Forums59
Topics1,037,799
Posts13,934,688
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New to Central Texas - but not new to fishing [Re: Steve San Marcos] #13600746 06/19/20 01:42 PM
B
Bones72 Offline
Angler
Angler
B
There is plenty of fishing here to be had from both bank and boat. So many different species. I also came from Colorado. I spent ten years there after I retired from the Army at Ft. Carson. Plenty of flyfishing or ultralight fishing to be had here as well. Honestly in the summer I get away from the lakes and beat the heat by wading creeks and rivers for all kinds of fish. Really dig some of the native fish here like Guadlupe bass and Rio Grande Cichlids. I think you can find a ton of that down your way. You have the Guadalupe and the San Marcos river. I haven't fished down there since I moved back here last summer but the San Marcos was a fun river to fish.

Re: New to Central Texas - but not new to fishing [Re: Jimbo] #13601162 06/19/20 07:13 PM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
welcome Texas has great species diversity, so you don’t have to be tied to just largemouth bass. However, for many Texas anglers the largemouth bass is the only fish that exists. roflmao

Fishing below Canyon lake is the most similar area in the state to Colorado.

If you want to fully experience Texas fishing, eventually you need to head to the coast and try some saltwater fishing.

All of you equipment can be used to catch something in Texas.

You shouldn't have mentioned the coast!
If he fishes the coast he won't ever want to fish Canyon again!

Originally Posted by Jimbo
welcome Texas has great species diversity, so you don’t have to be tied to just largemouth bass. However, for many Texas anglers the largemouth bass is the only fish that exists. roflmao

Fishing below Canyon lake is the most similar area in the state to Colorado.

If you want to fully experience Texas fishing, eventually you need to head to the coast and try some saltwater fishing.

All of you equipment can be used to catch something in Texas.

You shouldn't have mentioned the coast!
If he fishes the coast he won't ever want to fish Canyon again!

It is always a risk to tell anglers about saltwater fishing, but i want to be transparent and help them have fun. bannana2

Re: New to Central Texas - but not new to fishing [Re: Steve San Marcos] #13601352 06/19/20 10:06 PM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
You really need to purchase Aaron Reed’s book, ‘Fly Fishing Austin and Central Texas’. You’d be surprised at all of the productive — and scenic — fishing destinations that are close to you. And almost all of them are open to fishing with conventional gear, if you don’t fly fish. A 7’ light action spinning rod and some 6# braid on a quality 1000 size or smaller reel will provide you with all the fun you can handle. Largemouths, smallmouths, spots, Guadalupe bass, white bass, crappie, cats, bream, carp and buffalo, rios....... all kinds of good stuff to fish for. You are in a great spot for fishing. I have caught rios in the San Gabriel river with my half weight rod 500 yards from IH-35 in downtown Georgetown, and all I could see was forest & water; all I could hear was birds twittering and water gurgling over rocks. Aaron’s book is full of such spots, and lists the access points and parking areas. I don’t get anything from sales of the book; I’m just passing on a great resource.

Re: New to Central Texas - but not new to fishing [Re: Steve San Marcos] #13601602 06/20/20 01:38 AM
butch sanders Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
fish the San Marcos River
go under I-35 & fish the curve
right there

Re: New to Central Texas - but not new to fishing [Re: Steve San Marcos] #13602429 06/21/20 01:34 AM
W
wgpj Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
You asked . Which fishing spots on that lake are recommended for non-boat fishing? So specifically on that lake the answer is there is one spot, that being the crappie dock at Cranes Mill Park, A COE park. Which at the present is closed for repairs and has been for quite some time. However there is a bit bank fishing there also, one of the few places for such on the lake. Canyon Lake is just not a good lake for non boat fishing. Some people fish the shores along boat ramps but that is not encouraged and parking on the ramps are for boaters. There is presently somewhat of a riff going on about non boaters parking at the ramps with quite a few complaints. Anyway, welcome to the lake and the rivers are probably your best bet.

Re: New to Central Texas - but not new to fishing [Re: ~Moose~] #13602490 06/21/20 03:03 AM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by ~Moose~
It is the year from purchase all water package. The description is at the link below.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/fishing-licenses-stamps-tags-packages

Nice! Learn something new every day. This is like a cheat code.... thumb

changed years back.

Re: New to Central Texas - but not new to fishing [Re: JonBoatJeremy] #13602499 06/21/20 03:17 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by JonBoatJeremy
Originally Posted by Steve San Marcos
Thanks for replies. I went online to get a TX fishing license and it said expiration was 31-Aug-2020?
I selected a freshwater fishing license $30-
Is there a diff annual pass?
thx
steve

You can get a year to date for a few extra dollars.

BUT... that "year to date" version is $7 more than the standard all-waters package. If you intend to reap the benefit you perceive you gain by not getting just a partial year, you have to keep buying that version. With it being $7 more, in six years of continuously buying a license, you exceed the total cost of going the other way - where you just bite the bullet the first time and get a license that may end in less than a year. Only if you fish sporadically and don't maintain a license all the time is that option actually less expensive. IF you don't intend to fish saltwater, then the year-long license makes even less sense as the regular freshwater license is only $30. Two years at $47 makes it $94, which is $4 more than you would pay if you simply bought the regular license for 3 cycles ($90), and covers 1 to 11 more months to boot.

For fishermen not about to turn 65 years of age who fish on a regular basis year after year, the year-from-date is never a better deal in the long run. It just looks that way at the beginning. The state is just eeking more out of you. So, the OP is better off dumping $30 one time, then he's in synchronization to get every full year for $30 after that. Math doesn't lie.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 06/21/20 03:50 AM.
Re: New to Central Texas - but not new to fishing [Re: Steve San Marcos] #13605775 06/23/20 10:16 PM
S
Steve San Marcos Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Hello - I have been trying to get a hold of the Canyon Bass club of san marcos - but no luck. Can anyone help me with a contact. I feel my texas fishing education will be best served with a club - people who can help with their advice, knowledge and perhaps friendship.
thx
steve

Re: New to Central Texas - but not new to fishing [Re: Jim Ford] #13606111 06/24/20 03:51 AM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
smile

Just one more cast!

Re: New to Central Texas - but not new to fishing [Re: Steve San Marcos] #13606775 06/24/20 07:56 PM
S
Steve San Marcos Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Jimbo- I see your reply, but the text box is empty?
thx
steve

Re: New to Central Texas - but not new to fishing [Re: Steve San Marcos] #13606858 06/24/20 08:56 PM
rebait Offline
Angler
Angler
The year to date license works great for my wife. She only fishes once a year for the most part. Same month each year July when we go on a vacation to the coast. So if she buys it the first of July in 2020 it is good until the end of July 2021. This way she can fish for 13 months and takes 11 months off, essentially getting two years of fishing for one year license cost. I know that will give you a headache but it works for us. Got to love it if you can beat the system.

Re: New to Central Texas - but not new to fishing [Re: Steve San Marcos] #13705550 09/20/20 06:15 AM
A
Amps Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
Welcome to Texas. If you’re still looking for someone to fish with IM me.

Tight lines...... Amps
Re: New to Central Texas - but not new to fishing [Re: Steve San Marcos] #13705586 09/20/20 11:02 AM
C
CDS Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Looks like everybody answered your questions already, so I just wanted to welcome you to Texas. TPWD does a great job keeping all the fishing holes stocked with fish, so I think you will enjoy fishing in Texas.

I come from the water.
Re: New to Central Texas - but not new to fishing [Re: Steve San Marcos] #13708896 09/23/20 02:12 PM
C
CarlB Offline
Angler
Angler
C
FYI Canyon lake has a reputation of being hard to fish. There are a lot more fishing places here than you would think based on how hot and flat Texas is. I've lived here about 12 years now and still finding spots. Also FYI they stock trout in many ponds and lakes in the winter.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide