Page 1 of 2 1 2
Preparing for the Cold. #13311172 10/14/19 03:12 PM
S
Sirjet Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
So this will be my first winter season from my Kayak. So can everyone give some pointers. Getting cold is my biggest fear during the winter. Not falling in. Just while on the kayak my hands will get wet. What gloves do y'all use?

Marine 4 Life
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

"#1 God #2 Family #3 Fishing #4 Fishing #5 Fishing
JET

Re: Preparing for the Cold. [Re: Sirjet] #13311188 10/14/19 03:33 PM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
I never use gloves. That said i was born in northern michigan, paddled my whole life, plus i am a metal fabricator...my hands dont feel anything. I use the cheepest breathable waiders i can find and replace every or every other year. I use a frog togs rain jacket and layer up under. Stay away from rubber as it doesnt insulate at all.

Re: Preparing for the Cold. [Re: Sirjet] #13311278 10/14/19 04:43 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
I hate the cold. When it cools off, I wear NRS HyroSkin Wetsocks under my paddling shoes. When it's cold, I wear NRS Paddle Wetshoes. A lot of people wear NRS Boundary Shoes (on sale at NRS). I also wear some thin NRS HydoSkin gloves, and if it's really cold, neoprene or wool gloves. I've also worn waist-high wading pants and then assorted layers on the torso and arms.

Re: Preparing for the Cold. [Re: Sirjet] #13311285 10/14/19 04:50 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I've tried gloves and can't seem to keep the hooks out of them. One little poke with a hook and they're toast. For me as long as I keep my head, face and feet warm I'll be fine. Ditto on the breathable waders and layering up. I wear a pair of neoprene wading boots (3 sizes bigger than what I normally wear) over my waders that have the stocking feet. Works great and I can take them off in the yak if my feet start to sweat.

If you watch in early spring you can find these on sale. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ma...ockingfoot-wader#?repChildCatid=4223105. I bought a pair for $42.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: Preparing for the Cold. [Re: Sirjet] #13311881 10/15/19 01:05 AM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Breathable waders with a belt, neoprene gloves if you need gloves, and a dry bag in the hatch with a BIG towel, dry clothes, and some matches or a good all-weather lighter. Dress in layers, and carry a dry bag for discarded layers (you may want to put them back on later, and you'll appreciate them being dry).

Many of the experts insist that you NEVER, NEVER, EVER tether yourself to your kayak. WAAAAAAAAY to dangerous!!, they say. But as a guy who generally fishes alone (I work weekends) and in salt water, where the wind is always blowing in winter, I generally attach a carabiner bungee to the yak from my PFD. I feel that getting dumped and the boat blowing away while I'm in deep, cold water a long way from shore could possibly have a bad outcome. Call me crazy...........

Anyway, food for thought. Make up your own mind about tethering yourself to your boat when fishing alone.

Re: Preparing for the Cold. [Re: Sirjet] #13312088 10/15/19 10:19 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
How cold are we talking about?

Sunny and cold, I like layers. Paddling vigorously will heat me up. To me, neoprene is awful unless you plan on staying fully immersed in water. Neoprene waders will steam you in your own juices. But I see plenty of people that wear them so to each his own.

Synthetic, water wicking material next to skin. Wool is okay too. Avoid cotton. Breathable waders are nice if it’s real cold. I wear nylon pants under the waders. Don’t ever wear blue jeans in a kayak. Never ever.

If the day starts out in the lower 40s but warms into the 60’s, typical south Texas weather in winter, I might wear nylon, hydrophobic shorts, a fleece top (synthetic) and something that covers my ears. Might have another jacket just in case.

I usually look less bundled up as compared to other kayakers I see out. You have to know your nature and dress accordingly. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Preparing for the Cold. [Re: Sirjet] #13312990 10/16/19 01:10 AM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
My solution is pretty simple.. . I don't go out when it's cold. roflmao

Seriously, I really don't like to fish in the cold but I often get spring fever and head out in early March... By this time the sun is usually warm so I layer up and make sure the outer layer will block the wind. I have a light weight soft shell jacket that works great for this. I can alway shed a layer below the soft shell if I get too warm.

Re: Preparing for the Cold. [Re: Sirjet] #13313150 10/16/19 04:46 AM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Nothing worse than being cold to me. I've acquired a few things that keep me warm on the coldest days. Two pair of thick wool socks, thermal top and bottoms, a pair of fleece lined ski pants and a down filled jacket for starters. Then comes the zippered breathable chest waders, a hooded dry top, a wool cap, and two pair of gloves. Regular sun gloves to fish with and a pair of insulated gloves to warm my hands up when they start to get cold. Between the two pair of socks I use the chemical hand warmers, a couple more around my neck, and a couple in either the palm or back of my hands. Also keep a couple in the insulated gloves that I use to warm my hands if my fingers start to lose feeling. Wearing the above and paddling will keep me toasty to below freezing temps. Had to let some cold air in every now and then as temps got too warm at times. With sealed wrist and neck gaskets, waist belt and dry top that fits snuggly over waders, I'm prepared to swim for a while without getting soaked.

Coldest day I fished was high of 29, low of 24, on Jan 1, 2017 on Monticello... never came close to getting cold once everything was in place and got in kayak.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Having a dry bag with large towel, extra socks, thermal wear, and jacket, along with extra hand warmers and other safety items is a must.

https://www.orvis.com/p/silver-sonic-zippered-waders/7c99

Last edited by lconn4; 10/16/19 05:03 AM.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Preparing for the Cold. [Re: Sirjet] #13313161 10/16/19 05:45 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
I set my limit at 40 degrees.
I have a pair of flip mitts. the top section of the fingers flips open. Keeps hands warm and dry but can't do anything but paddle with them on. The flipped back portion just gets in the way.
I have not really found anything I can fish with and keep my hands warm yet. chemical warmers do not do the job when out in the cold. old style hand warmer with the charcoal stick do not produce enough heat when in the cold. Scared of liquid fueled hand warmers.

As for what people wear in the cold you might want to check out the following
Cold weather kayak gear for north texas for in the kayaking forum. On this thread also be sure to look down a few posts for post from Todd on 10/8/18 with the video for :Exploding the Waders Of Death Myth"
Cold Weather Gear in the bass fishing forum.

You need to be concerned about not just staying warm, but also what will help keep you alive if you do take a spill in cold water and/or cold temps. Taking a spill with wrong clothing will kill you quickly. Temps changing suddenly can often be accompanied by high winds which again increases chances of getting wet or capsizing. If winds increase beyond point where you can get back you could be out there for a while. Also sudden temp change can bring rain.
During winter, once the sun sets it cools off pretty quickly also. Been out feeling very comfy then not long after sunset feeling pretty cold and really glad to be in heated vehicle after getting back to ramp and loading up my stuff.

Re: Preparing for the Cold. [Re: Ocelot] #13313382 10/16/19 02:24 PM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted by Ocelot

You need to be concerned about not just staying warm, but also what will help keep you alive if you do take a spill in cold water and/or cold temps. Taking a spill with wrong clothing will kill you quickly. Temps changing suddenly can often be accompanied by high winds which again increases chances of getting wet or capsizing. If winds increase beyond point where you can get back you could be out there for a while. Also sudden temp change can bring rain.
During winter, once the sun sets it cools off pretty quickly also. Been out feeling very comfy then not long after sunset feeling pretty cold and really glad to be in heated vehicle after getting back to ramp and loading up my stuff.

This is a very good point. In the spring, the air temp can be quite comfortable while the water is still cold enough to kill. Furthermore, winds can turn on a dime in the spring. A PFD and change of clothes is the most important thing to have. Because I don't have waders, I elect to stay very close to my launch point when the water is cold.

Re: Preparing for the Cold. [Re: Sirjet] #13313557 10/16/19 04:45 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Ocelot I'm with ya. And for me upper 30's to around 40 degrees that's going to be in the morning and warming up later in the day. I still dress warm but wouldn't go out when it's cold enough to freeze water on the rod eyes lol. Too many other warmer days in Texas to fish.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: Preparing for the Cold. [Re: Sirjet] #13313945 10/17/19 12:17 AM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
water proof gear

Re: Preparing for the Cold. [Re: Sirjet] #13314233 10/17/19 09:11 AM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Lots of times in the cold months i have fished from the yak and went to shore and had a fire to warm up a min or two. Also, that TX whiskey and coffee mixed in a good thermos helps nicley.

Re: Preparing for the Cold. [Re: Sirjet] #13315724 10/18/19 07:36 PM
B
Blue Devil 7 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I put up the fishing rods and go deer hunting. cheers

Re: Preparing for the Cold. [Re: Sirjet] #13315753 10/18/19 08:18 PM
S
Sirjet Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
I would also go deer hunting if the Lease i was on was not sold out from under me last season mad mad mad mad

Marine 4 Life
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

"#1 God #2 Family #3 Fishing #4 Fishing #5 Fishing
JET

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide