texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,021
TexDawg 119,788
Bigbob_FTW 95,327
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,356
Mark Perry 72,488
Derek 🐝 68,322
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,911
Posts13,955,157
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tales from TTO on Bob Sandlin Championship #13275057 09/09/19 12:35 PM
Champion1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Went down Wednesday as we had never been on the lake. Started catching fish and shaking a bunch off right off the bat. Had 4 different patterns working thought we were going to do ok. 15 pounds seemed easy all 3 practice days. On tournament day we zeroed. Nothing we had worked. Don't know what happened. Shallow, deep, trees no top water which we had been doing really well on in practice, never even got a swirl. We came away scratching our heads. Everyone else caught them good. Just one of those deals I guess. How did you guys do?

www.TuffSkinz.net
www.basscat.com
�It�s all in your head. It doesn�t matter if your 6 or 60. You can participate in this sport."-Rick Clunn
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Tales from TTO on Bob Sandlin Championship [Re: Champion1] #13275191 09/09/19 02:38 PM
dillydilly24 Offline
Angler
Angler
Caught them good in practice, was never on tournament winning fish but didn’t think it would be tough to put 14-16 pounds in the boat. Come Saturday though everything changed, none of our piles had fish on them, the top water bite was significantly slower for us too. Curious to see what the guys up top were doing.

Life�s a garden, dig it
Re: Tales from TTO on Bob Sandlin Championship [Re: Champion1] #13275369 09/09/19 05:11 PM
R
RedRaider3933 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
We committed one practice day off shore and another looking for shallow fish. After catching 4 keepers in two days of practice we just kind of ran around like idiots and managed to catch two limits by some miracle. Ended up 18th when we legitimately thought we were going to zero both days. Probably the most brutal 4 days of fishing I can remember.

Go Tech
Re: Tales from TTO on Bob Sandlin Championship [Re: RedRaider3933] #13275398 09/09/19 05:39 PM
BrockstaRama Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by RedRaider3933
We committed one practice day off shore and another looking for shallow fish. After catching 4 keepers in two days of practice we just kind of ran around like idiots and managed to catch two limits by some miracle. Ended up 18th when we legitimately thought we were going to zero both days. Probably the most brutal 4 days of fishing I can remember.

Good job anyhow!

When I am not fishing I am thinking about fishing. And mostly what I should have done differently my last trip!
#Brockstarama
Re: Tales from TTO on Bob Sandlin Championship [Re: Champion1] #13275452 09/09/19 06:56 PM
TexasMo Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
we went down and got on water Friday around noon.. and burnt a lot of gas just looking around.. finally fished a small set of docks an those docks saves our butts... we ended up 17th... culled ounces both days.. and finally caught 1 fish over 5 lbs late Sunday afternoon.....

Never fished deep because i suck at it...

Rip some Lips ya'll.
Re: Tales from TTO on Bob Sandlin Championship [Re: Champion1] #13275541 09/09/19 09:02 PM
Rockie Martin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
We came down there and prefished. Wednesday we focused on all deep water. Marked some schools, never caught a Largemouth deep. Got some spots here and there.... Thursday decided to completely change and fished shallow all day. Had a 8lber or 9lber come up and try to eat my frog, did not set the hook and it let go, had a few more blow ups. Also, found another pattern we were running and caught some nice fish in less than a foot of water and in 91 degree water.... Friday looked for more areas to confirm shallow pattern and confirmed it Friday. First day of the tournament we had over 11 pounds by 9:00 am all shallow. We culled maybe 10 keepers with biggest about 2.5lbs. We had a fish struggling, so, we culled it with another keeper we caught. I revived it and we watched it swim away, so, not sure if he was playing possum, or what, but it dropped us maybe a .25 of a lb. Ended day one with 11.3. I was blown away with the weights on Saturday! Day 2 we decided to run the shallow pattern until 9 and go deep to all the spots we marked during practice on wednesday. First 5 minutes put a 5lber in the boat. Biggest fish of the whole 5 days so far. Caught 2 more keepers in the next hour and a half or so. We had around 8 to 8.5 lbs and headed deep. Never got another fish in the boat. At noon dumped the fish and head home to catch the Cowboy game!

That was the hottest and toughest 5 days of fishing for me in a long time! Congrats and my hats off to all the all the check cashiers and the winners! Job well done!

TTO you guys truly run the best trail in Texas! Thank you for what you guys do for the fisherman!

P.S Love the new schedule!

Last edited by Rockie Martin; 09/09/19 09:06 PM.

www.RockieMartin.com -I can help with your Mortgage needs for Purchasing a home or Refinancing.
Re: Tales from TTO on Bob Sandlin Championship [Re: Champion1] #13275558 09/09/19 09:22 PM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I've got a club tournament out there in November. Any pointers for someone who has never been?

Re: Tales from TTO on Bob Sandlin Championship [Re: Champion1] #13275569 09/09/19 09:42 PM
Rockie Martin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
It will be a totally different lake in November! The water temp there this past week was 89 to 92. I am sure it will be far less than that, fishing should be great then....

www.RockieMartin.com -I can help with your Mortgage needs for Purchasing a home or Refinancing.
Re: Tales from TTO on Bob Sandlin Championship [Re: Champion1] #13275578 09/09/19 09:54 PM
L
LeonSulak Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Saturday was the first time my partner and I had ever been to that lake. We had every intention of prefishing, but life got in the way. We had a great day Saturday with 18.71 and a terrible day Sunday with 3.71 (with one dead).

On Saturday we rolled up to our first spot on a point with a road bed and attempted to try topwater. Only had one bite so I turned around and started tossing a 5xd out deeper. Managed a quick limit by 7:15am but all were small. Then I picked up the 6xd and set the boat in 10' casting downhill. That's when I caught the 6.44 and 5 on back to back casts. Called Donnie to see if we could weigh them in and set them back, and they did that for us. Went to a few more spots and caught fish at each, but no size. Went back to our first spot and culled multiple times to our number. Day 2 on the other hand was an absolute struggled. Our lack of water time and knowledge of the lake absolutely showed. Picked up our only two keepers by 7am and only had 3 other bites the rest of the day.

Congratulations to all those that did well this weekend. It was a blast. On a side note, it has been an awesome experience fishing my first tournament trail with the TTO. They are a great group of people, run great tournaments, and have helped me navigate my first time fishing a trail. Equally, it was great meeting some phenomenal anglers and learning from them. Looking forward to next year.

Last edited by LeonSulak; 09/09/19 09:54 PM.

Re: Tales from TTO on Bob Sandlin Championship [Re: Champion1] #13276048 09/10/19 08:48 AM
txbassman2019 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
For myself/my dad, it was a weekend that will be hard to forget! I was only able to practice Friday and even with the one day of practice, I spent six hours idling due to my trolling motor battery being shot and not having any juice to really do anything (Thank God the wind didn't blow). I did find quite a few piles that had fish in them, but could only imagine how many other people had found the same piles, judging by the amount of traffic on the water Friday.

Tournament day comes, start on the dam with 2 other boats, one not in the event, the other boat.. ( I later found out he was fishing TTO) proceeded to catch what seemed like 6-7 fish in a matter of 15 minutes, one of which was over 5lbs. I wasn't about to let that affect my mental attitude, so we picked up and ran up the lake to my piles.... Fast forward to 12:30 & all my piles fished, we had 3 keepers. (2) 10-inch spots, and one squeaker largemouth. In an effort to salvage the day, I started running water that I knew held fish in years past. I get to (what I thought was well known) an underwater tire reef on the lower end of the lake and not a soul on it - I proceeded to pick up a 10" ole monster to probe the tires with and barely get the texas rig over the first one before getting a slight "tick". I set the hook into our kicker, a skinny 6.5lb fish. Boy, this fish revamped my dad and I's confidence and proceeded to fill out our limit/cull up to our bag for day 1, 18.15. Unfortunately, I had a 2.09 spotted bass that croaked on the way into weigh in, dropping us to 17.65.

Day 2 - When we took off that morning, I honestly didn't know where to start. For whatever reason, I had a feeling we should go back to the tire reef we ended on the afternoon before. Only to get there and have some company waiting on us. Now, I know what you're thinking, the sand bass fisherman/fisherwoman that were there when we arrived, were probably some of the nicest people I've met on the water in a long time. As I was making my first cast, they pulled right up to the port side of our boat and were just wanting to know what to do to catch sand bass. Wasn't really sure, but I knew from the activity I had seen on the surface, they couldn't go wrong with a trap/topwater around the bridge. As I was trying to help them find some sand bass, my dad & I proceeded to put a limit in the boat in the first 10 casts. Unreal. We had caught probably 25 - 30 fish in that first hour, maybe had around 8-9lbs, nothing great but was still fun to experience with my pops. Around 8:30 - 9am, I decided to make a move to a ledge in 17ft, which dropped into 40. Saw three fish sitting on it... shut the motor off and circled back around. Tossed out my carolina rig and proceeded to sit down on the front deck of the boat and eat a handful of chex mix...... After 10-15 seconds of letting my rig soak, I set my propel water down and picked my rod back up, and felt tension, almost like I was stuck on a rock or hung. So, I held the rod still for a second and proceeded to feel a slight 'nod'. Instantly regretting the fact that I was still sitting on my @ss on the front deck, I rared back and set the hook. Only to have my rod not move and then begin to pulled back. Struggling to stand up, I gained my stance and fought what would be the biggest fish of the weekend. NESSY. She came up pissed and tried to get me around the lower unit... not today ole girl. My dad got her in the net and we booked it over to the ramp to meet Donnie for a weight. 8.88 on the scales....

We ended up making two culls shortly after that, and the rest of the day was pretty non-existent for us in terms of bites. The heat was unreal with the wind having died that afternoon.

We finished the event in 4th with 18.85 on day 2. Super thankful for all that TTO and the crew do for all of the anglers on the scene and behind the scenes. Looking forward to next year! Congrats to Mike Schultz and Kevin Bryant again on winning AOY, and congrats to the overall winners of the event.

Re: Tales from TTO on Bob Sandlin Championship [Re: Champion1] #13276177 09/10/19 01:20 PM
007. Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Thanks to all for sharing your tales, I enjoyed reading them. I wanted to fish the tournament so bad, but was not able to due to family issues. Looking forward to next season.

Re: Tales from TTO on Bob Sandlin Championship [Re: Champion1] #13277295 09/11/19 01:58 PM
Champion1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Did I mention it was HOT as HECK?

www.TuffSkinz.net
www.basscat.com
�It�s all in your head. It doesn�t matter if your 6 or 60. You can participate in this sport."-Rick Clunn
Re: Tales from TTO on Bob Sandlin Championship [Re: txbassman2019] #13277332 09/11/19 02:21 PM
daman Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
Originally Posted by txbassman2019
For myself/my dad, it was a weekend that will be hard to forget! I was only able to practice Friday and even with the one day of practice, I spent six hours idling due to my trolling motor battery being shot and not having any juice to really do anything (Thank God the wind didn't blow). I did find quite a few piles that had fish in them, but could only imagine how many other people had found the same piles, judging by the amount of traffic on the water Friday.

Tournament day comes, start on the dam with 2 other boats, one not in the event, the other boat.. ( I later found out he was fishing TTO) proceeded to catch what seemed like 6-7 fish in a matter of 15 minutes, one of which was over 5lbs. I wasn't about to let that affect my mental attitude, so we picked up and ran up the lake to my piles.... Fast forward to 12:30 & all my piles fished, we had 3 keepers. (2) 10-inch spots, and one squeaker largemouth. In an effort to salvage the day, I started running water that I knew held fish in years past. I get to (what I thought was well known) an underwater tire reef on the lower end of the lake and not a soul on it - I proceeded to pick up a 10" ole monster to probe the tires with and barely get the texas rig over the first one before getting a slight "tick". I set the hook into our kicker, a skinny 6.5lb fish. Boy, this fish revamped my dad and I's confidence and proceeded to fill out our limit/cull up to our bag for day 1, 18.15. Unfortunately, I had a 2.09 spotted bass that croaked on the way into weigh in, dropping us to 17.65.

Day 2 - When we took off that morning, I honestly didn't know where to start. For whatever reason, I had a feeling we should go back to the tire reef we ended on the afternoon before. Only to get there and have some company waiting on us. Now, I know what you're thinking, the sand bass fisherman/fisherwoman that were there when we arrived, were probably some of the nicest people I've met on the water in a long time. As I was making my first cast, they pulled right up to the port side of our boat and were just wanting to know what to do to catch sand bass. Wasn't really sure, but I knew from the activity I had seen on the surface, they couldn't go wrong with a trap/topwater around the bridge. As I was trying to help them find some sand bass, my dad & I proceeded to put a limit in the boat in the first 10 casts. Unreal. We had caught probably 25 - 30 fish in that first hour, maybe had around 8-9lbs, nothing great but was still fun to experience with my pops. Around 8:30 - 9am, I decided to make a move to a ledge in 17ft, which dropped into 40. Saw three fish sitting on it... shut the motor off and circled back around. Tossed out my carolina rig and proceeded to sit down on the front deck of the boat and eat a handful of chex mix...... After 10-15 seconds of letting my rig soak, I set my propel water down and picked my rod back up, and felt tension, almost like I was stuck on a rock or hung. So, I held the rod still for a second and proceeded to feel a slight 'nod'. Instantly regretting the fact that I was still sitting on my @ss on the front deck, I rared back and set the hook. Only to have my rod not move and then begin to pulled back. Struggling to stand up, I gained my stance and fought what would be the biggest fish of the weekend. NESSY. She came up pissed and tried to get me around the lower unit... not today ole girl. My dad got her in the net and we booked it over to the ramp to meet Donnie for a weight. 8.88 on the scales....

We ended up making two culls shortly after that, and the rest of the day was pretty non-existent for us in terms of bites. The heat was unreal with the wind having died that afternoon.

We finished the event in 4th with 18.85 on day 2. Super thankful for all that TTO and the crew do for all of the anglers on the scene and behind the scenes. Looking forward to next year! Congrats to Mike Schultz and Kevin Bryant again on winning AOY, and congrats to the overall winners of the event.

What is soaking we’re you in the water...Had you caught this fish before since it’s name is nessi

Last edited by daman; 09/11/19 02:23 PM.
Re: Tales from TTO on Bob Sandlin Championship [Re: Champion1] #13279077 09/12/19 10:38 PM
Clark3 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Like the others had said, we had 4-5 patterns working and completely abandoned the deep fish. We were confident in an easy 15-16lbs throwing swim jigs on docks. We weren’t setting the hook much and basically got bites all over the lake. We were getting some big frog bites that never happened on game day.

Saturday we found some schooling fish on the bridge and I went after them Sunday. Finally figured out late the big fish would eat a giant flutter spoon. I boated one 6.5 lbs and hooked 4-5 of his buddies but they threw that spoon. It’s a fun yet heart breaking way to fish

[Linked Image]
Re: Tales from TTO on Bob Sandlin Championship [Re: Champion1] #13280057 09/13/19 08:34 PM
R
redraider4life Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Weighed a little over 10 lbs first day with only 4 keepers. Second day headed out and pulled up on a spot we had caught some on Saturday and 2nd cast had one in the boat. Thought we might get into them and nada. Ran all over the next few hours and decided we were just terrible fishermen and probably should just head to the house and watch football. Enjoyed the TTO trail and figured out real quick this trail is loaded with some great people that can flat out fish.

Life can be best understood looking back, but it can only be lived looking forward !
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide