Print Thread
Kayak fishing around San Antonio #13228006 07/28/19 10:04 PM
P
polishpreacher Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
P
So, i am wanting to do some early morning fishing around San Antonio tomorrow. Do any of yall have any fishing reports from any of the lakes around SA? Calaveras, Braunig, Boerne City Lake, McQueeney, Dunlap and such? I have been reading how unfriendly McQueeney has been towards fishermen and when i asked a friend of mine about where to try and launch, he suggested off of I10 just past the Guadalupe River make the turn around and there is somewhere to launch, from what it looks like on a map it is a public ramp on Dunlap? I am open to just about anywhere. Would love to get into some bass and cats if possible. I have heard Calaveras has been getting hard to fish as well, so any suggestions about where to try would be greatly appreciated!!!

Re: Kayak fishing around San Antonio [Re: polishpreacher] #13228013 07/28/19 10:17 PM
M
Marc-62 Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Dunlap has a ramp off I-10 but lake Dunlap does not exist any longer . The ramp will get you on the Guadalupe River .

Re: Kayak fishing around San Antonio [Re: polishpreacher] #13228482 07/29/19 12:35 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
You are probably already out on the water somewhere, but I'd give Calaveras a try.
Cats and Reds should be hot right now, but it depends on who you talk to.

Just one more cast!

Re: Kayak fishing around San Antonio [Re: polishpreacher] #13229086 07/29/19 08:13 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Boerne Lake has been good for cats drifting cut bait. Bass are a little more difficult. I will sometimes drift live crawdads for bass and have some luck. If you're in Karnes County, I would go fish Choke.

Last edited by JJ4MEL; 07/29/19 08:14 PM.
Re: Kayak fishing around San Antonio [Re: polishpreacher] #13229253 07/29/19 10:32 PM
P
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
P
I am actually on the South East Side of San Antonio right now, China Grove area, so this morning i went out to Calaveras. Did not go very far out from the kayak launch area, bout 3 light poles up the rip raff retaining wall. Caught 2 10inch redfish on frozen shrimp on the bottom and ended up cutting my anchor rope as i could not get it to break free....the hits were there, though i need to figure out what kind of hooks to use as most of the time, the fish had totally swallowed my hooks and i ended up cutting the line and hoping that they would survive. I need to figure out when they are hitting earlier so that they dont swallow the hook. Was a blast while i was out there....i am already thinking of heading out there again next Monday, but being at the park by 6 or 630 to really get the morning bite and avoid the sun.....lol any advice as to where to try our how much further to paddle out from that kayak ramp would be greatly appreciated!!!

Re: Kayak fishing around San Antonio [Re: polishpreacher] #13229821 07/30/19 01:11 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
That is a good area to fish, and usually I fish from where you did to about halfway to the dam gates.
Another good spot for catfish and reds, is the first two coves near the telephone pole and old roadbed, but it's about a twenty minute paddle across in front of the dam.
You could also try drift fishing using live talapia free lined with no weight, or with a Carolina rig in front of the dam area.
Trolling gold spoons, rattle traps, and swim baits is also good when the reds move in.
Try using circle hooks size 5/0 to 8/0 and when you put the bait on the hook don't fill up the gap of the hook as to let the circle hook work the way it supposed to.
You set the rod in a rod holder or hold it, but don't set the hook when you get a bite, but rather let the fish pull and then without yanking, just start reeling and the fish sets the hook on itself, and usually the hook ends up in the corner of the fishes mouth.
I'll use a #6 or #4 treble hook for the punch bait I use, but I do end up with some swallowing the hook.
With catfish since I will keep them, I just cut off the line and put them on a stringer or in the box, and retie on another hook.

Just one more cast!

Re: Kayak fishing around San Antonio [Re: Jimbo] #13229836 07/30/19 01:30 PM
T
Texdan Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Good info Jimbo, thanks for sharing. I have not yet been to Calaveras but am ready to get my yak out and give it a shot! How far is it from the yak launch to the rip rap? And is the kayak launch area at the park with the boat ramps?

Re: Kayak fishing around San Antonio [Re: Texdan] #13229859 07/30/19 01:46 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Texdan
Good info Jimbo, thanks for sharing. I have not yet been to Calaveras but am ready to get my yak out and give it a shot! How far is it from the yak launch to the rip rap? And is the kayak launch area at the park with the boat ramps?

When you go through the gate you have to stop at the pay window, and when you leave the pay window take a left around the building and follow the road toward the dam. The kayak launch is just a beach area at the end of the road, and you'll be right near the dam.
It's a good area for kayakers because you normally will have a prevailing southeast wind and the dam protects you from those winds and you can paddle across to the other side staying within a few hundred yards from the dam.
The downside is the guides and non-guides that troll constantly and they have no qualms about circling around a kayak so an airhorn can get their attention if they are bearing down on you and not paying attention.
The upside is If you are suddenly surrounded by guide boats, that means you are fishing in the right spot.
The guides communicate with radios, so where you see the armada, that is where the fish are, or so they think.

Just one more cast!

Re: Kayak fishing around San Antonio [Re: polishpreacher] #13230100 07/30/19 04:28 PM
P
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
P
When most of yall are fishing near those rocks, are yall anchoring or drifting? How does a drift chute (dont know its exact name) the thing that you can put in the water to slow a drift rather than fully anchor, work with a kayak? Also, how heavy of a weight are yall using when fishing the bottom? I noticed that often times, it seemed either that their is a small current in that area or something as my lines would often seem to end up fairly close to the kayak even when i casted them fairly far out. Some of this can be credited to the kayak moving a bit while i was anchored but not all of it. I just dont want to use more weight than i have to.

Re: Kayak fishing around San Antonio [Re: polishpreacher] #13230516 07/30/19 10:20 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I use the least amount of weight I can get away with, and yes there is a pretty strong current at times.
I usually anchor close to the dam if I want to stay out of the wind, and if drifting you can drift anywhere from 100 to 200 yards from the dam and stay out of the way of the PB's.
If the wind is out of the north blowing the entire length of the lake, I stay home.
I have a drift sock, but I think I used it maybe once or twice since I bought it several years ago.
I just hate fishing in a sustained wind, and probably why my catch ratio isn't as good as it could be?

Just one more cast!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide