Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fishing - Labral Shoulder Tear Recovery #13375712 12/18/19 02:17 AM
LostHubbardFisherman Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Was fishing in 30 mph winds several weeks ago and my ant-theft device on my Ultrex came unscrewed and the trolling motor decided to go swimming. In the process of rescuing the Ultrex in the waves I suffered a shoulder labral tear.

Wanted to see if anyone has had this shoulder issue and the recovery time before you could fish again after surgery?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Fishing - Labral Shoulder Tear Recovery [Re: LostHubbardFisherman] #13375718 12/18/19 02:26 AM
BassKarma Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
The surgery is worse then the injury. I highly recommend stem cells as an alternate option. After two surgeries on the same surgery I wish I would have just left it alone.

Re: Fishing - Labral Shoulder Tear Recovery [Re: BassKarma] #13375721 12/18/19 02:31 AM
LostHubbardFisherman Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Thanks BassKarma for the recommendation, will definitely check that out.

Re: Fishing - Labral Shoulder Tear Recovery [Re: LostHubbardFisherman] #13375739 12/18/19 02:58 AM
1oldbassguy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I had a 2/3 tear of my rotator cuff tendon , the Doctor highly recommended surgery --- in fact he made it sound like it would be the only way to get back to " normal " .
I opted for waiting for the inflammation to subside and then did an 8 week physical rehab ( twice a week for 60 minutes ) .
The rehab wasn't easy , but after , I could do anything with that arm and never had anymore pain .
I have a family member that is a surgery Dr , he ALWAYS tells me , only do surgery in it's the only option , a last resort .
Good luck , hope you can recover quickly.

Re: Fishing - Labral Shoulder Tear Recovery [Re: LostHubbardFisherman] #13375806 12/18/19 04:09 AM
T
tejasbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I have fished with a torn labrum for the past two years. I've learned to tuck my elbow to my side and I can cast as far and accurate as ever. The only thing I really can't do is play golf. Some would say I never could anyway. I saw my doctor a few months ago and he asked how the shoulder was doing. I said it was fine, just did some PT. He said great, but you still have a torn labrum. I just shrugged and said OK. I'm sure every injury is different. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Re: Fishing - Labral Shoulder Tear Recovery [Re: LostHubbardFisherman] #13375895 12/18/19 12:56 PM
O
old bob Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
I had Dr Steven Burkhart at the San Antonia Ortho. Clinic do both of my shoulders for tears and other damage and have had great results. The months of physical therapy was tough but both of my shoulders work almost as good as before the injury.
The therapy alone may help but at some point you will likely have to have the tears repaired.
RD

Re: Fishing - Labral Shoulder Tear Recovery [Re: LostHubbardFisherman] #13375911 12/18/19 01:10 PM
H2O Seeker Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by LostHubbardFisherman
Was fishing in 30 mph winds several weeks ago and my ant-theft device on my Ultrex came unscrewed and the trolling motor decided to go swimming. In the process of rescuing the Ultrex in the waves I suffered a shoulder labral tear.

Wanted to see if anyone has had this shoulder issue and the recovery time before you could fish again after surgery?

Many factors to consider here which can determine options and impact the outcome.
What is your age?
Working or retired?
Right handed/Left handed?
Location? Where do you live and where do you want medical treament?
Has there been an MRI done to confirm there is a tear? OR is it speculation from the initial assessment?

Last edited by H2O Seeker; 12/18/19 04:28 PM.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Fishing - Labral Shoulder Tear Recovery [Re: LostHubbardFisherman] #13375932 12/18/19 01:35 PM
L
Lee Finlay Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Not a tear, but I shattered my left humerus and glenoid three years ago. Took 13 screws and a plate to put it back together.

Four months rehab to get basic range of motion back. Several more months to rebuild strength.

I had to switch to left hand reels because I couldn't get a good hookset. Took a while to get used to.

Re: Fishing - Labral Shoulder Tear Recovery [Re: tejasbass] #13375985 12/18/19 02:09 PM
T
tejasbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by tejasbass
I have fished with a torn labrum for the past two years. I've learned to tuck my elbow to my side and I can cast as far and accurate as ever. The only thing I really can't do is play golf. Some would say I never could anyway. I saw my doctor a few months ago and he asked how the shoulder was doing. I said it was fine, just did some PT. He said great, but you still have a torn labrum. I just shrugged and said OK. I'm sure every injury is different. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

By the way, my primary said I needed surgery. The orthopedic surgeon didn't seem too concerned. He said based on my activity level (including fishing), PT might do the trick. Did the PT and determined surgery wouldn't change much. Another note, I suffered through months of pain before I went to the doctor so most of the inflammation had gone down.

Re: Fishing - Labral Shoulder Tear Recovery [Re: LostHubbardFisherman] #13375991 12/18/19 02:14 PM
P
Polly Gosh Lizard Offline
Angler
Angler
P
I've had surgery on both shoulders and after 3-4 days of pain, the recovery wasn't bad at all(for me). PT was tough to start with but got better as it went along. I did have shots in the shoulders for a year before having surgery but it just delayed what needed to have done. Be sure and do what the doctors say for the recovery, a friend of mine had to have 3 surgeries because he didn't follow their advice and didn't take the PT. Hope yours works out for you.

Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Bobby

Re: Fishing - Labral Shoulder Tear Recovery [Re: LostHubbardFisherman] #13376034 12/18/19 02:46 PM
RandyD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
IF you haven't confirmed a tear, you might consider that. I assumed I had a tear, I went to my Chiropractor for my regular back adjustment and he did some checking,... does not believe there is a tear,... he's been doing adjustments on my shoulders and upper back... Shoulder is feeling much better...

Require a whole lot of luck...

Re: Fishing - Labral Shoulder Tear Recovery [Re: LostHubbardFisherman] #13376071 12/18/19 03:10 PM
B
Bryan O' Offline
Angler
Angler
B
A few years back, I injured mine, and tried the 'just let it heal' method. No luck. I could cast, but a good hook-set like with the sweep with a c-rig was impossible. Not a doctor, or even close, but as it was explained to me, the tendon of the bicep runs over the area of the tear in my rotator cuff. It was described as 'frayed' and had to be re-attached (cut, bone drilled and tendon attached, or something like that...) Said while he was in there he removed some bercitus, and bone build-up from a broken collar bone injury years earlier.

The recovery was tough. Therapy was long and painful, but you've GOT to do it for the surgery to be successful. It was really 9 months before I had complete movement and strength, but 5 years later, it feels great. I lift 3~4 times a week, with no pain. Go check to be sure it is indeed torn, and not just strained. IF it's indeed torn, surgery is probably the best route. However, if it's just strained, you may be able to get by with healing and therapy. I was completely convinced that my other shoulder was the same, but an MRI said otherwise. A cort. shot, and some therapy fixed it right up. Find out clearly what the injury is, then do accordingly.

Bryan O'
Total Recreation Products Inc.
Commercial Park and Playground Products and Services
totalrecreation.net
Ranger Z521c 250ProXS V8
Re: Fishing - Labral Shoulder Tear Recovery [Re: LostHubbardFisherman] #13376576 12/18/19 09:24 PM
J
jhadaway117 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
If i were you i'd look at physical therapy before surgery. I tore mine last January snowboarding. My doc recommended that i try therapy before i went under the knife. 8 weeks of pt followed by at home workouts to strengthen the muscles around the injury. I'm now back to fishing and playing golf! The only down side is the fact that i don't have the full range of motion i once had. I'm 36 by the way and had no business being on a snowboard.....but you only live once!

Re: Fishing - Labral Shoulder Tear Recovery [Re: LostHubbardFisherman] #13376647 12/18/19 10:39 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I have had torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders, with the right one twice. On the third tear the surgeon put in an artificial shoulder. In every case the doctors and physical therapists said to not cast until the physical therapy is complete.
Forget that. Casting is actually good for the shoulder. I have never had any bad results from doing it.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Fishing - Labral Shoulder Tear Recovery [Re: LostHubbardFisherman] #13376691 12/18/19 11:56 PM
5Redman8 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
I had a Superior Labrum Tear and had the tendon screwed back in place.

Doctors said 6-8 months of recovery was th full immobilization for 6 weeks.

I was back to full speed....with pain....in 8 weeks but I was 26 years old.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide