Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The term share lunker [Re: slim 285] #13416291 01/26/20 01:03 AM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by slim 285
Has Tpwd watered down the term Share lunker . Seems like that was a term for fish over 13 lbs and now just a good fish is called that.

You’re exactly right. The program began with the idea to “share” the lunker genetics with the state by loaning your 13+ lb fish for breeding with the premise that all Florida bass are not created equal and the individual genetics of that fish mattered. It’s still a point of contention that has no clear cut answer. There are great arguments for and against but nevertheless.... that’s where the “share” came from.

If you catch a sub 13 pounder, you aren’t sharing anything except maybe your photo on social media. Did we water down the term? Absolutely.

Just the rantings of an old curmudgeon.
wink

[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: The term share lunker [Re: slim 285] #13416384 01/26/20 03:03 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Just another reason for people to keep a fish out of the water for a measurement and a pic.

Re: The term share lunker [Re: slim 285] #13416392 01/26/20 03:18 AM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Lunkers are in the eyes of the beholder.... king

Re: The term share lunker [Re: hopalong] #13416415 01/26/20 03:38 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted by hopalong
what's a lunker?

8# and over works for me, DD is just that much better.

I think the way it is now will help fisheries if people just send the scales in. if you kept it at only 13+ you don't end up with the data that allowing 8# and up will give. I think it will help with stockings etc. over the long run. jmo

Plus #1. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: The term share lunker [Re: JIM SR.] #13416429 01/26/20 03:48 AM
slim 285 Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by JIM SR.
Lunkers are in the eyes of the beholder.... king

Ribbons for everybody ?

Re: The term share lunker [Re: Jpurdue] #13416536 01/26/20 12:37 PM
L
LA Ron Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
Everybody knows a true sharelunker is 13lbs+. That said, ShareLunker is just the name of a program designed to help to improve the states fisheries. Adding "classes" to that program has nothing to do with everyone getting a participation trophy. It has to do with the state being super interested in as much data as they can get their hands on in regards to big fish. Hence they've made a couple different classes to encourage people to flood them with data. It's a business exchange. You take 3 minutes and give them some details on a fish over 8lbs, and they will send you a shoe box package with about 15 bucks worth of fishing related items in it. Win/Win.

So stop complaining it's a participation trophy or watering down of the terms. It's the state trying to make our fisheries better with a few different classes of fish to get more data. Lunker (8lbs +), Elite (10lbs +), Legend (13lbs +). Oh by the way, if you don't want to help the fisheries in the state get better, you don't have to participate!

Well said thumb

Re: The term share lunker [Re: LA Ron] #13416562 01/26/20 01:25 PM
R
Rube G. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted by LaRon
Everybody knows a true sharelunker is 13lbs+. That said, ShareLunker is just the name of a program designed to help to improve the states fisheries. Adding "classes" to that program has nothing to do with everyone getting a participation trophy. It has to do with the state being super interested in as much data as they can get their hands on in regards to big fish. Hence they've made a couple different classes to encourage people to flood them with data. It's a business exchange. You take 3 minutes and give them some details on a fish over 8lbs, and they will send you a shoe box package with about 15 bucks worth of fishing related items in it. Win/Win.

So stop complaining it's a participation trophy or watering down of the terms. It's the state trying to make our fisheries better with a few different classes of fish to get more data. Lunker (8lbs +), Elite (10lbs +), Legend (13lbs +). Oh by the way, if you don't want to help the fisheries in the state get better, you don't have to participate!

Well said thumb

Agreed, Well said...

Re: The term share lunker [Re: slim 285] #13416566 01/26/20 01:35 PM
Larry Mosby Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I noticed a certain individual posting he’d caught his fourth ShareLunker for the year just a couple months after the new format started. This left many with feeling that the term had definitely been watered down for some. An 8 pounder is still an 8 but submitting it along with the catch data can be valuable to TPWD. To us old school Sharelunker hunters it’s always going to be a 13+ that gets our attention.

I’m old school and caught my first real Sharelunker February 28 2017. A true Sharelunker would still have to be over 13 lbs and donated during the spawning window of the program. The Lunker has to spawn and share some of her fry to truly qualify for this title to me. However I am a open minded person just enough to realize that collecting catch data on bass 8 lbs and larger will help TPWD in their research. I know I’d love to have access to the data they’ve collected since the new era started.[Linked Image]

Last edited by Larry Mosby; 01/26/20 01:43 PM.

Larry Mosby
Re: The term share lunker [Re: slim 285] #13416596 01/26/20 02:02 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J

Originally Posted by Larry Mosby
I noticed a certain individual posting he’d caught his fourth ShareLunker for the year just a couple months after the new format started. This left many with feeling that the term had definitely been watered down for some. An 8 pounder is still an 8 but submitting it along with the catch data can be valuable to TPWD. To us old school Sharelunker hunters it’s always going to be a 13+ that gets our attention.

I’m old school and caught my first real Sharelunker February 28 2017. A true Sharelunker would still have to be over 13 lbs and donated during the spawning window of the program. The Lunker has to spawn and share some of her fry to truly qualify for this title to me. However I am a open minded person just enough to realize that collecting catch data on bass 8 lbs and larger will help TPWD in their research. I know I’d love to have access to the data they’ve collected since the new era started.[Linked Image]

Very well said Larry. Kyle who works in the program told me they do plan to make that information public in the near future.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: The term share lunker [Re: JacksonBean] #13416601 01/26/20 02:08 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by JacksonBean

If you catch a sub 13 pounder, you aren’t sharing anything except maybe your photo on social media. Did we water down the term? Absolutely.

wink

That's not true. You are sharing information about where, when, and on what the fish was caught. Furthermore, they also ask they you send in scale samples. All this information combined makes an incredibly powerful data set to know which lakes are producing the largest fish and whether or not those large fish have ShareLunker DNA. In addition to all the really cool things we can learn about big bass behavior, we will also ultimately learn whether the ShareLunker program is truly spreading the superior genetics we all hope it is.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: The term share lunker [Re: slim 285] #13416617 01/26/20 02:19 PM
O
over the hill @PK Offline
Angler
Angler
O
Its not so watered down it just gives a guy or gal a chance to say I made it .However its still the 13# mark you want .This is a sport like most others "No matter how great you were today ,you always want better tomorrow. LOL thats why we keep spending all that $ going

Butch Farmer
Re: The term share lunker [Re: slim 285] #13416624 01/26/20 02:25 PM
O
over the hill @PK Offline
Angler
Angler
O
I guess I should have turned in the 9# er I got 3 weeks ago .However I have caught a 13 and a 12 just seemed a let down.

Butch Farmer
Re: The term share lunker [Re: Jpurdue] #13416751 01/26/20 05:20 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by JacksonBean

wink

That's not true. You are sharing information about where, when, and on what the fish was caught. Furthermore, they also ask they you send in scale samples. All this information combined makes an incredibly powerful data set to know which lakes are producing the largest fish and whether or not those large fish have ShareLunker DNA. In addition to all the really cool things we can learn about big bass behavior, we will also ultimately learn whether the ShareLunker program is truly spreading the superior genetics we all hope it is.

The term is now perverted. “Sharing” the data has zero to do with the design of the program and hence, the name.

Saying that I caught three more ShareLunkers is just clickbait. It’s great to add the data points for the bigger fish but it should be called a Lunker, an interesting number or just about anything else other that the term created in the mid 80’s to signify a 13 pounder that meets the given criteria.

[Linked Image]
Re: The term share lunker [Re: slim 285] #13430084 02/07/20 02:09 AM
C
CubbyObrien Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
this thread is funny

Go home at the end of your shift, no matter the cost!
Re: The term share lunker [Re: Jpurdue] #13430241 02/07/20 04:28 AM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

cheers

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide