Print Thread
Lake Conroe Log #1 #13425243 02/03/20 03:12 PM
C
camtheguitarman Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
C
Got a late start Sunday morning and hit the lake about 9. It was a great morning, the lake was glass, slight breeze out of the south. The first thing I became aware of was how small my kayak really is. I'm in a magellan version of a Tarpon 100, really not an ideal yak for this body of water and my particular cove of Lake Conroe. While this was more of a exploratory trip, I still managed to sink a line a few times. No bites, but I attribute that to the kind of tackle I was using (texas rigged worms in black, Whopper plopper in monkey butt, and 1/4 oz. crank bait in a crawfish pattern). I noticed that the northern part of this cove is extremely shallow, anywhere from 4' to 8" at times, very little vegetation, and some stumps. Around 10:30 the lake started to become pretty choppy and I headed for a little more protected waters. I'll be returning soon, hopefully with the correct tackle, but I'm convinced I'm going to have to breakdown and buy a more stable yak, or perhaps even a bass tracker-esque boat to be very successful. Over all good trip though. I'll continue to post my findings and hopefully my catches.

Attached Files lake 1.PNGLake 2.PNG
Re: Lake Conroe Log #1 [Re: camtheguitarman] #13425907 02/04/20 12:27 AM
Y
Yakety_Yak Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Originally Posted by camtheguitarman
Got a late start Sunday morning and hit the lake about 9. It was a great morning, the lake was glass, slight breeze out of the south. The first thing I became aware of was how small my kayak really is. I'm in a magellan version of a Tarpon 100, really not an ideal yak for this body of water and my particular cove of Lake Conroe. While this was more of a exploratory trip, I still managed to sink a line a few times. No bites, but I attribute that to the kind of tackle I was using (texas rigged worms in black, Whopper plopper in monkey butt, and 1/4 oz. crank bait in a crawfish pattern). I noticed that the northern part of this cove is extremely shallow, anywhere from 4' to 8" at times, very little vegetation, and some stumps. Around 10:30 the lake started to become pretty choppy and I headed for a little more protected waters. I'll be returning soon, hopefully with the correct tackle, but I'm convinced I'm going to have to breakdown and buy a more stable yak, or perhaps even a bass tracker-esque boat to be very successful. Over all good trip though. I'll continue to post my findings and hopefully my catches.

Hey, nothing wrong with getting out and exploring to learn the territory. I fish Conroe and I should be hitting it up this weekend. If interested, or if you just want to chat about fishing, hit me up.

Blake (aka: Yakety_Yak)
832-588-7091

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide