Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Warm weather rainsuit [Re: LDP] #13523907 04/18/20 06:14 PM
S
S Fatherree Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
In my personal opinion it is much better to buy a lightweight / non insulated waterproof shell and wear layers underneath it so that you can use that same waterproof shell during the warmer months as well. This will save you some money to spend on layers if needed or other fishing gear such as a quality pair of waterproof socks.

Respectfully,

SM Fatherree
www.lakeforkguidelanes.com
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Warm weather rainsuit [Re: S Fatherree] #13524327 04/19/20 01:48 AM
RedRanger Offline
burro desagradable
burro desagradable
Originally Posted by Stephen M Fatherree
In my personal opinion it is much better to buy a lightweight / non insulated waterproof shell and wear layers underneath it so that you can use that same waterproof shell during the warmer months as well. This will save you some money to spend on layers if needed or other fishing gear such as a quality pair of waterproof socks.

Wear layers for warm weather fishing?

Reread the OP question...……….

Re: Warm weather rainsuit [Re: RedRanger] #13524483 04/19/20 05:39 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by RedRanger

I think you are misreading what he wrote RedRanger. He does talk about a larger light shell with layers underneath (implied for cold weather) but then wear that same shell (not mentioning the layers, so implied by itself) in the warmer months.

Re: Warm weather rainsuit [Re: Flippin-Out] #13524743 04/19/20 02:38 PM
Bermise Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Originally Posted by RedRanger

I think you are misreading what he wrote RedRanger. He does talk about a larger light shell with layers underneath (implied for cold weather) but then wear that same shell (not mentioning the layers, so implied by itself) in the warmer months.

The op asked for opinions on the best best warm weather light rain gear. This guy replies he thinks light weight rain gear is best, not much of an answer.

Re: Warm weather rainsuit [Re: LDP] #13524840 04/19/20 03:27 PM
S
S Fatherree Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by LDP
What's the best warm weather rain jacket. Looking to upgrade.

My apologies, I did misread the question. I was making a suggestion for a rain jacket to stay warm in, I appreciate the correction gentlemen. I can always count on you guys who are on here nearly 24/7 to paying close attention to the posts from all of us here on the TFF. Now that I'm tracking on topic I recommend any quality waterproof outer layer that has velcro straps around the wrists to minimize water from running down from your hands while fishing as well as zippers underneath the arms so that you can keep cool in very warm/wet conditions. Having quality water resistant zippered hand pockets and having a pocket on the upper chest area of your jacket will also help with storage. A jacket which has a pocket on the interior of the shell is also very nice to have. I don't like having pockets that are made of dense fabric which will easily soak up water, mesh fabric pockets seem to be the better choice as they will breathe and dry much better. Mesh pockets will allow removal of your gear from your pockets a bit easier compared to a dense fabric pattern. They are often made of cotton or polyester. If you are concerned with keeping your items in your mesh pockets dry in heavy rain a plastic zipper sandwich bag will do the job. Having a high collar on your rain jacket that will extend to just above your nose when completely zipped up is also important as it will make you much more comfortable and dry when running on pad through the rain. Also having a hood that has a strong tightening system is crucial if you want your hood to stay on and over your hat/head while navigating across the water. I like to make certain that the fit of my warm weather waterproof clothing is sized large enough to allow the same waterproof shells to be used in the colder months over warmer layers of clothing without any issues. A jacket that does not ride up too high on you when you are seated will also help keep you dry throughout the day, if you are wearing waterproof bibs rather than pants than this does not apply. Try not to pay too much attention to specific fishing brands that are geared only towards fishermen and are vastly promoted by professional touring anglers as there are many other waterproof jackets made for everything from cycling to skiing that will also provide you with a great purchase and often times at a lower price although I must admit that Bass Pro Shops does make some quality clothing for anglers and has for decades. They also have a great return policy, I hope this helps!

Respectfully,

SM Fatherree
www.lakeforkguidelanes.com
Re: Warm weather rainsuit [Re: LDP] #13524958 04/19/20 04:20 PM
Tin Star Cajun Offline
Angler
Angler
Here is my winter jacket I wear. It says "rain resistant" but I've had it in pouring rain and never got wet. My son recommended it and he lives in South Dakota. It is really warm. [img]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ch_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1[/img]

The only difference between a little girls scream and a warrior's battle cry is the direction your'e running!

[Linked Image]
Re: Warm weather rainsuit [Re: LDP] #13525166 04/19/20 06:11 PM
L
Lazy Ike Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
cheers I have cabelas space rain pants & jacket very light and will compress so small you can put in storage bag it comes with and is about softball size!!!! Think about 120. for set. Camo o course. Bought it for backcountry elk huntin.

Last edited by Lazy Ike; 04/19/20 06:13 PM. Reason: spellin
Re: Warm weather rainsuit [Re: LDP] #13525200 04/19/20 06:31 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I have the Gill inshore lite rain gear (pants and jacket) and also their heavier weight rain gear, the FG21 jacket and bibs. I like the lightweight rain gear for the warmer months and it does a pretty good job but it’s not as waterproof as the FG21. I’ve been out in really heavy rain in the FG21 and it’s kept me completely dry. I’d consider the FG21 a medium weight rain gear. I’ve been out in really heavy rain with the Gill lightweight and overall it did a great job but I did get a little wet in some areas but I don’t think I had the sleeves and neck area tightened up tight either as it was warm out. It seems well made although I haven’t used it near as much as the FG21 gear. I’d buy it again and I’ve seen it priced about half of its normal price so shop around.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: Warm weather rainsuit [Re: H2O Seeker] #13525403 04/19/20 09:36 PM
G
Greg Z Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Originally Posted by H2O Seeker
I have an older Frogg Toggs suit that is breathable and very thin. Bought it specifically for warmer weather and it has served the purpose well. I would definitely buy another. Recently I have acquired some GILL products and really like the quality. They make a warm weather suit and I think someone already mentioned it but you might look there too.

+1

Greg Ziemer
214-597-6006
Sewell Lexus
Life's short... Enjoy the ride!
Re: Warm weather rainsuit [Re: LDP] #13525718 04/20/20 01:54 AM
C
cg203 Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
C
Adidas makes a runners rain jacket that is super light and breathable. I don’t own the pants to match but am pretty sure they have those also.

Re: Warm weather rainsuit [Re: LDP] #13526563 04/20/20 05:14 PM
Gungle Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I use 10 year old Frogg Toggs, they work great.

Re: Warm weather rainsuit [Re: LDP] #13527351 04/21/20 02:14 AM
B
Bassalong Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I use some lightweight waterproof material that's a bit oversize for warm weather and layer up underneath it if it's cold.

Re: Warm weather rainsuit [Re: LDP] #13527552 04/21/20 10:03 AM
C
Charles Anderson Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
My all time favorite 3-in-1 all weather jacket

[Linked Image]

Re: Warm weather rainsuit [Re: LDP] #13528336 04/21/20 07:44 PM
bassfishinglawyer Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I have some Simms and it is nice, but the new Frogg Toggs Pilot II kicks it!

Re: Warm weather rainsuit [Re: LDP] #13530925 04/23/20 04:46 AM
5-20 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Bought this jacket about a month and half ago. Didn't plan to do it but was in REI and tried it on and it was super comfortable. It's the Westwinds GTX model and it's made out of Goretex Paclite. Really roomy and comfortable and I bought it just because I could layer with it in the fall or winter.

It's super light and thin. Packs and folds away like it's nothing. It feels great in cool weather and I think it would be pretty great for most Texas spring or summer conditions in which it just rains for 30 minutes to an hour or two at most when it's hot. You'll be perfectly fine with it. I have been out in the rain for two or three hours and stayed completely dry.

It's on sale now at REI. Down to $149 from $199. Pretty good price for a thin Goretex jacket.

https://www.rei.com/product/164200/rei-co-op-westwinds-gtx-jacket-mens

Last edited by 5-20; 04/23/20 04:47 AM.

Toads for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide