Forums59
Topics1,039,820
Posts13,970,761
Members144,220
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What stocks are y’all buying during all of this? [Re: Stump jumper] #13481564 03/21/20 03:35 PM
T
the skipper Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Stump jumper
What do you all think of these Congress folks that sold on info they had prior to being released to the public? I think they should donate their gains to the treasury to help fund relief. That or tar and feather them.

From what I heard if they are in blind trust they wont have anything to worry about but if not they should do jail time.

Re: What stocks are y’all buying during all of this? [Re: Stump jumper] #13481620 03/21/20 04:21 PM
S
Snakeyes711 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Congress folks that sold on info they had prior to being released to the public?

There will have to be an investigation to prove they had info that wasn't yet available to the public. I'll reserve judgement until the investigation is over.

Re: What stocks are y’all buying during all of this? [Re: Snakeyes711] #13481641 03/21/20 04:42 PM
Dognot Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Snakeyes711
Congress folks that sold on info they had prior to being released to the public?

There will have to be an investigation to prove they had info that wasn't yet available to the public. I'll reserve judgement until the investigation is over.

I bet this story just goes away.

Sometimes what didn't work out for you, did in fact, work out for you.

Haters going to hate and believers are going to believe.

Every man has two lives,The second one starts when he realizes that he has only one.

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”
Re: What stocks are y’all buying during all of this? [Re: TTT Ranch] #13481655 03/21/20 04:52 PM
S
silvers Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Looking at Oxy but going to wait a week or two

call it what you will...he is not definitely not anywhere near the top of the list for QB's that I would choose needing a FG or touchdown drive late in the game.
Re: What stocks are y’all buying during all of this? [Re: Dognot] #13481697 03/21/20 05:53 PM
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Dognot
Originally Posted by Snakeyes711

I bet this story just goes away.

I agree. Whether they are guilty or not.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: What stocks are y’all buying during all of this? [Re: TTT Ranch] #13481722 03/21/20 06:23 PM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
If you have a few bucks to speculate. Look at USDP it's an MLP with 37% yield at the moment.

Again... this is speculation for "play money" not a primary investment strategy. It's ok to do these types of investment with 1% to 5% of the overall portfolio. The rest of my investment decisions are made by my money manager... I let the smart people invest the 99% to 95%.

Re: What stocks are y’all buying during all of this? [Re: TTT Ranch] #13481731 03/21/20 06:35 PM
donothin Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
How much will the market have to recover before we can realistic expect that we are in recovery? We still have to go through the earnings reports which I guess will look awful. The job market will need to recover and people back at work. I suppose the fundamentals will have to get back right. Oil prices will need to recover. We will need to start buying things other than TP again. It is a mess.

Re: What stocks are y’all buying during all of this? [Re: TTT Ranch] #13481807 03/21/20 08:00 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Some market sectors will recover faster than others
Changes like this revolutionize the consumer spending patterns

The recovery will be a process
When we have widespread testing there will be improvement
When number of new cases significantly drops, there will be improvement
When restaurants open again, there will be improvement
When people are getting hired again there will be improvement

Judging from recent history, it took 5.5 years to reach pre Oct 2007 peaks
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: What stocks are y’all buying during all of this? [Re: donothin] #13481975 03/21/20 10:33 PM
S
Snakeyes711 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by donothin
How much will the market have to recover before we can realistic expect that we are in recovery? We still have to go through the earnings reports which I guess will look awful. The job market will need to recover and people back at work. I suppose the fundamentals will have to get back right. Oil prices will need to recover. We will need to start buying things other than TP again. It is a mess.

Personally I'm going to need 12 market days(not calendar days) for confirmation the bottom is in. No re-test of that 18,900 on the DOW. Even then I predict a slow,choppy grind upward. All rallies will probably get sold into. The economy has been so devastated I just don't see the V shaped recovery some are predicting.There's an old cliché that says "the market takes the stairs going up but takes the window going down".

Re: What stocks are y’all buying during all of this? [Re: Mike@972] #13482243 03/22/20 01:53 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by Mike@972
If you have a few bucks to speculate. Look at USDP it's an MLP with 37% yield at the moment.

Again... this is speculation for "play money" not a primary investment strategy. It's ok to do these types of investment with 1% to 5% of the overall portfolio. The rest of my investment decisions are made by my money manager... I let the smart people invest the 99% to 95%.

Most of the time the "smart/paid" money managers do a decent job. My gains in the recovery run were awesome. But, I was watching as mine let it fall for weeks when I said uncle and took over again. I did a full jettison to cash and have, even at this point in this tumble, saved 20%+ in portfolio valuation had it been largely parked the way they had it. I think we're nowhere done, and the economy will be vastly different in the aftermath. In my case, I think I saved the baby and most of the bathwater, so I'll decide what to try when it settles and we begin to see signs of recovery. For now, near 0% gains looks a lot more enticing than weekly 10% drops.

Re: What stocks are y’all buying during all of this? [Re: TTT Ranch] #13482439 03/22/20 05:09 AM
B
Bassman_78 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Depends

Re: What stocks are y’all buying during all of this? [Re: Flippin-Out] #13482445 03/22/20 05:28 AM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

Most of the time the "smart/paid" money managers do a decent job. My gains in the recovery run were awesome. But, I was watching as mine let it fall for weeks when I said uncle and took over again. I did a full jettison to cash and have, even at this point in this tumble, saved 20%+ in portfolio valuation had it been largely parked the way they had it. I think we're nowhere done, and the economy will be vastly different in the aftermath. In my case, I think I saved the baby and most of the bathwater, so I'll decide what to try when it settles and we begin to see signs of recovery. For now, near 0% gains looks a lot more enticing than weekly 10% drops.

I hear ya. I did the same thing in 2008, but all and all I think it cost me because I reinvested too late into the recovery. I like my new guy a lot. He started selling early this year and only had me 35% to 40% invested pre crash and limited my equity loss to 18% when the S&P fell 30%. Net net, I'm still up from when I started using him about 3 years ago.

We are now starting a slow roll with investing the 60%. He will ramp it up once we get a better feel for where this might bottom out. At the moment, I feel good about where I'll be in 3 to 5 years... However, only time will tell!

Re: What stocks are y’all buying during all of this? [Re: Flippin-Out] #13482780 03/22/20 04:24 PM
T
the skipper Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T

Smart, I should have took the reins but i just watched it fall lol. I still have time to recover but dang I expect him to do something. I get it, "look at the long term, in for the long haul" but this could have made that haul much shorter had he pulled our stuff out, years shorter. That doesnt sit well with me

Re: What stocks are y’all buying during all of this? [Re: TTT Ranch] #13482827 03/22/20 04:55 PM
donothin Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
It is surprising to see all of the geniuses who know exactly what they would do if they had any money to invest. Doesn't sound as though they have done so well to this point.

Re: What stocks are y’all buying during all of this? [Re: the skipper] #13482835 03/22/20 05:01 PM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted by the skipper

Smart, I should have took the reins but i just watched it fall lol. I still have time to recover but dang I expect him to do something. I get it, "look at the long term, in for the long haul" but this could have made that haul much shorter had he pulled our stuff out, years shorter. That doesnt sit well with me

I agree. I war against my money manager all the time. It drives both of us a little crazy (in a good way) but I feel we are both better for it. I urged him to sell many times over the past 5 years and he advised me to be patient. All and all, he was right and I was wrong. Last year alone the equity portion of my portfolio was up 29%. Had I demanded for him to sell, I would have missed out big. He was reading the data and I was reacting to the historical precedent that a recession "should" occur any day.

As I grow older and have more experience in the market, I am starting to agree that timing the market is a fool's game. I tried to do this in 2008 and for a few years thereafter and it cost me pretty big. However, in my soul, I continue to feel that one should time the "season". Meaning, I think there is a logical season to sell and logical season to buy. My manger does not war against this, but we sometimes differ on the right season. Again, he knows how to read the data much better than I do. He does a good job walking me through it and helping me to understand.

As to timing the market... I recently read a detailed article that said if you were out of the market on the 10 highest moving days, your returns would be cut by 70%. If you were out on the 20 highest producing days, your returns slipped negative. The chart showed the highest days... most of them were in volatile times where it was tough to be in the market.

So, this is where my manager and I find common... I gave him "permission" to sell late last year and he felt that it was not a crazy thing to do. I still trusted him to advise. When his data started to signal "sell" early this year, he sold my portfolio more than others because he knows how I feel. He is now saying "slow buy"... but he is buying even more slowly in my account because he knows how I feel.

It's hard for me to trust other people to invest my money. Especially since I am self-employed and I do not have a pension to rely upon... my investments are my only pathway to retirement. However, I am learning to trust with caution... the same way my clients trust me to advise in commercial lease transactions.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide