Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Controversial thread [Re: mark bourassa] #13465370 03/09/20 03:54 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Pretty exciting watching bass chase a live perch in post spawn when the big females setup around perch beds. Maybe the easiest way to catch an 8+ other than sight fishing, which it's closely related.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Controversial thread [Re: mark bourassa] #13465396 03/09/20 04:08 PM
L
LakeForkGroupie Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
I think about fishing with live bait all time, but I feel I can cover more water with artificial than live. And I never feel I am fishing in the right spot, so I am always moving. If you got the patience for live bait and can pick the right place to put it, you can catch a SAL. I don't and hope to catch a SAL on a giant piece of plastic.

Re: Controversial thread [Re: mark bourassa] #13465402 03/09/20 04:12 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
If someone else wants to use live bait to catch a giant largemouth, have at it. Its not for me.

Still trying to break the double digits on a largemouth and I personally would not want that first fish to be on live bait.

Fished Alan Henry a few weeks ago right up to dark. Was a pretty afternoon and my buddy asked to troll back to the ramp. Started trolling 6xds and about 5 minutes in my rod doubles over. I thought I was snagged in a tree, so slammed the boat in reverse, picked up the rod and nope it was a fish. Had a lot of line out and fought it for 15-20 minutes with a few short runs mixed in. Reminded me of the 38 lb blue cat I caught last year in Louisiana.

The entire time I was fighting that fish, I kept saying, please don't be a bass. The crank bait pulled out when it got under the boat. Never did see the fish. Came to the surface about 20 yards behind the boat at one time, but never could tell what it was. I was actually a little relieved.

I knew if it was a bass, it was over 10 lbs. I'd rather go the rest of my life and not catch a 10 lber, than to catch one using any method not allowed in most tournaments.

But that's just me.

How others choose to fish, or what they choose to count as a "catch" is purely up to them.

Re: Controversial thread [Re: mark bourassa] #13465462 03/09/20 04:57 PM
B
BThomas Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
I remember in the very early days of Fork. I think it was in Glade. Boats would be tied off to trees in a long row, everyone of them fishing dawgs. I thought at that time and still do that is not my cup of tea.

Re: Controversial thread [Re: mark bourassa] #13465567 03/09/20 05:43 PM
P
Pintail711 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
I watched a guy a fork a few years ago absolutely stroke fish every other cast on big shiners in front of the golf course. He was having a good time. I’ll sore lip em on live bait in heart beat. Guides on Lake Okeechobee fish big shiners below balloons all the time.

Re: Controversial thread [Re: mark bourassa] #13465758 03/09/20 09:00 PM
B
basscaster46 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by mark bourassa
Water dogs / Live bait for Bass fishing.
Let me start out by saying that I have used them and have caught a lot of fish on them.
I have never gut hooked our killed a Bass by fishing this way. I catch them and reales like everyone else does.
In my experience, it greatly increases your chances of catching quality fish.
In the past I have been criticized on this forum for fishing this way. I say to each it’s own.
I catch them take a quick pic and release. In my 40 years of fishing I can count on both hands the total amount of Bass
I have gut hooked and had to take home to eat. I do 99% of my fishing artificial lures, Just like to use live bait during the spring to catch a lunker. Some people think that live baits cheapens the catch.... Maybe coming from the people
With 3 graphs the size of TVs on their boat and the ones who put out corn feeders, then kill deer...
Just my thoughts....

I know several trophy hunters from the past that used them on Monticello and Fairfield.
They work their walls were full of trophy’s not replicas. I will say only a few came on dawgs most on large plastics and jigs . Either way you have to be patient and be in the right area.
J D

Last edited by basscaster46; 03/09/20 09:07 PM.

I got all day I’m retired
Re: Controversial thread [Re: fishnfireman] #13465783 03/09/20 09:23 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by fishnfireman
Originally Posted by RedRanger
Biggest bass in Texas came off a minnow.

I still contend that a crappie ate that minnow and was eaten by the state record bass. banana

My FOAL had an 8" crappie in her mouth along with a black/blue jig and craw worm. She was gluttonous.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Controversial thread [Re: sprigsss] #13465788 03/09/20 09:30 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted by sprigsss
If someone else wants to use live bait to catch a giant largemouth, have at it. Its not for me.

Still trying to break the double digits on a largemouth and I personally would not want that first fish to be on live bait.

Fished Alan Henry a few weeks ago right up to dark. Was a pretty afternoon and my buddy asked to troll back to the ramp. Started trolling 6xds and about 5 minutes in my rod doubles over. I thought I was snagged in a tree, so slammed the boat in reverse, picked up the rod and nope it was a fish. Had a lot of line out and fought it for 15-20 minutes with a few short runs mixed in. Reminded me of the 38 lb blue cat I caught last year in Louisiana.

The entire time I was fighting that fish, I kept saying, please don't be a bass. The crank bait pulled out when it got under the boat. Never did see the fish. Came to the surface about 20 yards behind the boat at one time, but never could tell what it was. I was actually a little relieved.

I knew if it was a bass, it was over 10 lbs. I'd rather go the rest of my life and not catch a 10 lber, than to catch one using any method not allowed in most tournaments.

But that's just me.

How others choose to fish, or what they choose to count as a "catch" is purely up to them.

If you fought a fish for 15-20 minutes I guarantee you it wasn't a bass....

Re: Controversial thread [Re: mark bourassa] #13465795 03/09/20 09:42 PM
C
Chug-bug-bang1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
There’s a guide on fork who made a name for himself using live bait, much success I believe too.

Hey pull my finger 👉🏻💨
Re: Controversial thread [Re: mark bourassa] #13465796 03/09/20 09:42 PM
M
Monty Wright Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
M
I think I read where the 14# caught at Lake Conroe a few weeks ago was caught on live perch while fishing for catfish

Daiwa biased

Half Past First Cast
^^^Worth a look^^^
Re: Controversial thread [Re: mark bourassa] #13465800 03/09/20 09:51 PM
Larry Mosby Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
On highly pressured waters I’d say you have a much greater chance of catching a DD bass using water dogs or large shiners.

Larry Mosby
Re: Controversial thread [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13465807 03/09/20 10:00 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
Originally Posted by sprigsss

But that's just me.

If you fought a fish for 15-20 minutes I guarantee you it wasn't a bass....

I caught an 8 pounder off a bed Saturday with a 6lb line drop shot and medium light rod. It only took 2 minutes to have her in the boat.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Controversial thread [Re: mark bourassa] #13465882 03/09/20 11:30 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
It seemed like 15-20 mins at the time, but I will admit likely exaggerated. I should have put for what seemed like 15-20 mins. Was hoping it was a catfish while fighting it, but regardless if it was a bass, I’m glad it got off. It didn’t peel line for very long like big catfish Ive caught before. Just a few short runs, which didn’t make me think big gar either. Wasn’t using 6 lb line, but with 12 lb line wasn’t trying to horse her in either. Most of the time it was like reeling in dead weight with a ton of line out. Had most of what a Revo winch will hold in 12 lb invisix. Trolling is a great way to target offshore spots if you just want to catch fish, but just not my cup of tea. Will do it occasionally for stripers on P.K.

Re: Controversial thread [Re: basscaster46] #13465883 03/09/20 11:30 PM
P
Pintail711 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Originally Posted by basscaster46
Originally Posted by mark bourassa
Water dogs / Live bait for Bass fishing.
Let me start out by saying that I have used them and have caught a lot of fish on them.
I have never gut hooked our killed a Bass by fishing this way. I catch them and reales like everyone else does.
In my experience, it greatly increases your chances of catching quality fish.
In the past I have been criticized on this forum for fishing this way. I say to each it’s own.
I catch them take a quick pic and release. In my 40 years of fishing I can count on both hands the total amount of Bass
I have gut hooked and had to take home to eat. I do 99% of my fishing artificial lures, Just like to use live bait during the spring to catch a lunker. Some people think that live baits cheapens the catch.... Maybe coming from the people
With 3 graphs the size of TVs on their boat and the ones who put out corn feeders, then kill deer...
Just my thoughts....

I know several trophy hunters from the past that used them on Monticello and Fairfield.
They work their walls were full of trophy’s not replicas. I will say only a few came on dawgs most on large plastics and jigs . Either way you have to be patient and be in the right area.
J D

First time I ever fished with water dogs was on Monticello about 20 years ago. You’d get your [censored] tore up if you weren’t fishing with at least 20lb big game.

Re: Controversial thread [Re: mark bourassa] #13465926 03/10/20 12:13 AM
bassnman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
You can do what you want as long as its legal. Artificial only for me.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide