Print Thread
Finding carp #13603949 06/22/20 02:32 PM
M
MemphisBelle Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
For the ones who fly fish for carp. How are you finding and getting these suckers to bite? I would like to get my first carp on a fly rod but they just seem very difficult to get. Any advice would be appreciated

Re: Finding carp [Re: MemphisBelle] #13604053 06/22/20 04:04 PM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Carp are opportunistic feeders and will adapt to different feeding methods in different locations. Start by finding an area with a large concentration of carp. Watch for hard core carp anglers (they are the crazy anglers using alarms, flat rod holders, and great big nets lol). Look for areas where people are feeding ducks. If you want a good example of this go to Lynn creek marina on Joe Pool lake lol. Also, fishing after a heavy rain will increase carp feeding and can be a great time to catch carp on a fly. You can often see carp feeding in floating debris after a heavy rain You can further concentrate carp by chumming range cubes. For me the worst time to catch them is when they are actively spawning, even though this is when they are the most visible.

Although fishing interest in carp is increasing, I believe they are the most underutilized freshwater fish species. Unfortunately, they are “smarter” and harder to catch than many fish species, which is one of the reasons they have adapted so well to habitats all over the country.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Re: Finding carp [Re: MemphisBelle] #13604697 06/23/20 12:41 AM
K
kaboboom Offline
Angler
Angler
K
If you can't see carp because the water is always too muddy, it's very hard to catch them with flies just blind casting. I used flies for a couple of years in a local community lake, and all I managed was a few small ones per year!. So I adapted by using the same tactics as the Euro carpers (the ones mentioned above)...pre-baiting when I first get to a spot, then using really small hair rigs baited with boiled deer corn with a yarn indicator on a couple of fly rods staked down with cut-off golf shafts (because carp run suddenly and very hard). I now catch nice fish regularly. It's not fly fishing, but it's fun. If you know that a lot of people throw bread to the ducks where you fish, bread flies and similar catch carp, but I never see that on the lake I fish.

Last edited by kaboboom; 06/23/20 12:56 AM.
Re: Finding carp [Re: MemphisBelle] #13629705 07/14/20 01:51 AM
C
CurlyTailFishing Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I know for a fact there is a decent concentration of carp under the dam area of Lake Lewisville. You can trek the area under the dam (PERFECT for fly fishing) or you can fish in the small river and find tons of carp in the slower deeper eddies along the river. If you pay a small fee you can enter into a park ($5 a car but could have changed, haven't been in almost 3 years) area called LLELA which stands for Lake Lewisville environmental learning area. Drive down the long windy road until the very end and there will be a parking lot where you can hop out and fish the dam. It is great for fly fishing for carp in the early spring and fall.

NOT my video but very informational ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWgk5a22Cqo

Good luck and keep us posted!

Give a man a fish he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend!
[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide