Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dock shooting rod #13324451 10/28/19 01:19 AM
W
wesbradshaw Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
New to crappie fishing and I need advise on a good dock shooting rod. I have been thinking about the ACC crappie Stix but I would prefer a single piece 6’6” rod with some backbone. What are y’all using and why. Thanks

Re: Dock shooting rod [Re: wesbradshaw] #13324602 10/28/19 09:48 AM
Magged Out Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
ACC 5' Dock Shooter
BoneHead 5' 8"

I fish on a Kayak, even sitting that close too the water. The 7' 6" Split Grip ACC is becoming my Go Too for pretty much everything. Even Dock Shootin

I'd Tack That!!
Re: Dock shooting rod [Re: wesbradshaw] #13324723 10/28/19 01:19 PM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Lots of good rods out there. My preference is a light (not ultra light) rod with a fast tip. The length of the rod is just your preference. Some docks will require a short rod while others will have room for longer rods.

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: Dock shooting rod [Re: wesbradshaw] #13324795 10/28/19 02:32 PM
Duck_Jerky Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B'n'M Poles has the SharpShooter Six. It's a 6' one-piece rod specifically designed for dock shooting. It really is a tremendous rod for this technique:

https://www.bnmpoles.com/collections/fishing-poles/products/ssd60

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Brian Carter
Pro Staff
B'n'M Poles - www.bnmpoles.com - Quality Rods For Over 60 Years
War Eagle Boats - www.wareagleboats.com - Built for hunters who love to fish!

Videos
www.youtube.com/BnMFishingPoles - YouTube Channel
Re: Dock shooting rod [Re: wesbradshaw] #13325666 10/29/19 03:20 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Dock shooting rod...man, there is a sore subject, for me. I was never an avid dockshooter, until I fished with CrappieXpress. Seems like he sleeps, eats, and breathes dockshooting! Anyway, I hooked up with him, on a trip,and I realized my dockshooting gear was seriously inferior to his setup! Basically, I have been through four different rods this past year, trying to get one that will compete with that obsolete (and fantastic) setup that CrappieXpress uses. Finally found it. A 6 foot, rear seat G-rod, with a 1500 Shimano reel. It will launch those baits back in the dark recesses of a large dock or out the other side of a small one. G-rods can be purchased from Tbox or Laner. They are a bit pricey at $150 bucks, but after a bit of practice, you can get back in where the fish hang out. And if your boat buddy happens to front end you, you can still reach them (from the back of the boat) with that setup!

My first couple of attempts at shooting rods, were much too limber to get more than five feet under a dock, or get a good skip, or get good accuracy. Then I got one a one piece 7 foot rod, that would do much better, but be well short of the mega distance the CrappieXpress could get with his rig. Then I ran across a guy that had several of the rear seat G-rods, that he had gotten from Laner. He let me play around with one for a bit, and I quickly realized this rod would skip those baits a long way, no matter if you were skipping them from a near or far distance. And the accuracy was very good. So, I went and visited my buddy Tbox, and he had one in stock. I have been using it ever since, on docks. Finally, started getting the distance that CrappieXpress had just been killing me with...from several feet behind him. (Don’t mention that fact to him, please!) In fact, it is quickly becoming a go to rod, in several instances. One of the most impressive things about the rod is how well balanced it is. Backbone is strong, as well. I will admit, it takes a bit of getting used to a rear seat rod...it took me like 30 minutes, and I figured out I like them more than a normal handle rod, especially for dock shooting!

So, Laner texted me the other day that he had got some of these rods in stock, and I asked him to set one back for me, as I always want two of my favorite rods, available. Anyway, home this info helps...tight lines!

Re: Dock shooting rod [Re: Duck_Jerky] #13326448 10/29/19 07:53 PM
C
Coachzee Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted by Duck_Jerky
B'n'M Poles has the SharpShooter Six. It's a 6' one-piece rod specifically designed for dock shooting. It really is a tremendous rod for this technique:

https://www.bnmpoles.com/collections/fishing-poles/products/ssd60

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Have three of these rods and love em.

Re: Dock shooting rod [Re: wesbradshaw] #13326577 10/29/19 09:20 PM
W
wesbradshaw Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
I have been looking at the grods and they are on the top of my list at the moment. I have tried calling and messaging them with no luck. I cant find any of these in stock right now. I have been trying to decide if they went out of business or if everyone likes their rods so much the they are ALL out of stock. Please let me know what or who Tbox or Laner is.

Re: Dock shooting rod [Re: wesbradshaw] #13326601 10/29/19 09:39 PM
Laner Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Wes Bradshaw I'm happy to help you the best I can. I've got roughly 30-40 rods in stock of all different lengths.

Check Out The New Website!!!

TCU Alumni class of 2009

Owner/Operator Ft. Worth's Premiere Guide Service: www.ftworthfishing.com
817-266-9811

Re: Dock shooting rod [Re: wesbradshaw] #13327063 10/30/19 02:45 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by wesbradshaw
I have been looking at the grods and they are on the top of my list at the moment. I have tried calling and messaging them with no luck. I cant find any of these in stock right now. I have been trying to decide if they went out of business or if everyone likes their rods so much the they are ALL out of stock. Please let me know what or who Tbox or Laner is.

Tbox is Thermocline Lures, and as noted above, Laner is Constant Pursuit outfitters...both online, and both will take care of your needs, with awesome rods and awesome baits.

Re: Dock shooting rod [Re: crapicat] #13327744 10/30/19 07:36 PM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted by crapicat
Dock shooting rod...man, there is a sore subject, for me. I was never an avid dockshooter, until I fished with CrappieXpress. Seems like he sleeps, eats, and breathes dockshooting! Anyway, I hooked up with him, on a trip,and I realized my dockshooting gear was seriously inferior to his setup! Basically, I have been through four different rods this past year, trying to get one that will compete with that obsolete (and fantastic) setup that CrappieXpress uses. Finally found it. A 6 foot, rear seat G-rod, with a 1500 Shimano reel. It will launch those baits back in the dark recesses of a large dock or out the other side of a small one. G-rods can be purchased from Tbox or Laner. They are a bit pricey at $150 bucks, but after a bit of practice, you can get back in where the fish hang out. And if your boat buddy happens to front end you, you can still reach them (from the back of the boat) with that setup!

My first couple of attempts at shooting rods, were much too limber to get more than five feet under a dock, or get a good skip, or get good accuracy. Then I got one a one piece 7 foot rod, that would do much better, but be well short of the mega distance the CrappieXpress could get with his rig. Then I ran across a guy that had several of the rear seat G-rods, that he had gotten from Laner. He let me play around with one for a bit, and I quickly realized this rod would skip those baits a long way, no matter if you were skipping them from a near or far distance. And the accuracy was very good. So, I went and visited my buddy Tbox, and he had one in stock. I have been using it ever since, on docks. Finally, started getting the distance that CrappieXpress had just been killing me with...from several feet behind him. (Don’t mention that fact to him, please!) In fact, it is quickly becoming a go to rod, in several instances. One of the most impressive things about the rod is how well balanced it is. Backbone is strong, as well. I will admit, it takes a bit of getting used to a rear seat rod...it took me like 30 minutes, and I figured out I like them more than a normal handle rod, especially for dock shooting!

So, Laner texted me the other day that he had got some of these rods in stock, and I asked him to set one back for me, as I always want two of my favorite rods, available. Anyway, home this info helps...tight lines!

Still whining about Crappie Xpress front ending you. Just get up and move to the bow of the boat....he's not gonna shove you out. Steve quite trying to front end me cause he knows he can't...lol.

Re: Dock shooting rod [Re: wesbradshaw] #13327753 10/30/19 07:42 PM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B

I might add this....GRods are good rods (I have a couple) but dock shooting rods tend to have a pretty rough life and short life span. Just a thought.

Re: Dock shooting rod [Re: bush hog] #13328124 10/31/19 02:22 AM
C
CrappieXpress Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Hahaha!!! Bush hog I’ll never live it down. In fact it gets worse every year!! I’ve even installed a second seat on the front deck just to keep the whining at bay!

But all of the posts above are accurate. Light action (not ultralight) with a fast tip. The fast tip is very important as it helps to build speed on the jig when you let it go and that's the key to getting the bait to skip across the water.

Re: Dock shooting rod [Re: bush hog] #13328297 10/31/19 11:35 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by bush hog

I might add this....GRods are good rods (I have a couple) but dock shooting rods tend to have a pretty rough life and short life span. Just a thought.

Hey Bushhog, dock shooting czar, how long will a dock shooting rod last? I don’t know, but would like to...of course, I am referring to last, meaning without it getting beat up by hitting it on the docks, being stepped on, slammed in the tailgate, or truck door etc? I mostly only shoot docks in the spring months, when CrappieXpress or the consummate potlicker Troy is running the TM, and haven’t burned one out yet...although, I have discarded some as worthless trash. That said, I did accidentally break a rod in the store, testing it for flex, last year...after it was recommended as a good crappie shooter. I shall decline to name the rod manufacturer...

Re: Dock shooting rod [Re: CrappieXpress] #13328306 10/31/19 11:49 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by CrappieXpress
Hahaha!!! Bush hog I’ll never live it down. In fact it gets worse every year!! I’ve even installed a second seat on the front deck just to keep the whining at bay!

But all of the posts above are accurate. Light action (not ultralight) with a fast tip. The fast tip is very important as it helps to build speed on the jig when you let it go and that's the key to getting the bait to skip across the water.

So True, it was even evident to the dock owners! Lol And yes, I know it hurts your pride, when I have to situate in the back of the boat (a rear mounted trolling motor would help a lot!) to shoot in there and take “your fish”...yeeee

I do have a serious question to anyone that wants to chime in...why aren’t dock shooting rods built around an Extra Fast tip? Seriously, All the store bought versions seem to be less than a fast tip, instead of more than a fast tip. I have noted that even the Grod tip is not really fast enough for me, but, for whatever reason, it does hold its own against that setup you use. Maybe the Grod material is just better at transferring energy, even with a slower tip?

Re: Dock shooting rod [Re: crapicat] #13328480 10/31/19 02:18 PM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted by crapicat
Originally Posted by bush hog

Hey Bushhog, dock shooting czar, how long will a dock shooting rod last? I don’t know, but would like to...of course, I am referring to last, meaning without it getting beat up by hitting it on the docks, being stepped on, slammed in the tailgate, or truck door etc? I mostly only shoot docks in the spring months, when CrappieXpress or the consummate potlicker Troy is running the TM, and haven’t burned one out yet...although, I have discarded some as worthless trash. That said, I did accidentally break a rod in the store, testing it for flex, last year...after it was recommended as a good crappie shooter. I shall decline to name the rod manufacturer...

It will last you a long time when you're stranded in the back of the boat not catching any fish roflmao I have a bad habit of letting the boat drift too close or trying that impossible shot and wind up slapping the dock. The bridge on Murvaul has claimed some rod tips in the past.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide