Print Thread
Can't catch a fish... #13569467 05/24/20 07:55 AM
H
H. Finner Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
H
Hi guys, me and my dad have been fishing forever now and our home lake is mildly clear (2-4ft visibility) with dirt hills. We have been using our boat for a long time now and always struggle to catch anything. We always try and use lures along with our fishfinder but no matter what we use, jig, chatterbait, crankbait, soft plastic, etc. we very rarely ever catch a fish on a lure.

I also watch a ton of fishing videos on youtube including tacticalbassin and I have been learning a lot. But with it being summertime now, he always talks about shade shade shade and we don't have trees or big shaded areas we can access. I guess I'm just stuck.

Any tips on where to go or what to do?

I'd like to pick up a book or a video series for largie fishing but not sure where else to go.

Thanks!

Edit: We fish at Lake alan henry

Last edited by H. Finner; 05/24/20 09:16 AM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Can't catch a fish... [Re: H. Finner] #13569469 05/24/20 08:24 AM
O
outfishdya Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
O
Some lakes dont have any numbers, but it sounds like you have exhausted the power techniques. I would suggest so e fineness like shakey head and drop shot. Early morning top water also. Time on the water translates to developing a confidence both in yourself and your presentation.

Woke up this morning
Got yourself a gun....
Re: Can't catch a fish... [Re: H. Finner] #13569471 05/24/20 08:48 AM
barbarian Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
What is your home lake?

Re: Can't catch a fish... [Re: barbarian] #13569475 05/24/20 09:17 AM
H
H. Finner Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
H
Originally Posted by barbarian
What is your home lake?

We fish at Lake alan henry

Re: Can't catch a fish... [Re: H. Finner] #13569478 05/24/20 09:36 AM
D
Derek Stokes Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Try using your fishfinder as mainly a depthfinding tool right now and concentrate on where you fish, like points, coves, and near vegetation. If you have a crankbait, spinnerbait, and Texas rigged worm tied on (along with a topwater bait) you should be on the right track. Just keep on chunkin' and windin!

Re: Can't catch a fish... [Re: H. Finner] #13569487 05/24/20 10:17 AM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I don’t have any up to date tips for you for AH but know this: that lake can be a puzzle for most fisherman. Certain guys have unlocked the secret and catch fish regularly. Often big fish too. But most struggle. Some lakes are just easy and some are harder to pattern or figure out. Example: Lake Athens? Easy. Lake Alan Henry? Hard. We all know the fish are in AH. Over this last decade spotted bass have gotten a hold and many are able to catch numbers of them. This last year BIG fish have been making a comeback. My suggestion? With the amount of time y’all have clearly invested already in AH the best investment y’all could make would be to hire one of the lakes local guides. Go out with a REPUTABLE guide and pick his brain. Go have fun but make it an educational trip also. Don’t get caught up in how many fish you can catch simply at this moment in time. Let him educate you on the lake. Show you around with a graph, discuss different techniques, approaches and lake locations for the different seasons of the year. This is why you want to call a guide ahead of time and basically interview him. He is working for you so make sure you are going to be purchasing what you want. Make sure he is the type who is willing to take y’all out on an “instructional trip” and really teach you and not only concentrate on how many fish we can catch in at the moment. I understand several hundred dollars is a lot for many to shell out for someone to “take you fishing” but if you look at the investment y’all have already made in the lake without a good return on your investment you may be amazed at what a good investment this will be. Most guides are a blast to fish with. How good would a guided trip on AH be for a gift for your dad? wink

Re: Can't catch a fish... [Re: H. Finner] #13569544 05/24/20 12:33 PM
TajChauvin Offline
Angler
Angler
I’ve never been to this lake but if it sets up like other west Texas lakes I’ve fished I would suggest using more translucent soft plastics. A 7 inch watermelon seed worm has been really good to me finding fish on that side and I follow that up with other profiles in the same color. Certain shades of pumpkin seed that matches the lake bottom have also been good. Maybe someone can come along and confirm this for that particular lake.

Re: Can't catch a fish... [Re: H. Finner] #13569595 05/24/20 01:28 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Never fished Alan Henry
I understand the main lake is very clear with up to 10ft of visibility in the summer with the creek arms still clear, but more stained

I see there are spotted bass in AH, they will be easier to catch (more aggressive)

Get a plug knocker to retrieve snagged lures.

If it’s a windy and cloudy summer day, I’d troll/stroll a 6XD in pro blue above the thermocline where main lake points Intersect bends in the creek channel targeting spotted bass. The intersections with standing timber might be the better ones. Looking at google earth, I see a few of those (shade). I also see an area with docks/marina/boat slips on a point (shade)

If it’s sunny/no clouds drop shot 3/8 oz weight 2ft from hook to weight morning dawn or prism Shad colored 4 inch worm in the same areas and pitch a Texas rigged 1/2oz 8 inch watermelon seed worm next to timber on those same points that intersect creek channel bends.

Build your confidence catching spotted bass, then go for the large mouth (they will be where the clearest water starts to get a little more stain to it.)

Right now, shad colored topwater spooks/poppers early in the morning/evening and swimbaits after the sun comes up could be really good.

[Linked Image]
Re: Can't catch a fish... [Re: H. Finner] #13569786 05/24/20 04:54 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted by H. Finner
Originally Posted by barbarian
What is your home lake?

We fish at Lake alan henry

Learn to fish the shaky head & dropshot. Alan Henry is full of spotted bass. I was there 3 weeks ago fishing with guide Jerad Pool doing the sight fishing thing for bedding fish. That is pretty much done for this season. Jerad has gone back to Marble Falls now & won't return until next March but his father Phillip Pool is very good on AH. I have fished with Phillip too and he can help you.

Phillip Pool
806-368-7872

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide