have one starting kindergarten next year. How am I supposed to teach him to learn online?

If God is your co-pilot then change seats

https://abaltcustomlures.com/

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Are you planning to send your kids back to school? [Re: RATZ] #13620792 07/06/20 02:59 PM
BCBassCat Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by RATZ
I'm not as worried about my to be 6th grader doing online learning, but I'll have one starting kindergarten next year. How am I supposed to teach him to learn online?

I'd ask my wife's opinion, she teaches kindergarten. But I'm not.

Re: Are you planning to send your kids back to school? [Re: Jpurdue] #13620794 07/06/20 03:00 PM
Pinkus Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
You people better send your kids to school, I’m not getting rapped on property taxes yearly for nothing.. I sure hope it’s going to be prorated next time around

Re: Are you planning to send your kids back to school? [Re: Jpurdue] #13620824 07/06/20 03:20 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
If in grade school and if they go back, this will trigger the largest wave of Covid spread yet.
Its not just the kids, its the kids parents and extended family that will be in jeopardy.

For college students who live at the college, so long as they don't keep going home they will contain it better than those who live at home or go home frequently.

I'm glad I don't have to make that choice anymore. I have one daughter who is taking a couple specialized courses but she is doing it online. She is self motivated and gets good grades.

Re: Are you planning to send your kids back to school? [Re: Jpurdue] #13620866 07/06/20 03:43 PM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
No

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Are you planning to send your kids back to school? [Re: Allison1] #13620885 07/06/20 03:50 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Allison1
If in grade school and if they go back, this will trigger the largest wave of Covid spread yet.
Its not just the kids, its the kids parents and extended family that will be in jeopardy.

For college students who live at the college, so long as they don't keep going home they will contain it better than those who live at home or go home frequently.

I'm glad I don't have to make that choice anymore. I have one daughter who is taking a couple specialized courses but she is doing it online. She is self motivated and gets good grades.

Largest wave yet is correct, and that's still much better than the alternative of economic destruction and our educational system falling apart. Give parents the choice. If they or their kids are high risk it might make sense to try the at home thing. Other wise the olds and high risk folks need to shelter in place so the rest of the healthy people can get on with their lives. Hospitals have increased capacity. PPE is available Testing is available. I'll take my 1 in 200 chance so that my kids can get the best education possible.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Are you planning to send your kids back to school? [Re: Jpurdue] #13621190 07/06/20 07:30 PM
L
lowew79 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
trying my very best to get my wife to agree that my step-daughter should wait to start college and take the fall off, they are fighting me on it though.

Politicians are like diapers, they both need to be changed often, and for the same reason - Unknown
Re: Are you planning to send your kids back to school? [Re: Jpurdue] #13621197 07/06/20 07:34 PM
G
Gourdbuster Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
G
No, at least not for the first semester. He did well with the online school at the end of this year. So that is not a concern academically. But we do intend for him to return eventually whether he wants to or not.

“You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.
We're all part of the same compost heap.
We're the all singing, all dancing [censored] of the world.”

-Chuck Palahniuk

Re: Are you planning to send your kids back to school? [Re: Gourdbuster] #13621202 07/06/20 07:37 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Gourdbuster
No, at least not for the first semester. He did well with the online school at the end of this year. So that is not a concern academically. But we do intend for him to return eventually whether he wants to or not.

How old is your kid Gourd?

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Are you planning to send your kids back to school? [Re: Jpurdue] #13621255 07/06/20 08:18 PM
G
Gourdbuster Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
G
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
Originally Posted by Gourdbuster

How old is your kid Gourd?

“You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.
We're all part of the same compost heap.
We're the all singing, all dancing [censored] of the world.”

-Chuck Palahniuk

Re: Are you planning to send your kids back to school? [Re: Jpurdue] #13621264 07/06/20 08:26 PM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN
The age demographics show school age kids not heavily impacted by COVID. Texas Data.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: Are you planning to send your kids back to school? [Re: Jpurdue] #13621269 07/06/20 08:29 PM
P
Pintail711 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
I registered my daughter for the 5th grade the other day. Her school is offering virtual learning or in class.. the school district purchased 593 chrome books. You better believe her butt will be sitting in that class room.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide