Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Inflatable Life Vest [Re: befuddled] #13413796 01/23/20 02:33 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I found that after a while, I'd say 10 years, that the kits to replace cartridges are not available. So when you buy one also buy the replacement cartridge at the same time.

I've been wearing them for 25 years and many years ago had one go off on the back of my pickup. Nothing like that in the last 15 years though.

About 18 years ago I fell in and did inflate the one I was wearing. And it worked!

I wear it all day long in all weather. It is for MY safety.

Last edited by Bruce Allen; 01/23/20 02:34 PM.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Inflatable Life Vest [Re: befuddled] #13413885 01/23/20 03:23 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Look for a type 2, not a type 3 IMO. Type 2 are better at turning your head up and are made for being in water longer than type 3.

Re: Inflatable Life Vest [Re: befuddled] #13414514 01/24/20 12:38 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Are you aware there is periodic maintenance involved with self inflating vests?
What about past product recalls?
What will you do when you are on a trip and you discover your jacket had inflated since last time in boat or accidentally goes of on you?
There are non inflating life jackets which do not restrict movement and are not hot in the summer that always float you.
Check out the NSR Chinook for one. A gold standard in the kayak fishing world.

Re: Inflatable Life Vest [Re: Ocelot] #13414573 01/24/20 01:39 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Ocelot
What will you do when you are on a trip and you discover your jacket had inflated since last time in boat or accidentally goes of on you?
There are non inflating life jackets which do not restrict movement and are not hot in the summer that always float you.

Well....those circumstances that you are talking about are a non issue, since an inflatable life jacket is only legal when you have a non-inflatable on board as well. One non-inflatable for each inflatable. If you blow up blew up, get the old jacket out and carry on. cheers

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Inflatable Life Vest [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13414983 01/24/20 03:03 PM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Well....those circumstances that you are talking about are a non issue, since an inflatable life jacket is only legal when you have a non-inflatable on board as well. One non-inflatable for each inflatable. If you blow up blew up, get the old jacket out and carry on. cheers

Its supposed to be that an inflatable only counts as a PFD if being worn. I have been checked and didnot have a 1 to 1 ratio abd not one word was said about it. I was wearing it the couple of times I was stopped and checked.

Re: Inflatable Life Vest [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13414998 01/24/20 03:17 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco

like mark said, they have to be on you to count, mine never comes off when I am on the boat. all you need besides the inflatable is your throw cushion, not a 1 for 1 with non inflatables.

Re: Inflatable Life Vest [Re: hopalong] #13415212 01/24/20 07:29 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by hopalong

like mark said, they have to be on you to count, mine never comes off when I am on the boat. all you need besides the inflatable is your throw cushion, not a 1 for 1 with non inflatables.

Guess I was misinformed. Thanks for clearing it up.
cheers

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Inflatable Life Vest [Re: befuddled] #13415344 01/24/20 09:41 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Sounds like you have a good backup plan and safety is your primary concern.
Just wanted to make sure you are safe.

Re: Inflatable Life Vest [Re: befuddled] #13415356 01/24/20 09:56 PM
M
Mean Mouth Lures Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
I work for an agency that issues a very popular inflatable vest to it's employees. When the vests were three years old we did a training event where we jumped in a pool with the inflatables on. Out of 128 vests that went into the water three did not inflate automatically. We also had two people go into the water in a boating accident wearing inflatable vests. One inflated as it should the other did not inflate automatically or manual. The boat they were in had probably twenty orange horse collar vests in it but the boat was upside down. Luckily neither person was injured and was able to get back to the boat until rescued.
I choose to wear a good type III pfd. They always work as designed.

Hobby Fisherman
Re: Inflatable Life Vest [Re: befuddled] #13415408 01/24/20 10:52 PM
M
mfd219 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
In 2005 I barrel rolled a boat. Had the self inflating style on. The jacket did inflate, but down around my waist after hitting the water a 60 mph. I only wear the vest type after that.

Re: Inflatable Life Vest [Re: hopalong] #13415423 01/24/20 11:06 PM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted by hopalong

There are some that are truly Type II and Type III, not just the "Type V with Type III performance when worn". Those models count even if you only wear it when the motor is running...

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Inflatable Life Vest [Re: befuddled] #13415465 01/25/20 12:14 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Mean Mouth Lures and mfd 219,
Thanks for mentioning incidents you were directly related to. These have a bigger impact than 3rd party reports, mentioning maintenance and recalls.
It also removes any hint of "you did not research this enough" which is not how I hope my comments come across.
Hopefully all our efforts will make a difference.

Re: Inflatable Life Vest [Re: Hair Jig] #13426222 02/04/20 05:52 AM
T
Tanner101 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by Hair Jig
Originally Posted by Tanner101

I've read of accidental openings also. Common theme is they're left in a boat or car. I always take mine in the house and hang in a closet so it's not exposed to moisture. No problems yet. Wear it always.

That's the reason for the "H.I.T." system. It operates so that water PRESSURE opens it ...... not water PRESENCE.

I get that, but for 2 things.
1. Mustang wasn't a comfortable fit.
2. HIT models run $200-240, vs the $90 for the Onyx. So IF it self deploys sometime in its lifetime, I'll deal with it for the $20 recharge kit.

Last edited by Tanner101; 02/04/20 05:58 AM.
Re: Inflatable Life Vest [Re: Mean Mouth Lures] #13426223 02/04/20 05:57 AM
T
Tanner101 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by Mean Mouth Lures
I work for an agency that issues a very popular inflatable vest to it's employees. When the vests were three years old we did a training event where we jumped in a pool with the inflatables on. Out of 128 vests that went into the water three did not inflate automatically. We also had two people go into the water in a boating accident wearing inflatable vests. One inflated as it should the other did not inflate automatically or manual. The boat they were in had probably twenty orange horse collar vests in it but the boat was upside down. Luckily neither person was injured and was able to get back to the boat until rescued.
I choose to wear a good type III pfd. They always work as designed.

This would be helpful info if you would disclose which PDF your company uses.

Re: Inflatable Life Vest [Re: befuddled] #13426313 02/04/20 01:21 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Everybody should read the little packet attached to all life jackets. It explains the type classifications, length of time before rescue, and if they will turn you over when unconscious. Type 3, whether inflatable or regular isnt designed to turn you face up or keep you afloat for very long. Type 2 is more apt to turn you face up and keep you afloat longer, and type 3 will nearly always turn you up and is designed for offshore or rough water and to keep you afloat a long time. Most aren't going to wear a type 3, think the big orange ones. At least get a type 2 no matter what style. I have a regular and an inflatable.

Last edited by the skipper; 02/05/20 04:18 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide