Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Guides fishing ??? [Re: DBFishing83] #13380641 12/23/19 05:06 AM
D
Dr JL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I agree with communication as the biggest key. It’s that simple really. Some of us forget that inexperienced clients often just need to be shown how to fish and guides have to fish to show them. Good guides know how to help all different kinds of customers. It’s a tough job for sure.
Also, once you find a guide you like, stick with em. My guide is now my friend so if he fishes and catches a big fish then I’m just as excited for him as if I caught it. Makes the trips more meaningful and worthwhile because it’s fishing with my buddy rather than someone I don’t know.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Guides fishing ??? [Re: Big C] #13380732 12/23/19 01:14 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Big C
Since we have some guides replying to this thread, let's hear it from y'alls side. What makes for a nightmare CLIENT? Pet peeves. etc?

I always ask my guides about the worst clients they've ever had. It'll give me some insight on pet peeves of the guide and also makes for some great conversation. On of my favorite stories I've ever heard is that a guide had a husband and wife out on the boat... Wife tells the husband she has to "go" but is too embarrassed to say anything to the guide. Husband eventually goes up and tells the guide his wife has to pee. (They were off shore walleye fishing on Green Bay early season). Guide says, no problem have her squat and go in the live well. Wife goes in the live well, the gents move to the front of the boat to give her privacy... the group catches a bunch of fish, great trip. Later that day the guide is back home cleaning the boat and opens the live well and see's some giant "floaters" in there. Apparently the wires got crossed on what "go" meant. roflmao

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Guides fishing ??? [Re: DBFishing83] #13380917 12/23/19 04:33 PM
Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A guide can be a hero to some and a zero to many or vice versa!

The biggest connection between a guide and his clients is talking before the trip. Questions are always welcome and it let’s us know what you are wanting to get out of the trip.

Believe it or not that guide is wanting to make you have the best day possible I promise you! Just read this thread on how many were once guides or tried it. It’s tough, I tell people it’s good when it’s good and bad when it’s bad. We aren’t in it for the money, the long hours, wear and tear on the body, away from home all for what......? To see the smile on yalls face and to hear man o enjoyed my day.

Licensed Lake Fork Guide
972-979-4163 cell
www.lakeforkoutfitterszachhughes.com
zachhughesbass@gmail.com

www.mistertwister.com
www.dobynsrods.com
Skeeter Boats/Yamaha Outboards
Re: Guides fishing ??? [Re: DBFishing83] #13380937 12/23/19 04:58 PM
Sinkey Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Online Content
Tidy Scoop
In my opinion a good guide will fish til fish are found and biting, then lay his rod down and let clients go to whacking on them. Like some have said above, bass are a fish you have to figure out from day to day. But once figured out, all the guides I'm friends with and know will drop that rod and let their clients go to work on them. And that's how it should be.

I've always believed you can tell a good guide by his pics. If its his clients holding big fish, that's how it should be. If the pics are always the guide holding big fish, then he's front ending his clients.

Re: Guides fishing ??? [Re: Ken A.] #13380949 12/23/19 05:19 PM
HARD WORKN HAROLD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Ken A.
I would fish until one of us caught a fish then set my rod down and help my clients land fish, re-rig their setup, pick backlashes for them, etc. After they caught several fish I would try a different bait to see if something else would work. They might be catching them on a big crank bait. I would throw a big jig around the edges of the sweet spot.

I would rarely ever throw the same bait my clients were catching fish on on any given spot. I was always looking for something within the pattern that would work.

Also if I pulled up on a spot that I knew had a high probability for a big fish I would always instruct my client to throw in there several times before me. That’s my opinion of what a good guide does. That is why most days one of my clients had the biggest fish of the day.

thumb

DON'T LET THE CLOTHES FOOL YA
Life is too short to fish with a dead cricket!
PB: wife of 40 years
Re: Guides fishing ??? [Re: DBFishing83] #13380973 12/23/19 06:11 PM
B
Bass_Fanatic Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I guide on Toledo and Rayburn, but I have found more of a niche rather than catching fish. Some guys want to go catch fish and have fun and if that’s the case, I always try and let them catch them. But the vast majority of my trips involve me being in my clients boat, setting up their electronics, and teaching them how to locate fish. When we find fish on them and they are able to see them we may stop and catch a few just to build confidence in offshore fishing. Most have never caught fish deeper than 5’. I fish to help teach deep water techniques and allow my client to see how I work a bait and see fish caught. Of course, I’d rather my client catch more and bigger fish, but many times it’s more of a learning experience rather than about who catches what. The key is to discuss expectations before heading out.

Josh Sikes
Bent Rods Guide Service
Re: Guides fishing ??? [Re: Jpurdue] #13381023 12/23/19 07:23 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
Originally Posted by Big C
Since we have some guides replying to this thread, let's hear it from y'alls side. What makes for a nightmare CLIENT? Pet peeves. etc?

I always ask my guides about the worst clients they've ever had. It'll give me some insight on pet peeves of the guide and also makes for some great conversation. On of my favorite stories I've ever heard is that a guide had a husband and wife out on the boat... Wife tells the husband she has to "go" but is too embarrassed to say anything to the guide. Husband eventually goes up and tells the guide his wife has to pee. (They were off shore walleye fishing on Green Bay early season). Guide says, no problem have her squat and go in the live well. Wife goes in the live well, the gents move to the front of the boat to give her privacy... the group catches a bunch of fish, great trip. Later that day the guide is back home cleaning the boat and opens the live well and see's some giant "floaters" in there. Apparently the wires got crossed on what "go" meant. roflmao

OMG lol_2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide