Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,039,342
Posts13,963,162
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
I'm planning a first time RockPort trip, AKA (I NEED HELP) #1340333 05/25/07 03:43 PM
D
duffygould Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Hey everyone, first time post right here!!!!

I'm headed to RockPort for my honeymoon. (I know what your thinking..."Rockport, she's gonna be pissed!") Nope she's not. Boss is letting us stay there for free for about a week, so when she heard that it was free, "YES! WE'RE GOIN!!!!" she said.

Anyways, I've never been to RockPort before, and I'm gonna fish there as much of that week as she will let me. Heres a link to the area of where we are staying so you can get an idea of the water we will be right on. click here for map So if anyone can help, we (yes WE, we're getting her a surf rod combo since she doesn't have a saltwater combo.) would greatly apreciate any info, location tips, bait tips, lure tips, anything. And to note we will be on shore, jetty, peir and maybe a little wadding. Unless anyone knows of a good cheap boat rental.

Thanks for any tips yall can provide. This would be our very first saltwater fishing for the both of us. We can't wait to go and can't wait to hear from yall.

-duffygould-

-duffygould-
Re: I'm planning a first time RockPort trip, AKA (I NEED HELP) [Re: duffygould] #1340905 05/25/07 08:04 PM
J
J PECK Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
If your looking to do some pier fishing try the pier next to the bridge when you come in. With al that money your saving on a hotel you could take a guided trip or rent a boat. Try Jubilee Guide service he has boat rentals, kayak rentals and guided trips. My girlfriends, cousin Danny is the capt. good luck

Re: I'm planning a first time RockPort trip, AKA (I NEED HELP) [Re: J PECK] #1341741 05/26/07 06:06 AM
F
Fish Wrangler Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Yes, I would definitely look into getting a guide like tookey said since it's your first time to go.

Although I haven't done it much since I've got a boat, look into renting kayaks. A lot of people are really able to get around in them. Not only that but, at Rockport, there are reasonably good fishing spots in the area such as the Estes flats which are right across from the Palm Harbor boat ramp.

Other than fishing out of yaks, you can wade on shell in an area right off to your left as you leave the bridge to enter Rockport. Lighted piers on Aransas Bay can be money at times too. Or if you can drive a little, along the road to Port A there is the intercoastal canal channel which I have had luck in early. Most importantly though, wherever you fish, try to make sure you are protected from the wind and to fish early in the morning and late in the afternoon. The wind stirs up the water where the fish can't see your bait and the beginning and end of days are best for feeding activity.

Make sure you go with live bait this time and buy round buckets that can be put in the water. You will definitely get a lot more bites although they may not be the best quality of fish. I prefer shrimp or croakers.

One last thing, for places to eat, go to this place that is _______ Fayes. Im blanking on the first part of the name right now although I think it might be Alice. Ask any local and they should know what you mean. Its along the Fulton Beach. As for breakfast, you MUST one day stop by the Rockport Bakery. I've know that place sense its infancy and it has mighty fine apple fritters and donuts. Anyway good luck fishing and have a blessed marriage!

Re: I'm planning a first time RockPort trip, AKA (I NEED HELP) [Re: Fish Wrangler] #1342280 05/26/07 07:17 PM
C
cabsav Offline
Angler
Angler
C
yeah, alice fayes, good food-breakfast thru dinner- excellent bar- friendly folks. you might try slowride kayak and guide service in aransas pass. he will put you on fish, but i would use bass tackle instead of surf rigs.

so much water, so little time
Re: I'm planning a first time RockPort trip, AKA (I NEED HELP) [Re: cabsav] #1342425 05/26/07 09:26 PM
T
The Jimmster Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Pier Fishing:
Fulton Pier
Copano Bay Pier
You might want to spend a day in Port Aransas (maybe a 30 minute drive from Rockport). If you do, try the Horace Caldwell Pier or maybe the Jetty.

Since Rockport is a favorite destination for my family and I know the area farily well, I can recommend the following restaurants:
Charlotte Plummers
Big Fisherman
Who Dats
Macs Bar-b-que
Los Comales (www.loscomalesrockport.com)

Have Fun.

Re: I'm planning a first time RockPort trip, AKA (I NEED HELP) [Re: The Jimmster] #1343848 05/27/07 08:52 PM
D
duffygould Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Well thanks for all the tips so far, everything has been helpful. but a couple more questions for you pros and well anyone thats fished more than me.

for rod and reel this is what ive got ( my combo ) and i have just a little bit of bass tackle, mainly just plastics. I know that my combo is a bit much for the all around combo, but i'm mostly fishing for catfish at Calaveras lake in San Antonio so I wanted some power there. So my question now is what else do i need (tackle and a smaller combo for both of us) as for combos im looking pretty cheap (like less than $30) and probably spinning us both and maybe baitcast for me. BassPro just released these online ( new combo ) but its labled as freshwater... being new to the sport I need a little wisdom here. I hear that most rod and reels nowadays can handle both fresh and salt, is that true? and this new combo has a graphite body so does that mean its ok for saltwater?

in other words I need help more than yall think and i wanna fish, better yet we both wanna fish and yet we dont have loads of money to do it. what suggestions for lure/bait do you have and what suggestions for rod/reels do yall have? thanks again for any info yall can give us.

-duffygould-
Re: I'm planning a first time RockPort trip, AKA (I NEED HELP) [Re: duffygould] #1346438 05/29/07 01:47 PM
P
PlainShank Offline
Angler
Angler
P
freshwater gear will work in saltwater very good just be sure you wash down your gear after every trip the salt will kill your gear if left in. Just a good fresh water rinse down will do wonders.

Coors Light Please!!!!!!!!
Re: I'm planning a first time RockPort trip, AKA (I NEED HELP) [Re: PlainShank] #1346954 05/29/07 06:19 PM
D
duffygould Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
thanks Daugh20, needed to hear that since freashwater is what i ended up buying us.

-duffygould-
Re: I'm planning a first time RockPort trip, AKA (I NEED HELP) [Re: The Jimmster] #1347229 05/29/07 08:27 PM
G
GDOGG Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I second the Big Fisherman, you will not leave hungry. Just thinking of that place makes me want to get packing and head to Rockport.

Re: I'm planning a first time RockPort trip, AKA (I NEED HELP) [Re: GDOGG] #1347270 05/29/07 08:51 PM
S
scott01 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Nothing wrong with a honeymoon in Rockport, that's where my wife and i went 21 years ago! In fact, we're headed back in a couple of weeks (we try t make the trip once per year). You received lots of good advice on places to eat but don't forget about The Boiling Pot if you a spicy shrimp boil. The jetties in Port A are always worth a try too but the most important thing there there is to fish the outgoing and incoming tides.

Re: I'm planning a first time RockPort trip, AKA (I NEED HELP) [Re: scott01] #1347349 05/29/07 09:19 PM
Q
Quacktastic Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Q
I go down all the time and never miss a trip to the Boiling Pot....A little spicy and pricey but worth it nonetheless.

As for Rockport Bakery, I didn't care for the donuts but they may have changed their recipe or something since I last had them. I'd be willing to give them another try based on Fish Wranglers review.

Whataburger is always good.

Don't forget POP'S!! Pop's Place has a great burger and all you can eat fish on Friday(I think Fri)

Might try taking the Ferry boat across to the North Jetty or rent a kayak and paddle to Estes Flats.

Quack Quack Boom!
Re: I'm planning a first time RockPort trip, AKA (I NEED HELP) [Re: scott01] #1348302 05/30/07 06:07 AM
C
c r u z i o n Offline
Angler
Angler
C
NoNONonOnOno no. Don't use graphite reels in saltwater. Academy has the new pinnacle solene and an american rodsmiths rod combo for $49.95 at the mo. That will do you good. Glass fibre rods are really soft. They have some specials on spinning combos if you've not used baitcasters b4. Just go cheap, as salt grinds down spinners pretty quick, unless you get good stuff. And I 2nd the advice on washing them down afterwards. Also helps to spray a bit of reel magic on them too, to keep them smooth (it's like wd40 for reels!)

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
Re: I'm planning a first time RockPort trip, AKA (I NEED HELP) [Re: c r u z i o n] #1348598 05/30/07 01:32 PM
G
Gus Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Always stopped at the Big Fishermen to eat before the ride back home, never again. At the end of our vacation last year we pulled in at high noon, people coming and going. Ate lunch and walked out to the truck to find everything we had but the truck stolen. We were parked in the first space as you pull in the parking lot, sheriffs car was 4 spaces over. Come to find out it is a very regular occurence there and the Big Fishermen does nothing to stop it, cameras would be nice. The investigator told me the only camera on the property is watching the loading dock to keep the employees from taking things home. He had numerous stories he told me of incidents at the Big Fishermen while he was he was finger printing my truck. There is not one window that faces the parking lot in that restaurant. The jerks that did this even stole my son's toys, he was 5 at the time. He asked me later if the bad guys had taken his toys because they had kids at home without any, kid was looking for something good out of the whole mess.

"Arms in the hands of the citizens may be used at individual discretion for the defense of the country, the overthrow of tyranny or private self-defense." � John Adams

�Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.�

Credited to Benjamin Franklin, 1759
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide