Forums59
Topics1,039,325
Posts13,962,856
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Choice of new boat glass or aluminum? [Re: JSouther] #13297762 09/30/19 09:05 PM
R
RespectTheFish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I love my Seaark 2472 MV that I custom rigged to be a CC bay style boat. There are pros and cons to aluminum boats. I wanted an aluminum boat because I didn't want to have to baby it or worry about it and I think you can't beat a metal (aluminum) boat when it comes to toughness and ruggedness. I bowfish, catfish, hybrid fish, etc... and I never have to worry if my 1/8 inch aluminum boat is going to last because I know it will and take the abuse I throw at it. For such a monsterous 2472 size it doesn't weigh as much as a fiberglass boat would weigh so I can get in skinny water and stick ups and catch catfish up shallow. The ONE con I can think of it the ride as others have said. Flatbottom/semiV front makes for a brutal ride on rough water and you feel every wave. For me, I'm okay with it and just part of fishing but I went with a buddy in his nice 24 foot fiberglass boat and was amazed at what a smooth ride felt like flying across the water without getting a drop of water on me. That is something to consider and is a huge plus of most fiberglass boats versus most aluminum boats. Depends on what you are doing and how you fish.

Clay
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Choice of new boat glass or aluminum? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #13301377 10/04/19 01:04 PM
J
JKeller Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Mr. El Gato Azul

Wow, really! If I hurt your feelings with my comment about glass boats, then I apologize. It was not my intent to speak negatively about glass boats but share my experiences with my boat.

JSouther started this thread asking about the Xpress H24B. I thought I might have some relevant information since I own an Xpress, as I mentioned.
I have reread my post and stand behind my opinion of my boat.

I have been in many glass boats, from Blue Wave to Nautic Star, another that I don't recall (Crappie King guide service), Nitro, etc. All of them were awesome boats that I would love to have. But they would not all work for the various types of fishing that I enjoy. While I have not been blown into the rocks, BUMPED into the corner of the boat dock, or a direct hit on a submerged stump that destroyed my prop while in a glass boat I have in my Xpress, And I agree that the glass boats that I have been in do offer a very nice ride. But, again, he was asking about a particular model boat. If you have experience riding in an Xpress H20B or H24B boat, I would like to hear your opinion on that boat and ride.

Perhaps, our discussion should convince JSouther to seriously consider where and how he wants to fish the Xpress H24B he is considering. Which I think he is already. I have looked hard at the Xpress H24B, and really like the additional step down from the front deck, a wider boat thank mine, and deeper sides than mine(good for grandkids).

Re: Choice of new boat glass or aluminum? [Re: JSouther] #13301444 10/04/19 02:02 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
No need to apologize to me Keller. You didn’t hurt my feelings one bit amigo. I was just giving my opinion from a guy who has owned a lot of different aluminum and glass boats over the years. The name of the thread was “choice of new boat glass or aluminum?” Judging from your reaction I think i might have hurt your feelings a bit so I apologize. There are good and bad things about all boats and I was giving my honest opinion from a guy who fishes big water hard and puts his boats through a lot of abuse. A safe dry ride across big water is important to me especially since I have a 4 yr old boy on my boat half the time and it might be important to others as well. texas

Last edited by El Gato Azul; 10/04/19 03:57 PM.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: Choice of new boat glass or aluminum? [Re: JSouther] #13302001 10/04/19 11:24 PM
F
forsanmedic Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Just another 2 cents. When we looked for a new boat 5 years ago we looked at a lot of different models and makes. We went with a G3 V172. The reason went with this type of boat is we fish for all species of fish, sometimes in the same day.lol. Also, most of the time it is just my wife and I or me by myself, so wanted something that was easy to load and unload. We live on a fairly shallow lake, so needed to have a relatively shallow draft, also for chasing spring crappie. The deep V design is what the manufacturers call multispecies now. They used to be called walleye boats, because these are the style used by walleye anglers up north on big lakes and lots of open water. We fished out of a couple of guides with this type boat one was a Lund and the other a Tracker and liked the design of it.
We went G3 because the floor plan more fit our desires. Another thing to think about, on the deep V styles the windshield keeps you and your passenger dry in most circumstances. We have been caught on Tawakoni, Texoma, and Whitney in high winds and big waves. Slow down, pay attention and we get back to the ramp safe and dry. That being said. I normally watch the weather and if the wind is gonna be over 25 mph, we wait for another day. It's not just the ride between spots, that much wind makes the fishing more work. The deep v's are heavier that most other aluminum models, so they don't blow around as bad. Also, most have a center mounted 30+ gallon fuel tank that also helps with weight distribution. Anyways just a thought.
My best suggestion, is figure out what you wanna use the boat for and what design best fits your plan. All have a place and shine at their niche. On the extremes you don't wanna ski behind a big Ranger bass boat or bass fish out of a ski boat. Also, go out with a couple guides that run the type you want ans see how it works in the real world. Or if you know some one with that type go with them some and try it out that way.
Good luck. Shopping can be fun as you research what you want. Not trying to step on anyone's toes, just wanted to give you another option.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide