Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Re: MLF/FLW [Re: Neal G] #13310003 10/13/19 02:34 PM
NITRO Z8 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
How true and to the point. Thank you!!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: MLF/FLW [Re: H2O Seeker] #13310041 10/13/19 03:16 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by H2O Seeker
Originally Posted by Mark Jones
Originally Posted by champRD
Well H20Seeker , if your livewell will cease to exist in your lifetime statement comes to fruition, then you will see the end of grass roots tournaments as we know them now. There is no way you can logistically run smaller local type tournaments mlf style and make them profitable to tournament trails and anglers alike. You are not going to find alot of Marshalls that will work for free to ride around in a bassboat to weigh and record every entrants fish. You might see some here and there but they will never replace a 3 or 5 fish derby on a smaller scale just for the fact that it's not cost effective.

The tech is coming and it won’t be long. Have you seen the tech advances in our world in the last decade? It’s not a question of if but when.

According to your logic the kayak circuits could not be viable. This is not the case.

Sorry you lost me on that. Not sure I follow.

Re: MLF/FLW [Re: Dubee] #13310093 10/13/19 04:23 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I agree it's coming. The new tech will allow more anglers to fish tournaments. There's a local group that fishes a weekly tournament on a small lake that use the measure, picture method like kayakers do. You text in your fish immediately. It's bassboats, flatbottoms, kayakers, all in 1 event and it's a team event.

Re: MLF/FLW [Re: Dubee] #13310180 10/13/19 06:24 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Good news is, we live in America and we have choices. If the times comes that the only tournaments to fish are mlf format, I will simply choose to quit tournament fishing and fish for fun. I do not see the 5 fish going away simply because it is not well received by a large number of people. Fans bring in money. If you take away the big weigh ins then you will see a decline in the fan interaction. Sponsor money is great until we hit a snag in the economy or people just decide they don't want to spend the extra money on a hobby. Fishing will never be golf, football, basketball, baseball or any of that. Sorry to hurt some of you guys feelings but fishing is mostly a big deal the small percentage of us, and the "big names" only mean something to those people who are apart of the fishing community. Ask anyone who Tiger Woods is and most people would at least be able to tell you he was a golfer. Ask anybody else who Boyd Duckett or Gary Klein are and they are going to just look at you. You can put it on all the tv channels you want to, but that doesn't mean people are going to stop and watch it. You take away the big weigh ins, and people will just quit showing up.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: MLF/FLW [Re: J.H.S.] #13310184 10/13/19 06:27 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted by Josh Seale
Good news is, we live in America and we have choices. If the times comes that the only tournaments to fish are mlf format, I will simply choose to quit tournament fishing and fish for fun. I do not see the 5 fish going away simply because it is not well received by a large number of people. Fans bring in money. If you take away the big weigh ins then you will see a decline in the fan interaction. Sponsor money is great until we hit a snag in the economy or people just decide they don't want to spend the extra money on a hobby. Fishing will never be golf, football, basketball, baseball or any of that. Sorry to hurt some of you guys feelings but fishing is mostly a big deal the small percentage of us, and the "big names" only mean something to those people who are apart of the fishing community. Ask anyone who Tiger Woods is and most people would at least be able to tell you he was a golfer. Ask anybody else who Boyd Duckett or Gary Klein are and they are going to just look at you. You can put it on all the tv channels you want to, but that doesn't mean people are going to stop and watch it. You take away the big weigh ins, and people will just quit showing up.

Maybe at the pro level but you don't need crowds at the local level as long as payouts are largely based on entry fees. As long as the payouts are good, guys will always show up

Re: MLF/FLW [Re: J.H.S.] #13310188 10/13/19 06:31 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

This is a passion based participation sport, they fish when the economy is up or down. You don't need weigh ins either for the same reason. If tournament fishing was gone today there would still be 30 million + people on the water fishing and that's what matters to businesses marketing in the space. It's actually a big deal to millions...

Re: MLF/FLW [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13310189 10/13/19 06:32 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta

Maybe at the pro level but you don't need crowds at the local level as long as payouts are largely based on entry fees. As long as the payouts are good, guys will always show up

Correct thumb

Re: MLF/FLW [Re: Mark Jones] #13310234 10/13/19 07:51 PM
B
beartrap Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Mark Jones

Correct thumb

before television came along,professional athletes had to have second jobs because ticket sales were their only source of revenue and there just wasn't much money to go around....professional fishermen don't even have ticket sales and before Boyd Duckett came along,there was only revenue from 30-40 hours of TV programming...
Boyd,Gary Klein and others have increased that TV coverage to 850 hours with BPT/MLF programming...the phenomenal growth of high school and college teams makes the future look promising for increased participation and revenue....

Re: MLF/FLW [Re: J.H.S.] #13310238 10/13/19 08:00 PM
P
pchapin Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
You take away the big weigh ins, and people will just quit showing up.

For the last fifty years weigh ins have not put a penny in the pocket of the pros. Only entry fees. The pros have decided they want more than a payback of their entry fees.

“No reasonable person would conclude that the statements were truly statements of fact”
P01135809
Re: MLF/FLW [Re: pchapin] #13310242 10/13/19 08:04 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by pchapin
You take away the big weigh ins, and people will just quit showing up.

For the last fifty years weigh ins have not put a penny in the pocket of the pros. Only entry fees. The pros have decided they want more than a payback of their entry fees.

I would think before the advent of live coverage the weigh in stage is where the sponsors got their ROI. What the pros said they used while on the weigh in stage is how tackke and gear got sold. The magazines and TV shows covered what the pros used as well but i think money got made on a weigh in stage and still does to a lesser degree.

If there were no value in it the BPT would not do the wrap up activity at tge end of each day.

Re: MLF/FLW [Re: Dubee] #13310250 10/13/19 08:19 PM
B
Burgerboy Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I support both and have mixed feelings. I think you sent some starts to the minor leagues for two years. I think if you are a mid level performer it can be good in that you got a raise between $500-$10,000. I do not hate on it for being a dink fest, but I think the MLF insistence that is not , is inaccurate. It has pretty much been proven that the most catches wins.

I think for a lot of negative that has indeed been earned with some things I think most would find as bad sportsmanship, the one thing MLF has done very well at , is bring in non fishing sponsors into the sport, at least in the short term.

As much as I enjoy MLF most the time, I can say the detractors seem to be in much greater numbers than the people like me that support and enjoy all, or the people that enjoy MLF and not the other guys. It would be nice if those at the top would quit coming across as a hit job on BASS and just go do their own thing and let BASS do their own thing.

And yes I do find MLF to be trying to force their format down peoples throat.

Re: MLF/FLW [Re: Dubee] #13310270 10/13/19 08:41 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
The Duckett cronies who think they are somebody on here are funny when you tell them you don't like MLF. "Well too bad, it is here to stay" blah blah blah. News flash, the 5 fish tournaments aren't going anywhere because the demand for them is still quite large. In the grand scheme of things, we are nobodies. Most people do not care about big time tournament fishing. It is a small group. I know that is hard to hear for some of you "tff Sticks" who think people worship you. The other good news, 99.9% of us on here will never have to worry about what they are doing in professional bass fishing because will never be good enough to make it in pro bass fishing.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: MLF/FLW [Re: J.H.S.] #13310460 10/13/19 10:19 PM
B
B.K.S. Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
B

If or when the MLF format takes over tournaments as some have said I'll be done also,I'll keep bass fishing,but it will be for food,that should set well with the never fillet crowd!LOL

B.K.S.

Re: MLF/FLW [Re: B.K.S.] #13310784 10/14/19 01:43 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by B.K.S.

If or when the MLF format takes over tournaments as some have said I'll be done also,I'll keep bass fishing,but it will be for food,that should set well with the never fillet crowd!LOL

I agree with both of you guys. I don’t like the taste of fish at all and will not keep one, but when the day comes that a bass is held in such high praise that boats no longer have livewells...then I’ll start killing my limit out on every outing. Ridiculous to make a fish such a holy item.

Re: MLF/FLW [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13310963 10/14/19 11:13 AM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T

I agree but only if they can solve the equation to prevent cheating under the format. It works fine on the honor system for the small club stuff but we all know what happens when theres real money put out there. If they can really fix that issue with whatever they say they have then it will ease the questions and people will give it a shot

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide