Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mega 360 or Livescope [Re: bladerunner] #13346762 11/19/19 04:13 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by bladerunner
I run 4 birds and just replaced my GN2 with a GN3 so I can purchase the mega 360 when its available and was sold on it. My father, who is still known to have issues turning on his tv/direct tv at the same time, just purchased livescope. Over the past 2 months he's made several trips to a local lake with minimal success before purchasing LS. This weekend was his first real time to use the unit and did so on the same lake and he caught a lot more fish all of which he attributes to the LS. Admittedly he said it can be a time waster, but helped him a great deal. He caught some of his fish jigging/ripping a rattletrap in front of fish he was watching. Others were caught with more traditional methods using the LS. Fishing overall is getting better due to the cooler weather so maybe that's part of his success as well, but he was seeing fishing on the graph, targeting them and specifically catching them. My father who is pushing 70 said it was just like playing a video game, which he has never played in his life facepalm.gif...

So im a bird man and was hoping to get a negative review on his new unit, unfortunately he had none after his first use so now i'm torn too.

So you replaced your console g2 with a g3 and are using the g3 ducer on the back of the boat?

Is the g3 more clear or better at sonar, mega side and mega down like they claim?

In reading about it I kind of concluded that it was only going to reach out further in distance something more valuable for open water guys chasing schools etc. BUT It kinda stands to reason to reach further its more powerful so it should have a better picture at lesser distances so that is what I am asking you.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Mega 360 or Livescope [Re: JarrodMc] #13346776 11/19/19 04:38 PM
L
LittleGazoo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Both have advantages. Simply. 360 imaging is side-scan around the boat.. Livescope is down-imaging around the boat.

One example. Both can be used to fish hydrilla edges.

360 will display side-scan view of grass-line, you can view the distance better and distance to make casts.

Livescope will display down-scan view, you can see grass distance and depth of the grass.

Again, both are good.

Last edited by LittleGazoo; 11/19/19 04:39 PM.
Re: Mega 360 or Livescope [Re: JarrodMc] #13347029 11/19/19 08:43 PM
TwoLakes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Wow. There is some great information in this thread. Thanks to all, and especially Jeff, for taking the time to inform the rest of us. I understand better the pros/cons of each system. Sounds like 360 is the clear winner for bass fishing and livescope is the better choice for vertical brush pile/dock/piling/deep cover fishing. I think I would be happy with either and would like to have both.

I have a 500 dollar Cabela's gift card to spend. $599 for the 93sv plus that ring fry pointed out is probably going to steer me in the Garmin direction. I agree that the 9 inch won't be optimal, but the boat I will be using doesn't have any electronics right now and I have to start somewhere.

I fish with my brother a lot out of his boat. I also have a 16 foot flat bottom boat in my pond that I've never had any electronics on.

I'm planning to build a waterproof box that I can move between all three boats. I'll mount the unit to the top of the box and probably raise it pretty high to see better. I can install a lightweight lithium battery inside the box and have a self contained system that is easily transferred between boats. For the transducer, I'll build something that connects to a ram mount so it can be attached, raised, and lowered quickly.

This all makes sense in my head, now I just need to get it ordered and see how my idea pans out. smile

Re: Mega 360 or Livescope [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13347257 11/20/19 01:09 AM
B
bladerunner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
Originally Posted by bladerunner
I run 4 birds and just replaced my GN2 with a GN3 so I can purchase the mega 360 when its available and was sold on it. My father, who is still known to have issues turning on his tv/direct tv at the same time, just purchased livescope. Over the past 2 months he's made several trips to a local lake with minimal success before purchasing LS. This weekend was his first real time to use the unit and did so on the same lake and he caught a lot more fish all of which he attributes to the LS. Admittedly he said it can be a time waster, but helped him a great deal. He caught some of his fish jigging/ripping a rattletrap in front of fish he was watching. Others were caught with more traditional methods using the LS. Fishing overall is getting better due to the cooler weather so maybe that's part of his success as well, but he was seeing fishing on the graph, targeting them and specifically catching them. My father who is pushing 70 said it was just like playing a video game, which he has never played in his life facepalm.gif...

So im a bird man and was hoping to get a negative review on his new unit, unfortunately he had none after his first use so now i'm torn too.

So you replaced your console g2 with a g3 and are using the g3 ducer on the back of the boat?

Is the g3 more clear or better at sonar, mega side and mega down like they claim?

In reading about it I kind of concluded that it was only going to reach out further in distance something more valuable for open water guys chasing schools etc. BUT It kinda stands to reason to reach further its more powerful so it should have a better picture at lesser distances so that is what I am asking you.

I have two gn2 12's on the console and a 9 and 10 at the bow. I replaced the bow 10 with the gn3 and yes it does seem to be clearer/better, but have only used it once.

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide