texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,882
Posts13,954,768
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Alligator Gar Locations? #13514430 04/12/20 02:36 PM
T
Tyler G Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Hey guys, it’s good to be back here after a long absence. I used to post on TFF often, but took a few years off the forum. I’m back because I actually live in Central Texas now and am gearing up to catch big gator gar. Does anyone have locations they don’t mind sharing? I’m currently eyeing the Brazos and Navasota rivers, as well as the Trinity, but the more specific the better. I have a kayak coming in soon, so I’m not relegated to just the bank, but I’d also like to avoid paddling miles on end. Thanks for your help!

Re: Alligator Gar Locations? [Re: Tyler G] #13514833 04/12/20 06:35 PM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I wish I knew! I've been thinking about going after some big Gar myself - can't go wrong with deeper, slower pockets on the river. Best of luck to you man! Post up the photos when you catch 'em fish

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Alligator Gar Locations? [Re: Tyler G] #13518204 04/15/20 12:39 AM
J
jaymzinsa Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Might be a haul for you but there are lots of gator gar in both choke and lake corpus christi and in the rivers above and below the dams. The nueces above lcc is probably your best bet since it is a bigger river with deeper pools and better access. Years ago when you could access below the dam we caught absolute monster gar down there especially when water was being released. I don't know about access anymore even for a kayak but i'm sure the fish are still in there. Though its much smaller I have caught some nice 5+ footers in the frio where it runs through the state park below choke. Never fished the lakes much for gar but have seen lots of them gulp air all throughout both lakes but especially off points or the channels. There used to be a park with a lighted pier near the dam at lcc where we would see countless gar cruising under the lights. No idea if its still there but if it is that might be a spot to float a big bait under a yak. There are a few gators in the highland lakes and rivers, canyon, travis, marble falls, but it is mainly spotted and longnose. I have seen a couple when floating the llano but have only caught longnose, though getting Cooper's bbq after makes it worth it to head out there. Good luck.

Re: Alligator Gar Locations? [Re: Tyler G] #13518310 04/15/20 01:59 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
As to locations for Gator Gars, the Trinity, Brazos, and Navasota River have them. The biggest I've pulled out of the Trinity about 25 bends down from TX 21 bridge, was about 45 pounds.

But as to timing of when to fish for them, I can assist for sure. I have my Catfish Calendar over in the Catfish section. Mainly it was for YellowCats & BlueCats. However, I found that the Gator Gars run just ahead of the Yellows by a few hours. There is a "roam-feed" circuit switch in fish that triggers them to actually get out of the comfy zone & roam for food.

Anyway, use the YC days, as to when to target the Gator Gars. Currently, Lynn's Catfish Calendar is on page 2 in the catfishing section.

Good Luck!

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Alligator Gar Locations? [Re: Tyler G] #13518361 04/15/20 02:49 AM
M
MathGeek Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M

�Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?" - The Messiah
Re: Alligator Gar Locations? [Re: Tyler G] #13519465 04/15/20 07:15 PM
D
Droyhef Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Now is the time, water a little high for a kayak. Any of the public access on the trinity is good. Find you a current break and put a big piece of cut bait on the bottom

http://www.texasmegafishadventures.com
Guided rod and reel fishing trips for Alligator gar on the Trinity River as well as some other places
903-721-4296
dawson@texasmegafishadventures.com
Re: Alligator Gar Locations? [Re: Tyler G] #13521955 04/17/20 01:41 PM
T
Tyler G Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Thanks you guys. The catfish calendar is particularly interesting although it doesn't bode well for me catching these gar on most weekends, when I actually have the freedom to do so. Guess I'll have to gamble, go when I can, and hope fish

Re: Alligator Gar Locations? [Re: Tyler G] #13525135 04/19/20 05:46 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Tyler,

Just check the calendar each month for YC days on the weekends (if that is the only time you can go), as well as my listing of the PYC days. The Yellows usually commence about 11 PM to 1 AM. The Gator Gars tend to run a few hours earlier as to start time, so I would estimate 5 to 7 PM starting, as you go into a YC or PYC pattern of either 2 days or 3 days.

And sometimes there is bleedover, which can run 12 hours before & 12 hours afterwards. In my estimation, some 66% to 75% run these patterns while the other 25% to 33% run "rogue", meaning they dance to a different beat. In comparison, I liken it to having three work shifts at a company- Day Shift (which is most common), Night shift (next one as to amounts), and Graveyard Shift (much less). You will have much better volume with the Day Shift, but less with Night & Graveyard shifts combined.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Alligator Gar Locations? [Re: Tyler G] #13539530 04/29/20 09:17 PM
T
TexasRoughFishing Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
The Little Brazos River is a good spot too. I've seen some huge gator gar rolling out there while fly fishing. I personally don't own a kayak (yet), but it would be possible to launch a yak from under the hwy 21 bridge outside of college station. Just watch out for snakes!

Re: Alligator Gar Locations? [Re: TexasRoughFishing] #13540921 04/30/20 11:23 PM
T
Tyler G Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by TexasRoughFishing
The Little Brazos River is a good spot too. I've seen some huge gator gar rolling out there while fly fishing. I personally don't own a kayak (yet), but it would be possible to launch a yak from under the hwy 21 bridge outside of college station. Just watch out for snakes!

I was definitely looking at the Little Brazos more recently based on some catches I saw posted there. Glad to get some confirmation on that.

Re: Alligator Gar Locations? [Re: jaymzinsa] #13566376 05/21/20 04:32 PM
R
Riverrat9 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by jaymzinsa
Might be a haul for you but there are lots of gator gar in both choke and lake corpus christi and in the rivers above and below the dams. The nueces above lcc is probably your best bet since it is a bigger river with deeper pools and better access. Years ago when you could access below the dam we caught absolute monster gar down there especially when water was being released. I don't know about access anymore even for a kayak but i'm sure the fish are still in there. Though its much smaller I have caught some nice 5+ footers in the frio where it runs through the state park below choke. Never fished the lakes much for gar but have seen lots of them gulp air all throughout both lakes but especially off points or the channels. There used to be a park with a lighted pier near the dam at lcc where we would see countless gar cruising under the lights. No idea if its still there but if it is that might be a spot to float a big bait under a yak. There are a few gators in the highland lakes and rivers, canyon, travis, marble falls, but it is mainly spotted and longnose. I have seen a couple when floating the llano but have only caught longnose, though getting Cooper's bbq after makes it worth it to head out there. Good luck.

Trinity is best IMO but harder to fish. Less launches, no places to stay, water moving too fast, stumps etc..

I own the Nueces River Retreat above lake Corpus (on AirBnB) but you need to hit it right after a big rain when the waters moving..Or drive down closer to the lake. If hit right you can catch a lot of BIG gar. We caught 10-12 between 40 and 200#'s one week. See pictures here.
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732125&highlight=gar

Also don't bother with Travis etc..if you want big gar. Maybe below Austin on the Colorado (maybe)

PB flathead 34.5 lbs - I know it's small but it was still the record for Lake Travis when I caught it!
PB Blue 58.5 lbs jugline 43.5 lbs on R&R which was the other Lake Travis record when caught.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide