Page 1 of 2 1 2
Results of Covid Question #13517611 04/14/20 06:22 PM
S
Shoe Dave Online Content OP
Outdoorsman
OP Online Content
Outdoorsman
S
Sunday afternoon I asked for people to respond if they knew some that has Covid. This was not a scientifc study, just .
an anecdotal poll.

There were 1,272 views of the post.

There were 9 confirmed cases of someone actually knowing a person that has or had Covid. That means .7% (7 tenths of one percent) knew someone that is Covid positive.

No one reported a fatality.

Not bad odds.

Re: Results of Covid Question [Re: Shoe Dave] #13517618 04/14/20 06:26 PM
K
krthomas2 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
Good to know, thank you

Re: Results of Covid Question [Re: Shoe Dave] #13517639 04/14/20 06:35 PM
B
big mike Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I call it a PLANdemic.

Re: Results of Covid Question [Re: Shoe Dave] #13517677 04/14/20 06:48 PM
Greg W Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
In Texas there are 14,000 cases and 29M people so that's a .05% of people that are positive. So your number is probably pretty accurate on people that know someone.

Now the problem is we are still on an exponential growth pattern in the US. A month ago we had 51 cases in Texas. Now we have 14K. That's 274x growth in a month. If we stayed on this growth pattern, we'd have 3.8M in another month. Now we can and will curb exponential growth, but don't let numbers mean too much until you start to flatten an exponential growth curve. Also when we put out 51 cases a month ago we really had several hundred or more. We just were barely starting to test so I doubt that 274x growth is accurate. It's less than that probably more like 100x. But still it's easy to see if we don't flatten the curve we'll be in 100s of thousands or more in a month. So numbers early in an exponential growth curve are almost irrelevant as the growth is so fast. What matters is how quickly you can flatten that curve. The scientist that have been harping this are doing it for a reason. Pandemics get out of control fast if you don't do something to stop them.

I'm no expert but I was a microbiology major and studied these situations some in college. Been 35 years but the math hasn't changed.

Re: Results of Covid Question [Re: Shoe Dave] #13517680 04/14/20 06:49 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Shoe Dave
Sunday afternoon I asked for people to respond if they knew some that has Covid. This was not a scientifc study, just .
an anecdotal poll.

There were 9 confirmed cases of someone actually knowing a person that has or had Covid. That means .7% (7 tenths of one percent) knew someone that is Covid positive.

Not bad odds.

Not surprising, Texas is 48th out of 50 states in terms of the lowest testing per capita. Unless you have strong connections to one of the regional hot spots (NYC) statistically it would be very unlikely to know many infected folks.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Results of Covid Question [Re: Greg W] #13517704 04/14/20 06:58 PM
D
Darin Y Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Well put Greg, you know Iā€™m sure I speak for other veterans out there but after being confined to a 10x10 room for a year and living in an environment under hostile condition, having to hang out at the house with all there is to offer for a months is not bad guys.

Darin Yowell
06 Skeeter ZX200
US Army 86-Present
www.TRCcovers.com
Re: Results of Covid Question [Re: Shoe Dave] #13517705 04/14/20 06:58 PM
T
tx_basser Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Partly because you have to be on your deathbed and get admitted to a hospital so you can get tested or have symptoms that match perfectly in order to qualify.

I would talk more about the run around my son got, when we are pretty sure he got COVID and the hospital/Dr's told him there is nothing they can do for him.

Re: Results of Covid Question [Re: Shoe Dave] #13517713 04/14/20 07:03 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
an anecdotal poll.

Not bad odds.

While the odds are low - they are especially low for this test group (those who frequent TFF), so the poll results are biased as well. Most of us, myself included, do not live in inner city Houston or DFW, nor are we in nursing homes. The lifestyle that most of us lead is nothing like what the hot-spot residents have, and that further lowers our risk.

If you had a poll that used test subjects equally representing each county by per-capita population, your results would have been far different. The poll results are anecdotal because of the test group flaws.

Re: Results of Covid Question [Re: Flippin-Out] #13517721 04/14/20 07:06 PM
RedRanger Offline
burro desagradable
burro desagradable
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
an anecdotal poll.

Not bad odds.

While the odds are low - they are especially low for this test group (those who frequent TFF), so the poll results are biased as well. Most of us, myself included, do not live in inner city Houston or DFW, nor are we in nursing homes. The lifestyle that most of us lead is nothing like what the hot-spot residents have, and that further lowers our risk.

If you had a poll that used test subjects equally representing each county by per-capita population, your results would have been far different. The poll results are anecdotal because of the test group flaws.

I would say the inner core of the TFF is DFW based since it was started in the DFW area, so yes many inner city and many DFW area.

Re: Results of Covid Question [Re: Greg W] #13517738 04/14/20 07:16 PM
S
Outdoorsman
OP Online Content
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by Greg W
In Texas there are 14,000 cases and 29M people so that's a .05% of people that are positive. So your number is probably pretty accurate on people that know someone.

Now the problem is we are still on an exponential growth pattern in the US. A month ago we had 51 cases in Texas. Now we have 14K. That's 274x growth in a month. If we stayed on this growth pattern, we'd have 3.8M in another month. Now we can and will curb exponential growth, but don't let numbers mean too much until you start to flatten an exponential growth curve. Also when we put out 51 cases a month ago we really had several hundred or more. We just were barely starting to test so I doubt that 274x growth is accurate. It's less than that probably more like 100x. But still it's easy to see if we don't flatten the curve we'll be in 100s of thousands or more in a month. So numbers early in an exponential growth curve are almost irrelevant as the growth is so fast. What matters is how quickly you can flatten that curve. The scientist that have been harping this are doing it for a reason. Pandemics get out of control fast if you don't do something to stop them.

I'm no expert but I was a microbiology major and stpositudied these situations some in college. Been 35 years but the math hasn't changed.

Your growth curve is interesting but may be an inaccurate representation of the numbers. What you call a growth curve is actually a reporting of the ability to test for Covid. Going from 51 cases in Texas to 14K is an increase, but you can't call it growth curve. As the ability to test for Covid became easier, and more available, the reported number of cases increased. However, that information does not indicate the growth curve.

Re: Results of Covid Question [Re: Flippin-Out] #13517747 04/14/20 07:22 PM
S
Outdoorsman
OP Online Content
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
an anecdotal poll.

Not bad odds.

As I said, in the original post, this was not a scientific study. Just an anecdotal poll. Thanks for restating the obvious:)

Re: Results of Covid Question [Re: Shoe Dave] #13517771 04/14/20 07:40 PM
J
Javelin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I know 2 people with it

Re: Results of Covid Question [Re: Shoe Dave] #13517782 04/14/20 07:49 PM
Greg W Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Greg W

I'm no expert but I was a microbiology major and stpositudied these situations some in college. Been 35 years but the math hasn't changed.

Your growth curve is interesting but may be an inaccurate representation of the numbers. What you call a growth curve is actually a reporting of the ability to test for Covid. Going from 51 cases in Texas to 14K is an increase, but you can't call it growth curve. As the ability to test for Covid became easier, and more available, the reported number of cases increased. However, that information does not indicate the growth curve.

I addressed the testing increase in my original post. Why I said the 274x growth curve was too high. But we are on an exponential growth curve. No scientist is arguing that. Here's the Texas growth as of today. That is a classic exponential growth line and it looks like it's just starting to flatten a bit in the last few days. Also when looking at this graph each horizontal bar is 10x the last. If it was straight 1-1 you couldn't get that on a chart, but it would be a pure hockey stick growth line.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Greg W; 04/14/20 07:51 PM.
Re: Results of Covid Question [Re: Shoe Dave] #13517807 04/14/20 08:03 PM
L
lurenthewind Offline
Angler
Angler
L
I don't fear this disease for myself even though I am 73. I don't have any real health problems. However, my wife, who is 76 is at very high risk and probably would not survive. She's had asthma all her life, cancer once, quadruple bypass TWICE and now has dimentia.

Needless to say, I have not left the house much in the last month or so. Food is being brought in so about the only time I go anywhere is to pick up prescription meds at Costco, and I would rather have a beating than go there right now.

Hopefully it will get better soon. This is getting to be a real drag. I haven't had my boat out since January. I just installed a new prop and a Helix 10 Mega and haven't even gotten to use it.

Wayne

Luck will beat skill any time you have enough of it!
Re: Results of Covid Question [Re: Shoe Dave] #13517830 04/14/20 08:19 PM
J
JCG57 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide