Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jack Plate Adjustment #13600030 06/18/20 09:43 PM
B
buggsboy Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
It’s been a long time since I tinkered with this, but I would like to adjust my jack plate for a better hole shot. Should I raise it or lower it for a better hole shot? Thanks

PB. 10 lb 12 oz
Re: Jack Plate Adjustment [Re: buggsboy] #13600058 06/18/20 10:03 PM
B
boatman025 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Call Steve at Hydro Dynamics 903-762-9907

Hughes Marine
3855 Osage Lane
Wylie ,Texas
Re: Jack Plate Adjustment [Re: buggsboy] #13600503 06/19/20 04:34 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by buggsboy
It’s been a long time since I tinkered with this, but I would like to adjust my jack plate for a better hole shot. Should I raise it or lower it for a better hole shot? Thanks

Do you not realize that question can't be addressed without first knowing WHERE the prop-shaft is now, with respect to the hull? Also, RPM running, and max operating RPM for your engine as set up now. The jackplate setback matter. Which prop (model and size) also matters, as some run better deep, some run better less deep. It could be that you have a less than ideal prop to begin with, and no jackplate adjustment is going to be able to correct that.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 06/19/20 04:37 AM.
Re: Jack Plate Adjustment [Re: buggsboy] #13600591 06/19/20 12:03 PM
T Bird Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
A good starting point is to set prop shaft 3.5" below pad of hull. Use 1/4" adjustments on jack plate until you achieve best hole shot.

[Linked Image]

Okie by birth, Texan by choice.
[Linked Image]
USAF "Thunderbirds" Alumni 1985-1989

Re: Jack Plate Adjustment [Re: buggsboy] #13600665 06/19/20 12:54 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Holeshot adjustment is either A or B..
A: You get moving and the prop cavitates and blows out. Your motor is too high and lower until the cavitation stops.
B: The motor lugs along until it finally gets enough rpms to break over and go. Your motor is too low.

Now, you're going down the wrong trail for the wrong reasons.
Your prop has vent holes (should have) that allow exhaust gas to escape and break the prop blades free enough to spool up and go.
Most of us who setup boats, with your regular fishing load, we find the optimum height for performance, set the plate there, then adjust the vents to assist with holeshot.
Here's the BIG IF...IF your prop is not running at the top end of your motors RPM range, you've got the wrong prop and no amount of adjustment will help. Get that right first, and everything else will work better from there.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Jack Plate Adjustment [Re: buggsboy] #13601253 06/19/20 08:16 PM
rebait Offline
Angler
Angler
I vote for Pat's KISS method. I've seen these discussions go on for hours, days , weeks and months on these boards. The folks that don't overthink have the most time for fishing and boating.

Re: Jack Plate Adjustment [Re: Pat Goff] #13601369 06/19/20 10:27 PM
Bruce's Online Sad
TFF Celebrity
Online Sad
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Pat Goff
A: You get moving and the prop cavitates and blows out. Your motor is too high and lower until the cavitation stops.
B: The motor lugs along until it finally gets enough rpms to break over and go. Your motor is too low.

Your prop has vent holes (should have) that allow exhaust gas to escape and break the prop blades free enough to spool up and go.
Most of us who setup boats, with your regular fishing load, we find the optimum height for performance, set the plate there, then adjust the vents to assist with holeshot.
Here's the BIG IF...IF your prop is not running at the top end of your motors RPM range, you've got the wrong prop and no amount of adjustment will help. Get that right first, and everything else will work better from there.

thumb

Bruce's Sprinkler Repair
817-798-7246
52 years experience
State Licensed Irrigation
LI0017483

Fishing Texas lakes one at a time

Re: Jack Plate Adjustment [Re: Pat Goff] #13602955 06/21/20 04:35 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S

What if the prop is a Yamaha Reliance prop without venting plugs? I ask, because that is the prop on my Yamaha F150 4-S. It used to jump out of the hole, now with extra and bigger batteries along with dual PowerPoles, it struggles a little with two guys, tourney load, and live wells full of water. The prop is a 13-3/4†19p. Rpms are close to 6500-6800 trimmed out. Top speed is 59.5 with heavy load and two grown men. 61 empty wells and just me with light fuel. Top speed is not my priority. Acceleration and handling are what I want.

Should I look at propping down to a 18p? It would help holeshot, but I’m already bumping the rev limiter from time to time.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Jack Plate Adjustment [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13602985 06/21/20 05:03 PM
T Bird Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

What if the prop is a Yamaha Reliance prop without venting plugs? I ask, because that is the prop on my Yamaha F150 4-S. It used to jump out of the hole, now with extra and bigger batteries along with dual PowerPoles, it struggles a little with two guys, tourney load, and live wells full of water. The prop is a 13-3/4†19p. Rpms are close to 6500-6800 trimmed out. Top speed is 59.5 with heavy load and two grown men. 61 empty wells and just me with light fuel. Top speed is not my priority. Acceleration and handling are what I want.

Should I look at propping down to a 18p? It would help holeshot, but I’m already bumping the rev limiter from time to time.

19 P 4 Blade

[Linked Image]

http://www.yamahapropselector.com/propSelector/web/inner.html

Last edited by T Bird; 06/21/20 05:04 PM.

Okie by birth, Texan by choice.
[Linked Image]
USAF "Thunderbirds" Alumni 1985-1989

Re: Jack Plate Adjustment [Re: buggsboy] #13603010 06/21/20 05:39 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Steez, I wonder if you're getting the odd performance you describe due to the smaller diameter you have right now. You're already at the rev limiter, so lower pitch makes that worse, and you slow down. I think that smaller prop (diameter) isn't generating the thrust you need even though the F150 seems to be able to spin it more than adequately. Does it bog down (with respect to RPM) in the holeshot, or does it sound like the revs are high because it broke loose from the "grip" on the slipstream?

Here's a prop with more diameter. (14 1/2, 3/4 inch more than your current prop) Read what Yamaha says about it:
PERFORMANCE XTâ„¢
A large, long blade design increases strength and durability. Perfect for older, heavier bass boats with jack plates or high engine mounting heights. Lower pitches ideal for pontoons, F150 and up.
Link for Yamaha Prop

Re: Jack Plate Adjustment [Re: buggsboy] #13603151 06/21/20 08:08 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Four strokes need rpms to develop horsepower. A good prop guy can add vents that help it spoil up and go. Easy modification.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Jack Plate Adjustment [Re: buggsboy] #13603249 06/21/20 10:12 PM
B
buggsboy Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Thanks for all the information. Here is my setup:

2009 Nitro Z7 18’ 8â€
Mercy 150 EFI
YAMAHA 23M PROP ( 14 1/2†dia, high lift design, NO PLUGS)
Hydrodynamics 6†Magnum jackplate
58-60 mph gps
5500-5600 rpm
3 1/2†p to p
23 psi wp

Slow hole shot. Advice needed if possible. This is just me in boat. Empty
Iive well, 1/2 tank of gas, me at 198 lbs. Thanks

Last edited by buggsboy; 06/21/20 10:13 PM. Reason: Spelling

PB. 10 lb 12 oz
Re: Jack Plate Adjustment [Re: T Bird] #13603362 06/21/20 11:38 PM
T
TomRom Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Now that is a helpful response.

Originally Posted by T Bird
A good starting point is to set prop shaft 3.5" below pad of hull. Use 1/4" adjustments on jack plate until you achieve best hole shot.

[Linked Image]

Re: Jack Plate Adjustment [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13603365 06/21/20 11:43 PM
T
TomRom Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Go on Bass Boat Central and ask your question on the prop forum. Better yet ask Mark Croxton. He designs props and designed props for Yamaha. He is a board sponsor on Bass Boat Central. marksprops.com

Last edited by TomRom; 06/21/20 11:56 PM.
Re: Jack Plate Adjustment [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13603832 06/22/20 12:55 PM
steve@S2Marine Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Send that Reliance to Josh here at Steve's Custom Props and have him drill PVS holes in the barrel. and buy a set of plugs.. problem solved. smile

www.hydrodynamics-usa.com
info@hydrodynamics-usa.com
903-763-5225
www.s2marine.com
s2marinesales@gmail.com
Blazer Boats, Gambler boats and Legend Craft Boats

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide