Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: First time with a cast net [Re: Rippyro] #13494270 03/30/20 04:23 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Shore fisherman get checked by the game warden on a regular basis. I saw the Game Warden at Little Elm ramp ramp Thursday checking fisherman on shore. Never been checked for net size while in the boat but rarely get stopped on my lake and never been stopped while throwing the net . Only boat checks we usually get are for safety inspections and they usually don’t mess with us fisherman on Lewisville. I been checked pretty hard up at Texoma and also up in Denton Creek on Grapevine but they were looking for no license and undersized fish. I did get my boat checked for zebra muscles by a K-9 unit 2 yrs ago at Tower Bay ramp on Lewisville. No joke! Had dogs sniffing all the boats putting in and trailering looking for zebra muscles.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: First time with a cast net [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #13494495 03/30/20 06:54 PM
R
Rippyro Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊
Shore fisherman get checked by the game warden on a regular basis. I saw the Game Warden at Little Elm ramp ramp Thursday checking fisherman on shore. Never been checked for net size while in the boat but rarely get stopped on my lake and never been stopped while throwing the net . Only boat checks we usually get are for safety inspections and they usually don’t mess with us fisherman on Lewisville. I been checked pretty hard up at Texoma and also up in Denton Creek on Grapevine but they were looking for no license and undersized fish. I did get my boat checked for zebra muscles by a K-9 unit 2 yrs ago at Tower Bay ramp on Lewisville. No joke! Had dogs sniffing all the boats putting in and trailering looking for zebra muscles.

Never heard of a k-9 sniffing for muscles. That's crazy

Re: First time with a cast net [Re: Rippyro] #13500766 04/03/20 10:42 PM
T
Treadlightly2 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I was really having trouble with my 5 footer, hadn't tossed it in a long time and just forgot how. I found a Youtube video that was similar to the way I was trying to throw it except he picked up the hem 3 times instead of 2 and that made all the difference. Today just before the cold front I went to Whisky Flats and lucked on a gold mine of 3 inch shad. I bagged 6 quarts half full and froze them. I really like fresh but if there is a day when I can't find them I'll have these.

Re: First time with a cast net [Re: Treadlightly2] #13502763 04/05/20 02:36 AM
R
Rippyro Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by Treadlightly2
I was really having trouble with my 5 footer, hadn't tossed it in a long time and just forgot how. I found a Youtube video that was similar to the way I was trying to throw it except he picked up the hem 3 times instead of 2 and that made all the difference. Today just before the cold front I went to Whisky Flats and lucked on a gold mine of 3 inch shad. I bagged 6 quarts half full and froze them. I really like fresh but if there is a day when I can't find them I'll have these.

Nice. I've since bought a 6 footer (I'm legal now) lol Tried practicing in the back yard and couldn't throw a pancake to save my life. Gonna try to soak the net a bit. It's pretty stiff and I think getting the mono to loosen up a bit will help get a better spread. I could get it in a circle, it just wasn't spreading out well. Taking some frozen shad out to little elm tomorrow. We'll see how it goes

Re: First time with a cast net [Re: Rippyro] #13503120 04/05/20 02:07 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Practice makes perfect. I don’t soak my nets. My shallow nets are stiff as a board and still pancake every time. My deep nets are much better quality and stay soft. Cast nets will open up a lot better if your strong hand grip on the net is around waist high. If your grip is too high you will have to sling it a lot harder. The net should touch the ground when you grab it at waist height. Hope this helps. There are many different techniques to throwing a Cast net so find one that your comfortable with and works best for you.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: First time with a cast net [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #13504278 04/06/20 02:16 AM
R
Rippyro Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊
Practice makes perfect. I don’t soak my nets. My shallow nets are stiff as a board and still pancake every time. My deep nets are much better quality and stay soft. Cast nets will open up a lot better if your strong hand grip on the net is around waist high. If your grip is too high you will have to sling it a lot harder. The net should touch the ground when you grab it at waist height. Hope this helps. There are many different techniques to throwing a Cast net so find one that your comfortable with and works best for you.

Worked on it some more this afternoon. Good grief it's frustrating haha I can't think of anything I've struggled with so much. Can't even tell if I'm getting better or not lol gonna maybe try some other techniques next time.

Re: First time with a cast net [Re: Rippyro] #13504433 04/06/20 10:46 AM
S
serj5150 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Let me know Bud and I will help you out next time...I should have showed you yesterday but I had fish on the brain hammer..LOL!!

Checkout my Youtube channel for tips and techniques on
crappie and catfish
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKsHpQ1vQP7HRC_sw0fXopQ?view_as=subscriber
Re: First time with a cast net [Re: serj5150] #13504860 04/06/20 03:05 PM
R
Rippyro Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by serj5150
Let me know Bud and I will help you out next time...I should have showed you yesterday but I had fish on the brain hammer..LOL!!

Haha sounds good man. I'll be practicing more this week (hopefully at the lake).

Re: First time with a cast net [Re: Rippyro] #13518339 04/15/20 02:21 AM
R
Rippyro Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Finally figured it out (mostly) lol found a technique that works for me on YouTube. Went out tonight and came back with some shad for the morning. Going to be a little elm park (lake Lewisville) bright and early.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: First time with a cast net [Re: Rippyro] #13518507 04/15/20 10:37 AM
S
serj5150 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Ha Nice Going Buddy...Hope you get on'um!!!! thumb

Checkout my Youtube channel for tips and techniques on
crappie and catfish
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKsHpQ1vQP7HRC_sw0fXopQ?view_as=subscriber
Re: First time with a cast net [Re: Rippyro] #13519620 04/15/20 09:31 PM
8upwithfishin' Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Nice bait and job. Which technique did you end up using?

Re: First time with a cast net [Re: 8upwithfishin'] #13519943 04/16/20 01:33 AM
R
Rippyro Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by 8upwithfishin'
Nice bait and job. Which technique did you end up using?

https://youtu.be/1kvubfKIHMc

Used this one. Practice a few times and had it down for the most part pretty quickly. It made a world of difference just finding the right technique for me.

Got 3 eaters today. Got them filleted and cooking them up with the family Friday. Gave the rest of the shad away at the ramp to some fellow fisherman. Hopefully they had some more luck. It was a beautiful day to be on the water.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide