Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Pond fishing legality? [Re: Fishing Punk] #13561463 05/17/20 05:43 PM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Fishing Punk
So i found a pond in Arlington that has no signs prohibiting fishing. It doesn't appear to be on anyone's property. I've been fishing it for around 6 months, occasionally running into other people fishing. Within the last month, a woman that lives across the street from the pond has threatened to call the cops on me. No one fishes it any more. I've pushed my luck and kept fishing hoping she is just bluffing because she doesn't like strangers in her neighborhood, but i have a tough time enjoying my time there thinking i might deal with the lawman.

My question is... there are no signs. There is no gate. The land isn't tended by anyone. It doesn't appear to be on anyone's property, and i can assure it isn't her's.

What risk, if any, am i running by fishing this pond within walking distance with an awesome bass bite?

I'm just wanting to find out if she's got ground to stand on or if she's one of the folks that us fishermen find from time to time.

I have never seen land that wasn't owned by someone. You should just go file paper work to claim it as yours

Re: Pond fishing legality? [Re: Dubee] #13561472 05/17/20 05:58 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted by Dubee
So i found a pond in Arlington that has no signs prohibiting fishing. It doesn't appear to be on anyone's property. I've been fishing it for around 6 months, occasionally running into other people fishing. Within the last month, a woman that lives across the street from the pond has threatened to call the cops on me. No one fishes it any more. I've pushed my luck and kept fishing hoping she is just bluffing because she doesn't like strangers in her neighborhood, but i have a tough time enjoying my time there thinking i might deal with the lawman.

My question is... there are no signs. There is no gate. The land isn't tended by anyone. It doesn't appear to be on anyone's property, and i can assure it isn't her's.

What risk, if any, am i running by fishing this pond within walking distance with an awesome bass bite?

I'm just wanting to find out if she's got ground to stand on or if she's one of the folks that us fishermen find from time to time.

I have never seen land that wasn't owned by someone. You should just go file paper work to claim it as yours

Plus #1. A good friend of mine who is a game warden told me that all the land in Texas is owned by someone! Either government or people. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Pond fishing legality? [Re: DLALLDER] #13561510 05/17/20 07:13 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Hop, must be some big differences in county laws. I was involved with a 5000 acre ranch for about 7 years. All the ranch manager or his appointee had to do was call the GW. NO purple paint, very little fencing, Sulphur River was North border so lots came in by boat, some left by GW's truck. Several were charged with trespassing & poaching, which in every case I was aware of stuck.

out here, sheriff is at least 45 mins. and I am still waiting on a call back from 5 calls to our gw over 6 months ago about a trespasser, the one in red shirt. this is just a couple of pictures.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

the owners have specifically asked me to act on trespass, due to the time it takes for leo to arrive I will try to run them off without confrontation. had people illegally shooting pigs, put about 5-6 rounds in a levee to let them know I was nearby and never saw them or heard another shot. and what I posted is state law, not county.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Pond fishing legality? [Re: Fishing Punk] #13561918 05/18/20 01:35 AM
O
Osbornfishing Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
The problem is that we live in a time when “interpretation” of the law can mean more than what the law says. Penalty means tax, yes means no, constitutional may mean nothing, so the best stance is to not get into compromising situations if you can help it.

Re: Pond fishing legality? [Re: Fishing Punk] #13562080 05/18/20 07:21 AM
Larry Mosby Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
It doesn't have to have posted signs in Texas for you to be charged with criminal trespassing. You need consent of the owner and county tax records at the courthouse is an easy way to determine who it belongs to.

Larry Mosby
Re: Pond fishing legality? [Re: Larry Mosby] #13562117 05/18/20 10:55 AM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
Originally Posted by Larry Mosby
It doesn't have to have posted signs in Texas for you to be charged with criminal trespassing. You need consent of the owner and county tax records at the courthouse is an easy way to determine who it belongs to.

We have ponds in our subdivisions in Frisco. You are allowed to fish any of them and they are public property. Only if the have a no fishing or HOA residents signs is where police will get involved.

Re: Pond fishing legality? [Re: Fishing Punk] #13562207 05/18/20 12:33 PM
H2O Seeker Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Tarrant Cty Appraisal District

Take the guess work out of it and search who owns it yourself. Print it out and the next time Ms. Busybody approaches you the proof will be in your pocket. If someone doe sown it other than the City of Arlington you will know that too.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Pond fishing legality? [Re: Fishing Punk] #13562275 05/18/20 01:29 PM
J
jbw3 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
It's real simple. The property is not yours and you have not obtained permission. Asking others to advise on something you already know in your heart is wrong...is also wrong. That "uneasy" feeling you're having that keeps you from enjoying yourself...is really all you need to know. Wrong is wrong even if everyone does it. Right is right even if nobody does it.

Re: Pond fishing legality? [Re: Fishing Punk] #13562291 05/18/20 01:40 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
As others said, find out who owns it and ask permission. Otherwise it's trespassing and taking fish from it is theft.

Scott Jones
Re: Pond fishing legality? [Re: Fishing Punk] #13562711 05/18/20 07:29 PM
F
FishTheBite Offline
Angler
Angler
F

Your risk is that she will follow through and call the cops. Who then will show up, and either tell the woman that the land is not posted and therefore there is nothing that they can do until the community installs signage prohibiting trespassing and or fishing. Or they will politely ask you leave and suggest that you find somewhere else to fish. I know people that would continue fishing until law enforcement actually became involved, as for myself I would probably just find another place to fish.

Almost every sub-division/development built in the last 20 years has been required to install detention ponds. And with a little time spent on Google Maps you might be surprised at how many other fishing holes are within close proximity to you. Most of them will hold fish. And you will probably not have the issue that you are currently experiencing now.

Re: Pond fishing legality? [Re: Fishing Punk] #13562879 05/18/20 10:09 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
So i found a pond in Arlington that has no signs prohibiting fishing. It doesn't appear to be on anyone's property.

It’s on “someone’s” property I promise. Even if it was the city’s its on someone’s property......just not yours. My neighbor does not have his yard fenced. It’s still his. JK....sort of. Follow my old motto: “it’s always easier to ask forgiveness than permission”! JK again....sort of.

Re: Pond fishing legality? [Re: Fishing Punk] #13563101 05/19/20 01:29 AM
Curtbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
If you research the appraisal district records, you CAN find out WHO owns it. IF you can contact them, then asking nicely, for permission would solve ANY “issues” with Nosy Rosy” that keeps whining. Then you either CAN or CANNOT fish it. You never know till you find out for sure. Offer a deal to landowner. Go pickup trash once or twice a month for them. Lots of out of town owners are more than happy to know at least SOMEONE has an eye on their property. Ask first.

ELITE POWER SYSTEMS/ Elite Fishing Products
Lithium Battery & Charging Systems, Soft Plastics, Tackle,Tokyo Rigs
Tight lines & stay safe out there.Gods blessings
Re: Pond fishing legality? [Re: Bass Junkie] #13564929 05/20/20 02:42 PM
F
Fishing Punk Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Thank you! It's listed as a neighborhood common area/park. If I'm understanding it right, it's public common area. Thank you so much for a great resource.

Re: Pond fishing legality? [Re: Bass Junkie] #13564936 05/20/20 02:46 PM
F
Fishing Punk Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Originally Posted by Bass Junkie
When in doubt check the county’s appraisal district map. Here is Tarrant County’s:

https://www.tad.org/resources/interactive-maps/

Thank you! It's listed as a neighborhood common area/park. If I'm understanding it right, it's public common area. Thank you so much for a great resource.

Re: Pond fishing legality? [Re: RATZ] #13565038 05/20/20 04:11 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by RATZ
where is this pond? I'll find out for you

yes & i can assist Ratz

good lord
just enjoy fishing
the police will not do anything
but MAYBE? tell you to leave