Forums59
Topics1,041,910
Posts14,008,701
Members144,270
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Which do you prefer for a beginer [Re: Chase Krueger] #1345983 05/29/07 02:31 AM
L
ldphillips Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Chase Krueger,
Can you please post over the next couple of weeks the pro's and con's of the pelican? Just your opinion of stability, room for gear, how well it tracks, etc..., I am going after one in a couple of weeks and just curious if it is worth it or if I should just save and get something else.
Thanks

Re: Which do you prefer for a beginer [Re: ldphillips] #1346028 05/29/07 02:56 AM
F
Fishin Boy13 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
F
thanks guys i might go with the pelican

Re: Which do you prefer for a beginer [Re: Fishin Boy13] #1346046 05/29/07 03:05 AM
T
TomE Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Chase Krueger nailed it on the head. From what i have read, that is a great yak. The pelicans are affordable, sure, but do your research! I'm tellin' ya, after the fourth or fifth wave over the bow and you will be paddling you, the yak, your gear, and 80 lbs of water in your hull. Research, research, research. www.texaskayakfisherman.com is the place to find out what will fit your needs.

Lewisvillefishing.net
Re: Which do you prefer for a beginer [Re: TomE] #1346341 05/29/07 12:43 PM
F
Fishin Boy13 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
F
ok thanks

Re: Which do you prefer for a beginer [Re: Fishin Boy13] #1347413 05/29/07 09:46 PM
H
Hard Wired Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
The popular opinion on Pelican's...From TKF

First person with the Pelican castaway I fished with I had to rescue. Second person flipped in calm conditions and lost all his gear. Third person never made it through the calm surf before he flipped. Fourth person the kayak was taken on water, and he almost sank before we could get him back to the beach.

After the second person dumping in the castaway, I decided to give it a try for myself. I took one wave over the front going out. The kayak never drained the water, the weight capicity was poor and the scuppers was to small.

The overall layout of the cockpit is poor and not refined. the seat area holds water, even in flat conditions. With my weight of 230lbs, if any water came over the front from a wave, then it would not drain and the next wave would flip me.

I consider the castaway to be the worst fishing kayaks on the market. It is what it is, a very cheap kayak for a group of people that does not want to spend much money. Only if you are fishing ponds or very protected lakes would a castaway be considered. To paddle any distance, go into the surf or fish an area with waves it is a very poor choice.

"I am starting to think kayaks are like pe^!$ extensions around here"

Think of it this way,

Pelican Castaway is the YUGO of the kayak fishing world.

Re: Which do you prefer for a beginer [Re: Hard Wired] #1348093 05/30/07 02:58 AM
H
HOTKayaks Offline
Angler
Angler
H
You really need to get out and paddle the kayaks before you buy. A lot of outfitters will let you demo boats before buying.

I don't know what you plan on doing with your kayak--bay fishing, play in the surf, stay on lakes, float rivers?

I've paddled the Speck in the Laguna Madre in 1 to 2 foot swales and it was not fun. It was a wet ride from the get-go since the seat area quickly takes on water and then doesn't drain it well. I also agree that it has a narrow seat. I'm a normal sized female and it just fit me...none of the guys I was with were comfortable in it.

The Pelican--you get what you paid for. If you plan on floating down a few rivers every now and then, it might work for you. But if you're fighting your kayak the whole time you're paddling, the trip isn't much fun.

If you're looking for a fishing kayak, I'd recommend paddling either the Wilderness Systems Tarpon, Heritage Redfish Angler, or the Liquid Logic Manta Ray. Brand new they are more expensive than the Ocean Kayaks, but they're all good quality kayaks and you can pick one up used at a decent price.

Just my two sense--I still say paddle anything and everything before picking a kayak! Good luck with the search!

Re: Which do you prefer for a beginer [Re: HOTKayaks] #1348223 05/30/07 04:06 AM
L
ldphillips Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
I never imagined it being so tough to choose a kayak, with all the different comments of good and bad on all the kayaks I am now convinced that I need to test paddle and just choose the one that feels good to me.
The one I choose will never see an ocean or bay or large river, I will only be on small local lakes and medium sized creeks fishing or just enjoying a peacefull day on the water.
In my mind I'm thinking a couple of rod holders, a small depth finder, an anchor of some type, room for tackle box and small cooler for refreshments, and staying fairly dry( I do not want to be sitting in a puddle of water all day). Oh, and stability would be nice too. My weight is 194 lbs. I also need to stay at or below about $600.00 on the kayak.
Any way to narrow the search to a couple of kayaks and would like to find one in the DFW area.
Any comments are appreciated. Thanks

Re: Which do you prefer for a beginer [Re: ldphillips] #1348906 05/30/07 04:13 PM
H
HOTKayaks Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Finding the right kayak can be an adventure but it sounds like you're approaching it the right way!

I have a 12 foot Redfish Heritage kayak with two fly rod holders (and about to have an anchor trolley added on). It's great for the Texas rivers in that it's very stable and can float through shallow waters easily. It also has enough room for a cooler in the back. It's a pretty dry ride since the seat sits a little high and scupper plugs come attached to the kayak. Heritage also makes an angler version of the Redfish which comes with 2 flush mounted rod holders, one deck mounted rod holder, an anchor, and a paddle leash. Cons of the Redfish though: it's not the best bay or large lake kayak since it's not as quick as some other kayaks.

My business, Heart of Texas Kayaks, sells the Heritage Redfish so if you're in the Temple or Austin, Texas area you're more than welcome to take one out for a test run. There are also other dealers in the San Marcos and Houston area that carry the Redfish kayaks and would let you test paddle.

The brand new price of the Heritage Redfish starts out a little over $600 (I sell for $625 for the regular 12 foot and $700 for the angler version), but you can always keep an eye out to find a used or demo Redfish for under your budget. There is a 10 foot Heritage Redfish that starts at $550 brand new, but it might be a little small. You'd just have to test paddle it to see.

The 12 foot Manta Ray and 12 foot Tarpon would also be good options. They both are great quality kayaks. I also know people that swear by the Ocean Kayak Drifter. I haven't paddled any of these kayaks as much as the Redfish though so I can't offer much help on the pros and cons. I'm sure someone else here can though!

Once again, good luck hunting for the new kayak!

Re: Which do you prefer for a beginer [Re: HOTKayaks] #1349610 05/30/07 09:17 PM
F
Fishin Boy13 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
F
i am really confused now so does anybody have a used one for sale

Re: Which do you prefer for a beginer [Re: HOTKayaks] #1349611 05/30/07 09:17 PM
C
Chase Krueger Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
the pelican is good for skinnier people. i way 150 and can stand up and fish in it. It is a pretty small kayak for someone who weighs 230 pounds. If you have good balance you'll be fine ina pelican...everyone has there own a opinion on it. for the price you cant find a better beginners kayak.

Re: Which do you prefer for a beginer [Re: Chase Krueger] #1350821 05/31/07 01:17 PM
F
Fishin Boy13 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
F
what about the ocean speck at academy would it be better than the pelican

Re: Which do you prefer for a beginer [Re: Fishin Boy13] #1351320 05/31/07 04:02 PM
H
HOTKayaks Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Yes I think the Speck is going to be a better quality kayak. You might have to buy a seat to go with the Speck though. I don't think they are always included on the Ocean Kayaks (but I could be wrong on that one).

Re: Which do you prefer for a beginer [Re: HOTKayaks] #1351551 05/31/07 05:11 PM
F
Fishin Boy13 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
F
would it be better than the pelican because i hear the pelican leaks

Re: Which do you prefer for a beginer [Re: Fishin Boy13] #1355862 06/02/07 02:50 PM
T
TomE Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I have a scrambler xt, which is exactly the same as a speck but just cost more. lol The speck is just made exclusivly for academy. They are a great beginner yak and many keep thiers after upgrading for a btb boat. It was originally built to go thru the surf. It is a wet ride, but for the price, i could deal with it at the time. I love mine, and installed a fish finder and more rod holders. It tracks decent and very stable. i've used it in the surf, behind the surf, in the flats and channels and the lake on choppy days without a worry at all.

Lewisvillefishing.net
Re: Which do you prefer for a beginer [Re: TomE] #1355964 06/02/07 04:01 PM
JDavis7873 Offline
Pink rabbit
Pink rabbit
Pelican = cheap kayak. Period. It's OK if you can't come up with the additional funds to get a better one. I had a castaway for three weeks, and got rid of it.

It doesn't track worth a [censored]. I have a perception prism with a rudder now, and I like it, but I have got the bug again. Those Malibu Pro-Explorers or X-Factors look mighty good, and the Cobra Fn'D can carry 600lbs, which means I can buy one and still have room to grow and room to buy more gear!!!

drinking pink rabbits

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide